Focus Fanatics Forum banner

taylor plug wires??

49K views 158 replies 60 participants last post by  redSVT_03 
#1 ·
hey has anyone tried these? i talked to a guy at nopi that had an 03 black svt and he had em on his car and said he liked them but it had alot of other stuff too, so i was wondering if anyone else has tried em, also i ordered a set of motorcraft azfs22c spark plugs since everyone is saying they work pretty good for them.

#118 ·
Ok been reading all this and had to do some testing , so I got a set of FR , Tylor (which I feel suck for wires) MSD , stock , and went on the dyno with a 03 SVT Focu making 152HP did all testing at the same temp and as close as I could

They all made the same power 152.?? , the wires were all free so I didnt have to choose form price , My self I run the FR wires and have for years

Next I went on a drive , went the same place on all test , same speed and had a buddy do the driving he didnt have a clue what I was doing other then tell me what one feels better , smoother , he is the guy I use for this because he dont care and gives me a truithfull opinion , I have tryed to catch him many times with things like say I changed something and didnt to see if he would react

All the testing on the wires was the same , he couldnt tell a thing so the taylor wires being a wonder wire is busted

I dont like taylor there claimes for breakdown I have found to many times to be a false claim and after they have been run for some time they get worse , this is the first taylors I have messed with in years and still nothing , BUT that doesent surprise me a good set of stock wires work very well

Tom

#121 ·
What I dont understand is WHY ? Why was everyone running out to get these wires , there was nothing proving they did anything yet people were going and buying them ?

Things that are worthless , we should start a thread
Under Drive Pullies
Ground Wire Kits
Plug Wires (unless yours are bad)
Coils (Unless yours is bad)

Tom

#124 ·
What I dont understand is WHY ? Why was everyone running out to get these wires , there was nothing proving they did anything yet people were going and buying them ?

Things that are worthless , we should start a thread
Under Drive Pullies
Ground Wire Kits
Plug Wires (unless yours are bad)
Coils (Unless yours is bad)

Tom
under drive pullies dont do nothing?

#128 ·
i would just like to thank everyone that posted helpful info on this topic. I have been looking at new wires and was gonna get some MSD's for 90 bucks. But im leaving right now to see if anyone in town can get me the taylor 8.2 thundervolts. and getting some of the motorcraft plugs as well :).... Now i just need to actually install the ground cables i purchased a couple weeks ago and ill be smooth sailin haha.

#129 ·
I needed plugs and wires this last week, and decided to also buy the 8.2 Thundervolts and Motorcraft copper plugs. The install went smoothly. No oil on the old plugs, all of which appeared to still be in firing condition. After buttoning it all back up, the first crank over chugged 5 times before starting up. Shortly thereafter, I was getting some smoke out of the exhaust, and the idle was a touch rough. Somewhat choppy. After the test drive, the car was idling smoother, but I am still getting the occasional small plume of smoke, and the car still doesn't crank over until 4-5 cycles. All in all, a slight degradation compared to my previous set up.
Obviously something is amiss. The plugs were accurately gapped to .060, torqued to 12lbs, boots went on smoothly and are fully seated. Did anyone else experience anything like this and end up finding a resolve? Ideas?

#132 ·
Indeed, boots are seated firmly at both ends. Silicon added. Plugs were gapped with the cheap $1 disc. Plugs came stock at .053 and were gapped up to .060, IE barely at all. Tested a couple of discs in store to ensure I had one registering consistent .53 on all plugs. Gapped up .007.

After another battery disconnect today, power throughout does seem smoother, a bit smoother idle, although car still cranks 4-5 times before turning over. Hoping a tune will sort that out.

#135 ·
I don't mean to diss on anybody here, but the Taylor thundervolts made a hell of a difference in my car. I had Motorcraft plug wires, and NGK plugs in it. I swapped to the the Taylors and copper cores gapped to .060 and she smoothed out and had more response. Also, on the top end I don't get the surge I used to. I know this topic has been beat to death, but around 50 bucks to smooth out the engine a bit........yeah.

#143 ·
Thats exactly what the new set of copper core SP463 plugs will do over the junky ngk plugs all you felt came from the plugs

There is NO gains from the costly taylor wires if you get any gains would get the same gains from a set of FR wires or new stock ones

Its you guys money buy what you want but the taylor wires are not going to gain any power

Tom

#136 ·
Okay I know this has been discussed numerous times and it seems that the Taylor Thundervolts are the general choice however, I'm wondering if anyone would recommend any of the slightly larger wires.

I've found (on summit racing) the Tayler Thundervolts 8.2mm - $47.99
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-82609/
The MSD 8.5mm set - $76.95
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-32939/
and the Davis Unified Ignition 10mm - $85.00

I know that for the most part if there is a difference it would probably not even be noticeable and for the money the taylor cables would probably be the best bet, but just putting it out there, would it be worth going the extra distance to the 8.5mm or 10mm cables?

#141 ·
weird?

Neither of the sites listed below NOR the Taylor site specify the SVT for Thundervolts. Whazzup with THAT?

Vehicle specific search from Taylor's site:
http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/index.cgi/main3
That ONLY returns:

Taylor Part # 53009
8mm Street Thunder; Ignition Wire Set; Custom Fit 4 cyl.

Waiting for a reply back from the Kind Person at Taylor.

-TooHi

#137 ·
Save your money. I thought the same thing when I bought my Taylor's but after some research I found out some interesting stuff. It isn't the thickness that suppresses noise, but more what the jacket is layered with and how its built.

That said, the 8.2mm Taylor's are more than adequate for the coil and rev-limit. If the engine could do 9000RPM you might benefit from 8.5mm. The S2000 stock wires are 9mm and it revs to 10k.

10mm is ridiculous for just about any car. Most wires that are 10mm are knockoff crap and of super low quality. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but not necessary.

I've been super happy with my Taylor 8.2mm for years.

#138 ·
I run 8.2 Taylors and love them. Anything bigger poses a problem getting them into the loom and having enough room under the cover.

#142 ·
I ordered what I thought was a custom set of Taylor 8.2 mm's from Race Pages a few weeks ago. When they arrived I found that one was cut too short to reach the plug and I had to return the set. I don't know if it was a defect with that individual set, or if the application was wrong for the car. I guess that's one problem with ordering over the internet. I returned them and got a refund, but still kind of a pain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.