Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Synthetic oils

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
So whats the story w/ Pennzoil advertising their ultra/ platinum synthetic oil runs cleaner than Mobil 1/ Valvoline synpower/ Castrol edge w/ syntec? Do they have more detergents in their oil over the other's or what?

#2 ·
Well. I would say they do have a better advertising budget...

But in all seriousness, there are a couple of ways to approach this subject.

First - would could look at virgin oil analysis (VOA) and determine what they are using for additives. The plus side is that we would have an idea of what is going into the oils. The down side is that a "good" VOA may not translate to a good oil analysis - meaning the oil may show good properties during the clean analysis but may have the same (or worse) wear as a differently formulated oil. Finally, there are some additives which may not show up during a VOA. Most famously is Valvoline, which seems to use some additives which don't show up during VOAs. Yet, somehow people still seem to get decent oil analysis out of these oils... so is it a lack of additives, or just different additives? Only the scientists with the proprietary information will ever know..

Second - oil analysis. Run theirs for 8500 and then sample, then run mobil 1 for 8500 and sample. Its not 100% scientific, but it does give a CLOSER idea of which oil is working better.

#3 ·
I have been using Mobil 1 for yrs, then the Pennzoil guys say their stuff is cleanest synthetic out there. I guess I'll stick to Mobil 1.

#4 ·
Misplaced self aggrandizing useless blather............who cares how clean the oil runs?

Modern oils run so clean that even the conventional non-synthetic ones leave engines clean as a whistle inside even after 150K+ miles.

Analyze the oil???

This would be like bitching about 2/10th of a degree of error in a front end alignment when the tires will never know it, although there are those here who do that aplenty too.

Quite simply a total waste of time.

#5 ·
The Pennzoil people are saying that their oil cleans out your motor more than others. And w/ that I was wondering if they, Pennzoil has more detergents or what, thats all. No big deal, I just see the adds in a lot of magzines.

#6 ·
I've switched to Pennzoil Ultra only because of the lower NOACK numbers. 6.4% vs 11% for Mobil1. The low NOACK numbers are better for D.I. engines. Not really concerned with the 'cleanliness', as pretty much any syn will keep parts as clean as they need to be.

#12 ·
If your intention is to run longer OCI's, you can spend $35 and get a TBN report, and estimate how long you can safely run that oil in your engine before the additives are depleted. If you can do this and extend your OCI by a few thousand miles, it won't take long before you've saved enough money on oil changes to make up the price of the analysis and more. So, there is at least a potential savings.

This is only one benefit among many of UOAs. We're all free to spend our hard-earned dollars as we please, but I feel it's worth our time to learn about the potential benefits of oil analysis before dismissing it as a waste.'

I've switched to Pennzoil Ultra only because of the lower NOACK numbers.
I've done the same--I just hope Shell isn't lying about the NOACK spec. I will say that consumption has been very low for the past 5K miles I've been running PU.

#10 ·
Thank you.

Look at a dictionary for the definition of the word 'value', it means getting something of higher worth for lesser cost. I do not consider oil analysis to be of great 'value' to the common man even though I know what it does. It costs too much to show things that can be logically deduced without the added cost. There are enough facts in books out there to make plenty educated 'guesses', you might say, that will have excellent outcomes in 99.5% of the cases without the need for splitting atoms on the oil. Very close to the arguing that goes onsite here all day long about say 2/10ths of a degree error in computer alignments, quite simply wasted time there too. I can say that having worked on thousands of vehicles including some pretty high output ones and simply never needed to analyze oil. Gotta wonder how the world ever kept spinning without it in the old days don't you?

Now, if I were in control of a fleet, maybe, but on a single owner vehicle, no way. I've got Bobtheoilguy for that. Being able to read is a far better value than analyzing oil.

Broad stroke? I submit that since most DON'T do it, it REQUIRES a broad stroke, there's far more of us than of you (those who seem to consider it necessary and of high value).....................

Value?

Here's some. I use conventional oil at 7500 miles oil changes, the last 5 cars I've bought are still running fine, I can't seem to break them. Collectively 850,000+ miles there and not one analysis, no synthetic oil either. If I go under valve covers the motors are clean as a whistle. Someone tell me how much money I've saved to do other things with.........................................that's value jack.

Not 'willfully ignorant', I have just tuned oil analysis out as nice but not necessary in my world. I do take note also that all the OEMs do not require it to maintain warranties either. I'm just taking the same leap of faith they do.

#13 ·
Thank you.

Look at a dictionary for the definition of the word 'value', it means getting something of higher worth for lesser cost. I do not consider oil analysis to be of great 'value' to the common man even though I know what it does. It costs too much to show things that can be logically deduced without the added cost. There are enough facts in books out there to make plenty educated 'guesses', you might say, that will have excellent outcomes in 99.5% of the cases without the need for splitting atoms on the oil. Very close to the arguing that goes onsite here all day long about say 2/10ths of a degree error in computer alignments, quite simply wasted time there too. I can say that having worked on thousands of vehicles including some pretty high output ones and simply never needed to analyze oil. Gotta wonder how the world ever kept spinning without it in the old days don't you?
You say that, but you don't provide a single example of the "guesses" you are going to make.

Are you going to guess on the TBN of your oil after 7500 miles? What if you want to run extended drain intervals? Will you guess what it is at 12000? or 15000? or 20000?

Are you going to guess on the flashpoint of the oil, or determining if you have fuel dilution before major problems start?

Would you guess if there is coolant getting into the oil?

What if you’re leaching other metals? Wouldn't it make sense to catch a failing bearing before the engine starts knocking?

It is unfortunate that you don't use such a valuable tool in your shop. While I only turned wrenches professionally for a short time, the shop I managed used this tool FREQUENTLY. Many major engine manufacturers, including Cat and Cummins, offer this service themselves.

How did the world keep spinning before this technology? Oil was changed too frequently, and money was wasted. Potential problems were missed until the components failed. We used to have exchanged like this on paper and pen.. Would you prefer we went back to sharing information that way, also?

Now, if I were in control of a fleet, maybe, but on a single owner vehicle, no way. I've got Bobtheoilguy for that. Being able to read is a far better value than analyzing oil.

Broad stroke? I submit that since most DON'T do it, it REQUIRES a broad stroke, there's far more of us than of you (those who seem to consider it necessary and of high value).....................

Value?

Here's some. I use conventional oil at 7500 miles oil changes, the last 5 cars I've bought are still running fine, I can't seem to break them. Collectively 850,000+ miles there and not one analysis, no synthetic oil either. If I go under valve covers the motors are clean as a whistle. Someone tell me how much money I've saved to do other things with.........................................that's value jack.

Not 'willfully ignorant', I have just tuned oil analysis out as nice but not necessary in my world. I do take note also that all the OEMs do not require it to maintain warranties either. I'm just taking the same leap of faith they do.
I'm glad that 7500 mile conventional oil changes work for you with your driving style on your vehicles in your climate.

The original question posted was "So whats the story w/ Pennzoil advertising their ultra/ platinum synthetic oil runs cleaner than Mobil 1/ Valvoline synpower/ Castrol edge w/ syntec? Do they have more detergents in their oil over the other's or what?"

You going to tell me that you can GUESS on the answer to this question? Ok. Guess away with your money, but don't recommend it other folks looking for an answer.

It is highly possible that even at 7500 intervals you have wasted a ton of money over the lives of those vehicles. A proper oil analysis could have indicated the ACTUAL oil change interval you should have been using, and may have saved you hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars over the years. That, my friend, is value.

#11 ·
At around $25 for a 5-quart jug of Mobil1, it does seem a little backward to spend $25 on an oil analysis so you can determine whether or not you can save $25 by not buying oil.

And Qweesy, please come out of the 70's and join us here in 2012. Pennzoil conventional is of a completely different forumation than it was when it was causing sludge in your Pontiac Catalina, and Pennzoil synthetics are not even remotely related to their conventional oil in regard to forumation.

Mobil1 ceased to be 'the best' when they downgraded from group IV base stocks to group III. At best, they're now known for being marketing champs for selling highly-refined group III oils as 'true synthetics'.

#16 ·
>>>>So it sounds like Mobil 1 isn't that good, huh?<<<<
If your intention is to run longer OCI's, you can spend $35 and get a TBN report, and estimate how long you can safely run that oil in your engine before the additives are depleted. If you can do this and extend your OCI by a few thousand miles, it won't take long before you've saved enough money on oil changes to make up the price of the analysis and more. So, there is at least a potential savings.

This is only one benefit among many of UOAs. We're all free to spend our hard-earned dollars as we please, but I feel it's worth our time to learn about the potential benefits of oil analysis before dismissing it as a waste.'

I've done the same--I just hope Shell isn't lying about the NOACK spec. I will say that consumption has been very low for the past 5K miles I've been running PU.
What is a NOACK spec? So Pennzoil Ultra is the best, say compared to Mobil 1?

#14 ·
I can easily refute 3/4 of that but I'm tired right now. Simply put, not so in my world, even analysis results in a guess. Completely and totally unnecessary. You will always get some leaching and dilution, impossible not to. No guesswork there.

Save thousands? I don't even spend thousands, I'd be hard pressed to save hundreds. You got me generating cash now. Actually I do, I save drained oil to use for other things, $2.50 a quart you know.............

You guys worry way too much about things that impact you way too little. You'll figure that out in another twenty or thirty years just like I did.

#18 ·
You guys worry way too much about things that impact you way too little. You'll figure that out in another twenty or thirty years just like I did.
Yeah, I've heard people tend to get lazy in their old age. [giddy]

#15 ·
Oil is easy , change it regular , if you change it before its used up then its still cheaper then an engine
If you run the engine hot change it right away

If you race or run the car hard change it a little sooner

Do this and you will be good with any oil you choose synthetic or non synthetic

Tom

#20 ·
Just 2 harp in,,,oil anal can be good for identifying individual component wear. change your oil & filters. buy great filters. my oil is always no darker than apple cider. the kind you let you kids drink. i don't change my oil but every 10k or so. and i'm a castrol syn man.

#21 ·
Being in a exstreme weather conditions, I'd think I want to change the oil & filter a little closer to 5000 miles in Alaska.

#23 ·
'Yeah, I've heard people tend to get lazy in their old age.'

LOL.

More like we've just figured out you can check evaporative qualities of oil by simply checking the dipstick................

Great filters become something of a moot point when much of the oil is bypassed around the filter as many engines do.

Guess at flashpoint? When was the last time anyone saw a motor with the oil on fire?.................................I thought so, not much of a guess there if you ask me. On watercooled engines the oil will not flash unless something is wrong, if so you'd see the results in deposits under valve cover. Since mine are clean then I submit there is no need for a guess there. Answer seems pretty clear to me.

Fuel dilution? Easy, there will always be a slight amount, you can't get around it. If more then you will know because the engine is not running right. Modern PCM'ed cars keep that under much, much better control. In fact that is the major reason for engines lasting as long as they do now, the lack of dilution. I can think that out, or no guessing there either.

I use mechanical oil pressure gauges to keep track of bearing condition and the like. You will catch loose bearings before they break stuff if you just pay attention to one. Cheaper than analysis and pay for it once only. No guessing there.

This ain't rocket science, if you keep your eyes open you can detect most of what an analysis will show without getting one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.