Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Rs Body kit.

13K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Mindofwhite 
#1 ·
Hey guys, looking for an RS style body kit (one that I would not have to mod to go on a north american 01' zx3) I have searched the internet wide and have not been able to find one. (nor did the link to the one on the sticky bring anything up) If anyone could help out, let me know. Thanks!

#2 ·
The F2 RS bodykit would be the best. They are being made again soon.

GpWerks is re launching the old f2 urethane kit. They say they;ve addressed some issues as well.. fitment issues the original molds had.. they are very slow to launch tho... they just updated their website with the side skirts... keep in mind this is a replica kit..

and hurtinfocus will be making molds soon :D im waiting to see both end results to see which way to go.
http://www.gp-werks.com/Body-Kits-2000-2007_c112.htm

Keep an eye out ^there.

IMO do not get the RS front from extreme dimensions, you will have to custom-fab the bumper - just ask LouBomb about that.

Wait for the F2 RS kit from GPWerks!!!! Here are some pics:

#4 ·
Stay away from the ED kit... PITA... I have it.. Took me forever to get it right... And I still might switch over to the gpwerks kit...

Sent from my JailBroken iPhone.

#5 ·
You're about the 10th person I have seen say stay away from ED kits. I will wait for the gpwerks kit. Did they have an estimate on when it would be ready, and does anyone know around the price? I am getting my car dipped as soon as I get the kit I want on it.

#10 ·
because the bumpers are big? and low with scoops. and its to get them fit right and make them look factory. i have seen a svt with a rs kit and didnt look good but it wasnt a good job. if its done right it wont look to bad. like i said in my opinion
Opinions yes but not very informed.

I think you're confusing REAL RS parts with the USDM-converted versions. The Extreme Dimensions bumper was molded from a used urethane F2 (now GPwerks) bumper.....they just messed up in their molding process causing the extreme fitment issues people are having with that bumper. The F2 (GPwerks) and E.D. bumpers were designed to mimic the styling of the RS, while retaining use of the USDM turn signal lights, crash bar, and impact foam.....in an effort to cater to a clientelle that does not want to modify the foam and bar to fit true RS bumpers and source the correct lighting from abroad.

That said.....there's at least 4 or 5 SVT's that have been converted to REAL RS bodywork running around the USA, I'm one of them.
It was easier to make the kits to retain US style crash bars and foam and the fact that aftermarket companies cannot make a bumper cover that eliminates the US crash bars on a US model vehicle unless it is labeled for off-road use only and not on streets.

#7 ·
How would a rs kit look ricey on a non rs? then follow up with put a svt kit on a non svt? Lol if done right the RS kit is one of the best conversions for the mk1... Just look at rudel's, thielt's, and countless other people who've done it.... Now.. I do think... That if you don't have a IC the gap in front looks funky... I'm not a fan of just a hole..

As far as pricing nothing is set for the full kit... From guesstimating... I'd put a full kit around 1k.. Give or take a couple hundred...

They have been coming across issue with shipments and whatnot but hopefully by spring they should have everything ready... On FJ they have a sub section and they update it as they go.

#8 ·
because the bumpers are big? and low with scoops. and its to get them fit right and make them look factory. i have seen a svt with a rs kit and didnt look good but it wasnt a good job. if its done right it wont look to bad. like i said in my opinion

#9 ·
I think you're confusing REAL RS parts with the USDM-converted versions. The Extreme Dimensions bumper was molded from a used urethane F2 (now GPwerks) bumper.....they just messed up in their molding process causing the extreme fitment issues people are having with that bumper. The F2 (GPwerks) and E.D. bumpers were designed to mimic the styling of the RS, while retaining use of the USDM turn signal lights, crash bar, and impact foam.....in an effort to cater to a clientelle that does not want to modify the foam and bar to fit true RS bumpers and source the correct lighting from abroad.

That said.....there's at least 4 or 5 SVT's that have been converted to REAL RS bodywork running around the USA, I'm one of them.

#11 ·
Well, these answers have raised another question for the newb ( me :) ) Is it hard to find a SVT conversion? I have heard the the rear bumper is a quick change and fits easily. What about the front? This question of course comes from me not wanting to really dumb a grand on body things, when my main focus is the engine and suspension at this point and time.

#12 ·
Well, these answers have raised another question for the newb ( me :) ) Is it hard to find a SVT conversion? I have heard the the rear bumper is a quick change and fits easily. What about the front?
both are quick and painless easy mounting as far as the SVT bumpers are concerned

#18 ·
I have owned an F2 RS front bumper before. I have had many bumpers on my car already and it was by far one of the worst ones I have ever had. The fitament was absolute garbage, the material felt really cheap and it was just an overall bad bumper cover. I would not recommend it at all.

Here is a picture of it on my car. If you notice that on the left fender it is not properly aligned. Under the grill it drooped really bad. I have tried adding something under it to support it but it still had that droop in it. The right side was far worse in alignment than the left side.

To be honest, I would much rather have something from Wings West, Kaminari or Xenon on my car than another F2 or similar product. The bumper was cheaply molded and the polyurethane that was used felt just as cheap. I do not recommend getting that body kit, but in the end the choice is yours.

#19 ·
I was in the original group buy for the ED replica bumper... Fitment is terrible trust me... If you pull in the flares it starts cracking.. There is no flex like they advertise on YouTube... I wish I could buy one just to prove that wrong... I pretty much had to custom make mine... 3 cuts, lots of sanding and adding flex resin to the cuts to make it flex more... And installed brackets to pull in remainder flares and add support..

#21 ·
If you can pick one up for cheap, then buy it. Otherwise just avoid it completely. I don't know if GPworks is going to mold them using the same material or not. But if they are, the urethane is utter crap. Not sure how they are going to ship these either, but F2 would fold the sides inwards to save on shipping costs. If they shipped in cold weather and that box spent a lot of time in the back of a cold truck, you run the risk of having split sides and corners.

I would expect something like this if it were made out of fiberglass. I have never trusted those videos when they show them throwing it off the top shelf or someone jumping up and down on it. Usually when fiberglass bumpers are made they aren't always going to bolt right up and everyone that I have ever seen has always required a bit of modifications to fit properly. That's why I avoid fiberglass kits anymore lol. Yeah you can get some wilder designs out of them but it requires a lot of time and patience to deal with fiberglass parts. Not only that, the first time it hits something, your bumper is shattered across the road. At least with urethane you have a little bit of give and it more than likely won't destroy the bumper.

#27 ·
That silver front is a good price cuz you also get the turns, fogs and grill and stuff. That rear is over priced imo but I guess that's cuz I got mine for $300.

Still contemplatiing a euro front like the Rieger but after shipping and such would be about $800 lol.

#29 ·
pyroinsa's second link of the silver bumper is mine....I have a local guy asking me to trade for his sonic blue SVT front, which I'm strongly considering....would take $350+shipping for the SVT bumper if I trade (if you're interested....would come with fogs and lower grill)

#31 ·
Well if you want to go with Authentic RS parts I will be selling a front bumper, rear bumper, front bumper tray, spoiler, and possibly the 0 mile brand new RS engine spare I have too. Once my conversion gets done the second spare set goes up as I only need to keep one extra of each now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.