Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Full svt focus swap into an spi wagon

118K views 495 replies 53 participants last post by  felixthecat 
#1 ·
Hey guys so i recently purchased on 03 svt focus for dirt cheap , there is a lot of rot and rust on the body and it wont pass safety where i live. So i looked on kijiji or (craigslist) if your in the US and i found a wagon for $300 with a blown engine ended up paying $280 for the wagon , the wagon has the SPI motor so im assuming one of the valves dropped because i hear they are known for that. Other than that the wagon is in really good condition and the owner just wanted it out of his driveway...... Anyways im wondering on how hard this swap will be ? any suggestions or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Im swapping pretty much everything over , heated seats , dash etc. etc. Im also wondering if the current transmission will work thats in the wagon? the wagon is auto?. Otherwise i will just swap everything over. I plan on boosting it in the late future , we have a full intercooled supercharger kit that will eventually go on it. So another question would be the wiring harness for the engine and the dash , will i have to swap these over or will the harness thats in the WAGON fit with the svt engine? Any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.

#170 ·
Well after a lot of aggravation in going to multiple part stores i finally found someone smart enough to get me the right cv boot . Special
Ordered it and it's gonna be here tomorrow . Some people don't understand the difference between the regular zetec and svt parts . Replaced the t-stat and valve cover gasket today so just finishing off these suspension parts and I should have it on four wheels by tomorrow. So all in all 5 more things on the list . 1. Cv boot fix 2.Ball joint drivers side 3.rear disc setup 4. Fixing rear seat bracket or delete rear seat in order to get car safetied . 5. Lowering spring or cut springs .

#174 · (Edited)
Well everything looks good , we got everything on . Problem I have to tackle tomorrow are the cooling fans , for some reason they are not engaging ..so maybe I missed a connector somewhere .did some digging on here and looks like the resistors are a common issue , and sometimes the relays melt .

#176 ·
I still haven't figured out my fan problem. I swapped out the complete fan assembly thinking that was the issue but still the fans never come on ... Idled the car for a good 20 minutes revving off and on to get the temp up but still nothing .i might just try and get a brand new fan resistor and see if that helps .

Attachments

#180 ·
Yea maybe I'm over thinking this fan thing . And thanks , just the rear disc breaks and getting the exhaust on properly and I should be able to get it registered , safetied and e-tested .

#181 ·
I'm contemplating on plasti-dipping the whole car . I have svt side skirts for it but they are blue . Also have the sport wing . I mean just having these painted alone would probably be more than the cost of dipping the whole car . Or I thought of just leaving the car the way it is . Paint the side skirts and spoiler black and eventually get the front bumper painted to match the car .

#182 ·
Sick in the pic.

For my charcoal/liquid grey I thought about contrasting the hood/trunk/bumpers/accents in grey Teflon. Like inside pots and pans Teflon. But all links I saw and videos I watched showed it to be baked on. Soooo back to the drawing board. Still like the idea of a semi gloss/matte finish over a flat black type.

#184 ·
Yeah the lines are different for the AC, I think we actually cut the ones on the svt thinking that the wagons were the same , idiots Lol . Started to take apart the rear brakes on the svt and damn those bolts are rusty . Got about halfway , two bolts are stopping me from pulling one side off .

#186 ·
James it b only took 3 days for my swap. And it was driving on the afternoon of the third day.
iirc we reused my zetec a/c compressor so we didnt mess with the lines. And just tweaked them a bit to clear the header. (Its stupidly tight quarters in there.

#189 ·
Yea I tried bending them on the correct angle but it's just a pain , especially with the header right there . Ended up breaking the line ...lol oh well. Should have the rear brakes done by this weekend. So far I've only backed the car in the driveway but it's funny how different the clutch is or should I say how easy it is compared to my car that has a stg 3 clutch. But everything else looks good . Apart from the flickering airbag light, which appears whenever it wants to . It's so damn close to being on the road !

#190 ·
Rear discs are swapped , spent most of my time getting a snapped bolt out where the spindle attaches , ended up drilling it out then tapping new threads . Ran out of brake fluid so getting some 2morrow so I can bleed the brakes . Connected the abs wires all around . Only thing left to do is the e brake lines on each side which shouldn't take long. I'm thinking of just deleting the rear seat completely until I can fabricate a proper bracket . I know for sure they won't safety the car the way they are now .

Attachments

#191 ·
Closer pic , on the svt the bolt that holds the brake line bracket was seized so we had to cut the bolt heads off , the wagons gave us no trouble at all.

Attachments

#193 ·
Still a few things left interior wise to bolt up , rear door cards need to be installed , center console . Glove box

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.