Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Intermittent stumbling/surging issue HELP!

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  locknut550 
#1 ·
Hello all, first I'd like to start off by saying I've been doing a lot of lurking and searching on this forum to try and help figure out my problem. I've probably spent about 6-8 hours searching trying to find an answer, and so far haven't gotten much of anything.

So anyways onto the problem. Now I have noticed this is very intermittent, and not gear dependent meaning it happens in almost every gear but at different rpms. For example; in first gear I can rev to about 5k - 5.5k without issue most days, but second falls flat on its face at 4.5k and wont go past 5k. Third usually falls on its face at 4k and doesn't go much past that, haven't really tried fourth and fifth. Now I've search high and low and so many different things came back like the coil pack, DPFE sensor, bad cat, etc. So far I've replaced new plugs, wires, coil pack with wiring harness, DPFE sensor, fuel rail pressure sensor, and replaced the cat with header(cat was definitely bad) and in the process of doing the header I deleted the EGR with the work around where you plug the vacuum line into the hi port on the DPFE sensor and haven't gotten any codes for that. But the car still runs like general crap and isn't smooth in the slightest. I'm just trying to get the car to run correctly, but I haven't the slightest clue as to what the issue is. Now the only check engine codes I get are for the rear 02 since it's not hooked up currently(waiting on MIL eliminators atm) but I don't have a CEL for EGR since I did the work around.

I bought the car about a month ago, it's a manual that has about 176k on the clock and I have no idea how well its been maintained. I picked it up as a winter car, and just want it to run reliably with its full power, and maybe come spring time start playing with it mod wise. But for now I really just want to fix this problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

[cheers]

See less See more
#2 ·
I moved your thread to the General Technical chat area so you can get some better help.

Sounds like your fuel pump is going out to me judging from your symptoms. The early models like yours were known for doing this. You need to upgrade to the newer style pump and assembly.

#3 ·
I was thinking that may have been the case but I was sure hoping it would have been something else. So now my questions is, with a fuel pump assembly from an 03-04 does it just bolt right in or do I need to mess with anything else, like different connectors and stuff?

#5 ·
Ah found a how to for it HERE. This is just for replacing the pump. When you buy a new assembly it should come with instructions for putting them in the older models or at least mine did. Oh and on these instructions I didn't cut anything I just unbolted the bent the heat shield out of the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.