Focus Fanatics Forum banner

When did you change your timing belt?

When Did you change your timing belt

61K views 204 replies 141 participants last post by  SVTF119z 
#1 ·
Please vote when you did this.

If you haven't please post your current milage and when you plan to do this.
When can have a good informative thread fro us all if enough participate.

#180 ·
i did mine just after 100k....got the car at 92k...i'm not for sure if it had been changed perviously as i had gotten it from a car lot who had received it from it's second owner (me being the 3rd)

#182 ·
timing belt and water pump

I had timing belt replaced at 60000 and then just last week at 125,00 and I'm really upset with the garage. They have a new guy working all the calls for service and he apparently doesn't know much about cars. I told him I wanted the timing belt and water pump replaced and he told me it wasn't necessary to change the water pump. Now that the work is done I'm finding out it should have been replaced. So now I'm worried the water pump will go out. I've got to find a more dependable shop. I drive a 2004 ford focus zx3 with the zetec engine.

#183 ·
I had timing belt replaced at 60000 and then just last week at 125,00 and I'm really upset with the garage. They have a new guy working all the calls for service and he apparently doesn't know much about cars. I told him I wanted the timing belt and water pump replaced and he told me it wasn't necessary to change the water pump. Now that the work is done I'm finding out it should have been replaced. So now I'm worried the water pump will go out. I've got to find a more dependable shop. I drive a 2004 ford focus zx3 with the zetec engine.
Well if you replaced it at 60k then I wouldn't worry about it.

#191 ·
I am still wanting to do mine but have no one around to help me with it. I am a little under 88k for mileage but worry that the timing belt is 10 years old. I have found a Ford related file that shows change intervals for the various timing belts in different engines. 2.0 liter interference engines are listed as a 60,000 mile change interval..

I wonder if anyone would like to do a clinic on this at FocusFest? I would volunteer my SVT as a display guinea pig for the training of myself and others on how to do this. I have read all the info about this and think I understand it but I am not wanting to try to do it without two more hands to help.

I have done extensive work on my SVT this spring (see 10th Anniversary updates thread..) but have let this slide hoping to find someone to help with the change out. I recently began driving my '99 Taurus again to keep from racking up miles on the SVT before this changeout is done. I have bought the special cam tools, torx drivers, e18 socket, water pump and serpentine belt as well for this update.

#193 ·
Replaced the timing belt on my '99 Contour at about 82,000 miles after I started getting unusual noises coming from the engine - the noises were from a pulley that was starting to split and was hitting the belt cover.

I had my mechanic replace the tensioners, pulleys, and water pump as well - learned the lesson about the water pump the hard way from my '88 Prelude. Regarding the Prelude, I had my mechanic (different one at the time) change the belt, tensioners, and pulleys at about 95,000 miles, but left the water pump be. Sure enough, almost one year to the day I had the timing belt replaced, the water pump developed a leak. Not enough to leave me stranded, but the pump had to be replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.