Focus Fanatics Forum banner

anyone NOT like the stock tires?

19K views 121 replies 63 participants last post by  Fresh1 
#1 ·
i personally don't like them. very boring tread design. i have the 17'' black painted wheels. these Conti tires seem like cheap touring tires. not really made for handling. i was looking at getting this combo.

See less See more
#3 ·
The all weather 17" Conti's hydroplane very easily.

#6 ·
I HATED the Conti's that came with my Focus. (16inch LRR). They had no grip, were very bumpy, were quite loud, and hydroplaned like you wouldn't believe. At 2500 miles I swapped them out for a set of Michelin Primacy MXv4's and have never been happier.

They are all seasons, but they are considered "performance all seasons" by most places I've looked online. They are very quiet, comfortable, and grip like you wouldn't believe. They handle themselves well in light snow too, and rain doesn't bother me anymore.

#11 ·
I HATED the Conti's that came with my Focus. (16inch LRR). They had no grip, were very bumpy, were quite loud, and hydroplaned like you wouldn't believe. At 2500 miles I swapped them out for a set of Michelin Primacy MXv4's and have never been happier.
They are all seasons, but they are considered "performance all seasons" by most places I've looked online. They are very quiet, comfortable, and grip like you wouldn't believe. They handle themselves well in light snow too, and rain doesn't bother me anymore.
I will get the Michelin's soon as well. These Conti's are very loud I have always had great luck with Michelin's sometimes you get what you pay for.

#13 ·
16" Continental ContiProContacts here. Less then 7,500 miles on the fronts and they're almost to the wear bar, rears are about 3/4ths there. Haven't had any hydroplane issues, but it's almost not worth it to bother with getting them swapped out with the tire warranty if it just needs to be done again in less then 6 months. Heavy stop-go traffic, and I tend to be a bit quick in the corners... but that's a lot of wear over a little time.

Tempted to just buy some Falken ZE-512s (do hydroplane like hell when you have 1/4th tread left). Lasted about 14K on my Cobalt, but they had great grip, and didn't feel so... squirrely.

#21 ·
What? You must drive like an absolute insane (completely unsafe) maniac and don't rotate your tires. I have the same tires, drive and corner hard, and my tires easily have another 25,000 miles left in them. I've also autocrossed/daily driven on low tread wear rated tires and never got less than 15,000 miles out of them. So you're either talking out your a-- or shouldn't have the privilege to drive.

I'm happy with the tires for daily driving and spirited driving.

#22 ·
^^YEAH....I drove very "spirirted-ly" on my old tires, Potenza RE950 High performance all seasons....they were rated at 340 tread wear, and went 50000 miles! I have pushed these Conti's to the limit (induced understeer) on highway clover leaf on-ramps, and the tire broke free very smoothly and predicatably...

They are a competent tire on a car that cost 20K [thumb]

#23 ·
I set my tire pressure (38F 33R) to achieve a fairly balanced drift, and very occasionally drive like that. I now have exactly 9.5/32 of tread left on all four tires measured at the middle, with 2K on the car. Assuming these actually measured the 10/32 that Continental states, since I did not check them when new, it would take me 24K miles before they hit the 4/32, the point which I get new ones.

I have no complaints about traction, including in rain and light snow. Seat of the pants tell me that my car will hang with my buddy's 2004 Mustang GT in corners, and he thinks the same, but his now wears Riken.

If they don't have the sidewall hernias that some complain about, I might well buy another set, but it appears that many people would prefer the DWS from Continental judging by Tire Rack polls.

#28 ·
Sorry dude. I've spent plenty of time working with and around tires. They don't just wear down that quickly with highway and stop and go traffic. Hell I got two full years out of a set of kumho asx's that started off life with a day going round and round Nelson ledges. And by 2 full years I mean through western new York winters too. I wasn't asking for an explanation. My post was about the stock tires and the only way they're going to wear at a rate you described.
Posted via FF Mobile

#30 ·
The Conti's aren't very good if you want to do anything other than commute down the freeway during warmer months. They will suit probably 95% of Focus owners just fine and last long enough to make those owners happy enough.

For anyone who drives a bit more spiritedly they are pretty terrible and during the winter they are even worse. But then again anyone who does drive their car in any other way than just a typically commuter, usually puts dedicated summer tires on their cars with winter tires if needed. I plan on swapping my tires pretty soon, I just couldn't justify scraping brand new tires no matter how much I didn't like them.

#31 ·
I drive very spiritedly, and I find them to be just as good in the winter as my old BFGs for turning, and my old Potenzas as well. If you are pushing the Conti's past their level of adhesion, you are driving too fast or agressively for the street, period.

#32 ·
LOL contis... I love my Michelin Pilot Sport 3's! Probably not going to love them as much when it's time to replace them, but since I'm switching between summer and winter wheels, the PS3s should last me a few years. Now I just can't wait to put them back on, winter tires are mushy...

#33 ·
Just so its clear, its not the brand your unhappy with? its the particular tire right? as has been stated, continentals are used on many high performance cars, which the focus is not, yet...

#46 ·
I bought this $hitbox to commute and I have fun doing it just fine on these tires. The way some of you describe how inadequate the Contis are Id think you were driving a legit sports car. Summer performance tires on a Focus? Lol go buy another car to mess around in.

#55 ·
I personally have a huge issue with the stock tires for a very specific reason and these are the only tires I have ever had with this issue. The treads catch rocks like there is no tomorrow. I have to pull a minimum of 3 rocks out of the treads each week. It is unbelievably annoying. As soon as these meet the end of their usable life or one of them needs replacing, I am going to grab some 17" wheel/tires off of tirerack to replace them. Does anyone else have this problem? I've never driven a car that grabbed so many.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.