Focus Fanatics Forum banner

The 2012 Window Tint Thread

395K views 924 replies 326 participants last post by  Tiger-Heli 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's see 'em! [headbang]

#680 ·
70% allows 70% of the light in aka. Its clear.

Most cops don't hassle you for tint until, they can not see at least a shadow of what is going on in the car. Granted, there are the ones out there looking to get out of the car and move around but, they also use the tint as a means of finding a bigger offense.

#684 ·
Its a Magnetbra - http://www.magnetbra.com/index.php.
I first read about it in this thread - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265777&highlight=magnetbra&page=3.

Kinda like a big fridge magnet - The first installation was bit of a pain and took some time and patience, but now whenever I wash the car or after a heavy rainfall, I just peel half of it and the edging strip back , wipe it and the hood dry of any moisture, lay it back down, put the edging strip back on and then do the other side, takes just a few minutes.
I must admit , that at first I was a little unsure of the look, but now I love it and have had many compliments about the look. And it does protect the front edge of the hood.
For the price compared to other car bras I would definitely recommend it.

#689 ·
I wonder if any of you can help me with a question I have. First of all I am in WA so I guess the tint laws are 35% but you can't tint the front passenger, driver, or windshield :/ but I see tons of cars who do it that way. How likely is it to get pulled over for having 35% all the way around?

Also, How do they tint windows? I have some star wars decals on my back window that I would really like to keep and was wondering if they tint from the inside or the outside ?

Obviously I am a newb :p

#690 ·
The tint film is applied to the inside of the windows. No one can tell you how likely it is to get pulled over for it, some people get pulled over immediately and frequently and others don't draw any attention from the police so its really hit and miss.

#697 ·
It really depends on how much the law is going to enforce tint laws since we have them here in Colorado and I've been pulled over for speeding more times than I'll say here and I always roll down both driver's side windows before the officer approaches and never even had a mention of my tint. On my 4Runner I have 15% on the rears and 20% on the fronts and on the Focus it's 20% all around and 15% on the rear window.

#709 ·
I'd like to do the windshield but around here it's likely you'll be replacing your windshield every couple of years (winter and sand on the roads really pits a windscreen around here) but so far the Focus has seen very minimal snow driving.

#714 ·
Finally getting to the stage where i'm thinking about doing tints on my focus. NJ law is Nothing on the Windshield or the front windows but I can do any percentage on the back windows and rear window. Originally I thought I would do 5% on the back windows, the rear window and the sunroof but I feel like that might be too dark. I also was thinking about doing something on the front even though it's illegal. Maybe 50% since that seems to be OK from most people.

Would 5% be too dark? Even though I can do it should I go for something like 20%?

#715 ·
IMO 5% is excessive and I like to be able to see out my windows at night and I have 20% all around and it works for me. I do recommend doing 15% on the sunroof since that will allow you to have the shade pulled back for light but really cuts the heat to near zero.

#721 ·
I might with the Focus but around here windhsields have kinda of a short lifespan depnding on how much winter driving you do so tinting it every year or so wouldn't be worth the cost but so far the Focus has seen very little snow so I might do it in spring.

#722 ·
I might with the Focus but around here windhsields have kinda of a short lifespan depnding on how much winter driving you do so tinting it every year or so wouldn't be worth the cost but so far the Focus has seen very little snow so I might do it in spring.
There are also products on the market that, help reduce damage to the glass from road debris.

#727 ·
I am going to be getting my TB hatch tinted soon, and can't decide if I want to go 35 all around or 35 on the front and 20 everywhere else... thoughts? Also, the shop that will be doing the tinting had the Llumar ATC (Premium died) and ATR (High Performance Metallized). What would you guys recommend? This is the first car I will be tinting.

Thanks [cheers]

#728 ·
The metallized is probably better film if the price difference isn't too great.

Tint is somewhat personal preference and somewhat local laws.

Having had various tints:

20 all around would probably be my choice if the law permitted it.

35/20 is a good practical tint - good front visibility outward and good rear concealment. You have to decide if it bothers you if the rear windows are darker than the front.

35 sides and 20 rear would be less noticable that the tints don't match.

35 all around is all my state allows and therefore what I would go with - however - you will be able to see inside the car clearly (especially on overcast days or at twilight).

#729 ·
I think I will end up going the ATR route. It is actually available in 30VLT and 20VLT, not 35, so I am leaning towards that. There is no set number for VLT in Ontario, it is at the officers discretion, so I don't think the extra 5VLT (according to the spec sheet, it is actually 33VLT) will make or break it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.