Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What neat tricks and tips have you've found since owning?

727K views 1K replies 388 participants last post by  antbarlow76 
#1 ·
Just wondering what features, tips and tricks people have found since owning?

For me I found the hidden menu to be neat. Holding trip/reset down while starting car shows the menu. Holding again for 5 seconds returns you to normal operation.

Salesman didn't know that the SE has a line in for mp3 players. Inside glovebox on top.

#698 ·
What a surprise.Here's monkey number two.Do you got other useless knowledge to pass on?
Oh Jesus you are the worst ...

Use the search feature, if the thread isn't on the front page already, and find the one that talks about using Premium gas.

It's been proven by dozens that these engines handle premium fuel better, have smoother power delivery and man have actually seen MPG increases; mpg increases that may or may not be beneficial depending on how much premium fuel costs where you live.

Calling us monkeys and useless isn't winning you any favor with anyone here.

#701 ·
Running Shell 93 octane V-power almost exclusively. Get about 1.5 mpg better mileage vs. Shell 87 octane. Extra mileage could be less ethanol content in 93 vs the 87 octane. Generic sticker on pump states all grades may contain up to 10% ethanol. I believe I would run premium even if I did not see an increase in mpg because of better throttle response and just running smoother in general.

#702 ·
You could try an experiment. I often recommended that people experiment with all the different branded fuels, and even the different stations on their regular route. Do this for at least 2 tanks, and that includes different fuel grades. Most Foci have a 3-4 gallon reserve, so you don't get a benefit on the first tank. I've noticed as much as a 3 mpg difference between brand fuels- but it's different between vehicles. My wife's van runs great on Costco fuel, but my Focus doesn't.

#703 ·
@Mazingo

You do realize that calling everyone monkeys, I may come to the conclusion that either you have an ill obsession with them (bad experience when younger) or you don't know what monkeys are. Both of these are not something that speaks in your favor. So, please, get down from the tree and act as a human being. If you may.

#706 ·
#711 ·
I don't know if this feature has been mentioned earlier but just found this out today on my way home from work. If you adjust the center dash vents towards the floor, air is also directed out of the hidden vents above the HVAC controls. I'm still trying to figure out why Ford did it this way.

#713 ·
I'm pretty sure those hidden vents are intakes for sensing the internal cabin temperature on cars with automatic climate control. There will be a real small fan that pulls air in slowly from the cabin and measures the temperature. This is a pretty typical location that has been used on Audis for years. It doesn't exist on SE models.

That being said, its accidental and probably going to confuse the system to have air coming back out of these. But I could be wrong, and would be delighted if someone knows the truth.

#721 ·
Yeah, its basically the same starting procedure as the push button start without requiring you to keep your foot on the brake at the same time.

Turn to start release the key to run and it will crank itself over automatically.

#722 ·
This is an amazing thread that should be a sticky. I will say that I chuckled about quite a few "secrets" that are actually mentioned in the owner's manual. But there are a number that are genuine Easter eggs. My favorite is the card holder in the dummy switch below the hvac (where the parking assist switch is on those so-equipped). I was looking for a convenient place for my office parking garage pass, and this is perfect.

I'll add one that is in the manual for those that haven't read it. One press on the moonroof button opens it automatically, but only to about 7/8 open (to minimize buffeting). Another press will open it fully.

#723 ·
With the car off and keys out of the ignition. I accidentally pressed the Power button (Volume Knob) and the radio came on. Pressed it again and it goes back off. Pretty neat little feature. Especially if you sit in the car (with the car off) and the radio goes off automatically.

#742 ·
My 2013 SE hatchback has 16" steel wheels, interior trunk release, heated seats and mirrors, SYNC, cruise, etc. hate the fact they dropped fog light and SIRRUS as standard features on the 2013. sure this is just a price point thing.

I noticed that when the headlights are in auto mode, the high beams will only flash and not stay on. Had to change the light to ON position for the high beams to stay on.

#743 ·
Something seems messed up there if your high beams won't stay on when the auto lamps are enabled and it determines that the head lamps are needed. However if you're trying to turn them on in full day light where the sensor says the headlamps are not needed it will not turn them on full, even though you will be driving with the headlamps on all the time anyway in Canada due to the DRL requirements.

#744 ·
Just took out the car, high beams don't stay on when in auto mode. Add this to the list of issues all before my first oil change. Other issues, car has stalled twice, poor fuel mileage, trim on automatic shifter is peeling off.

#746 ·
Don't know if it's good or bad but I discovered that if you use the fob to pop the trunk open while the doors are still locked, the car alarm goes off. Discovered this at 4 a.m. when trying to stow my luggage for a road trip.

Needless to say the alarm is loud enough to wake the whole household, especially if takes you a few seconds to realize what's going on. [:D]

#748 ·
That's good to know. On a few occassions I've had all 4 doors closed and locked but the trunk open to get groceries. My arms full and overloaded since I'm lazy and 2 trips from the parking to my apartment is far too much to ask. Anyways when I go to close the trunk and I can't push down hard enough, it just kind of "thunks" against the latch, the alarm will go off. I thought it was a perimeter thing detecting a shock against the car.

#751 ·
For me I found the hidden menu to be neat. Holding trip/reset down while starting car shows the menu.
Tried this last night. Nothing. Held down the left OK button as if I were resetting the trip meter. Did that while starting the car. All that happened was that the trip meter reset.

Actually, on my very first attempt, I turned the key and the trunk lid popped open. That was very weird.

Am I doing it wrong?

2013 SE Sedan.

#752 ·
Did you hold it down before you turned the key until awhile after the computer started? If so then that's odd as its always worked for me, but if you waited until after the computer started to display the trip data you waited too long and it won't go into test mode.

#755 ·
Not to sound like an ass, but is it that hard to see the speedo right next to it?[driving][driving]

#771 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.