Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Review: Raceland Coilovers 98-04 Focus

83K views 191 replies 65 participants last post by  rambleon84 
#1 ·
Product: Ride height adjustable coilovers for the 98-04 Ford Focus.
Link: I got mine from Here <--- click.
Price: $424.67 with the 1USD=0.631078GBP currency rate.
Shipping: -/+ 8 days.
Communication: The communication is very short with "Phil", but he always answered all the questions.

* i'll update with pictures and stuff when I receive them

#161 ·
Go higher-end if you plan on competing with your car; I autocross and they're not ideal for it. H&Rs or something like it would be what you'd (I) need for that.

That being said; these are good for a nice drop and better aggressive stance! I've had min on since last fall, and no problems yet! (*fingers crossed*)

#159 ·
i would there are very nice for the price i havent had any problem with them,and im almost 2k miles with them and here the roads are awful :S

#169 ·
This has got to be one of those new products that we all took to better than the expectations... I remember buying mine, with a "fingers-crossed-that-they-don't-suck" metality after reading Armanduh's review... and once installed they are definitely better than the worn out struts/shocks I replaced. Shortly after that they were sold out, though. I can tell just from feeling mine, that a more premium kit would feel better!

Great for the price though!

#175 ·
Ohhh, by the way I should note.....

The front coilover has two springs, the initial tall stiff spring and the short dead spring. I removed the dead springs since there is ABSOLUTELY no reason for it, you can compress it with your fingers.... This was also done so i can go even lower.

Second note, I removed the dead spring from the rear coils. You can cut coils and have a great outcome as long as you know what you are doing. I believe it was 1.25 coil that was cut off the top half of the spring, this gave me amazing results for doing stance. Now when I take a corner real quick the car doesnt have ANY give whatsoever, saving the lip of my rims lol.

#179 · (Edited)
Not familiar with the differences, but assuming they are mostly the same. I've had the new Raceland coils on for a week and a half. They are stiff, run smooth on some roadways others like highways, not always. Love the way they sit, as I'm at 23 1/2 fender height and love the way it makes my car looks. Overall so far, very happy with them as they do what I want, make my care look low. I only use the car as a daily driver, that's it. I have 205/40/17 tire size on stock svt 5 stars. So have to be careful with hitting potholes, and always worry about bends due to the stock svt rims are very soft??? But overall, I believe they are worth the price for what you pay if you are simply looking for low, not so much for ride quality and extreme driving!

#184 ·
Ok so I read this entire thread and searched FF and the "other forum" as its called, and have yet to have my original question answered. Are there any pics/reviews of the "NEW" race lands that apparently just started selling again last month? Or are they exactly the same as the ones originally sourced by Armanda?

#185 ·
I bought a set of the “new” Raceland coil overs on 11/22/13. So far I feel that for the price the system is not bad. Ride quality is ok and not bouncy as I thought it would be initially. Something I didn’t like was the lack of instructions with the package, I have done suspension work before so I knew what I was doing as far as the basics but the biggest question I had was the orientation of the springs and adjusting piece in the back… Should I have placed the adjustment sleeve on top of the spring, or at the bottom? Any ways I installed them under the spring (how I saw it in a tutorial posted here). I have heard people complaining about the shocks going bad fairly quick but in most cases they have alter the setup somehow, some of them remove the helper spring, cut the springs or have done something else. I have not done any of that and so far I am very happy with them. I wish I could lower the rear a lil more without modifying the system but oh well it was pretty cheap to begin with. [twothumbs]

#186 ·
I installed everything that showed up in the box; no problems yet... save for the autocross woes.

Again on that tip: see my comments above. That said, mine continue to hold up. If any of you lot plan on making the pilgrimage to Ford Nationals I'll be more than happy to talk to you about this until you don't wanna talk to me anymore! I did a how-to on FJ when I got mine, and I installed it in a friend's garage while I was putting myself through Lincoln Tech... I had a pretty decent idea what I was doing and triple-checked EVERYTHING against Armanduh's thread... the pics I took were to supplement the sections I sorta guessed on.

I'm not one of the people that tried three different coilover setups, though. So I can't speak from experience on the differences. I have a hunch the high-end sets feel stock until pushed, whereas these feel tighter than that.

#187 ·
I got mine 2 days ago and have them installed already ride height was down to 1 finger gap all around.. I wanted at least tire tucking bit guess not.. The ride is amazing though no bouncing at all! My friend has some 1000 dollar suspension on his Toyota FRS and his bounces lol but I'd say they are a really nice ride. Anyways I want to know if there's any modifcations I can do to them so I can go lower of anyone can help me out be great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.