Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to install an Air Bag Delete in 30 minutes

48K views 86 replies 38 participants last post by  focspi 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, this may not be the best way to do this install, but trust me, it is definitely the easiest. After fooling around with this for over 2 hours trying to do it the "right way", I finally figured out how to get the job done fairly quickly.

Tools Needed:

Flat Head Screwdriver
10mm Wrench (preferably a ratcheting wrench)
7mm Socket Wrench with extension
Needle Nose Pliers
12 Pack of Heineken
(I was drinking while doing this install, so if my socket sizes are a little off, forgive me. [drinking] )

Step 1.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! I don't know about you, but I enjoy having teeth, so this is a very important step. Just disconnect the negative cable.

Step 2.

Unclip the front (the side facing you) of the original air bag cover from the dashboard. This is a little tricky, but a flat head screw driver works very well. Don't worry about bending the air bag cover, it is made of vinyl laid over sheet metal and bends back to shape very easily. (Mine was completely bent out of shape, and now it looks new again.) What you do is slide the screwdriver between the dash and the cover, starting on the right side corner, until you find the fixed plastic clips. Then simply pry the cover up until the clip pops out. (If you have to pry very hard, you may want to use a piece of scrap wood to protect the dash.) There are 7 clips you have to pop out, five on the front, and two on the left hand side of the cover. Once you do this, the front of the cover should be free of the dash, though the back (windshield side) is still attached.

This shows you where the clips are

Step 3.

Bend the Air Bag Cover back so you can see the 3 bolts that attach the cover to the air bag assembly. These bolts point down from the cover and are held in place by 3 nuts, 10mm I believe. You may have to push the rolled up air bag down to see all of the bolts.

This is where the bolts are

This shows how it will look once you move the rolled up bag down a little bit

Step 4.

Use a 10mm wrench to remove the nuts from the bolts holding the cover in place. (I would recommend using a ratchetting wrench to save time.) This is the hardest part of the whole project, but I promise it is possible. The way I did it was simply push the rolled up air bag down until I could slip the wrench around the nut to loosen it. After the nut is loosened a little, it spins freely, so just use the end of the wrench to spin it off the bolt. Once you remove all three nuts, the cover should lift off.

Bolt locataion for step 4 and 5, notice holes on both sides for step 5

Step 5.

Once you remove the cover, you will see four bolts holding the air bag in place. Remove these bolts with a 7mm (I think) socket. *Don't remove the smaller bolts in the middle, only the bolts on the four corners of the air bag.

Step 6.

After removing the four bolts, you can lift the air bag assembly up to remove the wires on each side. The wires simply unplug, but you may need to use needle nose pliers. Once it is unplugged, you can take the air bag out easily.

Step 7.

Snap in your shiny new air bag delete and enjoy.

*This install may not be the most fun, but I promise it is better than the alternative method which involves taking out your glove box, removing 2 AC vent tubes, being upside down in you passenger seat, and then finding out that you can't reach the damn bolts anyway. But if you enjoy cussing a lot, have fun trying it the "right way". [ffrocks]

See less See more
#8 ·
lol, as I said, this is NOT the way the directions I have said to do this install, it is an easier ALTERNATIVE, and as far as my airbag cover goes, it looks brand new, all I was trying to do is help someone out before they get under their dash and figure out this a serious PITA, if you want, I'll send you the pdf I have on the "right way" to do this install, you can have fun with that, I'd love to watch [popcorn]

#3 ·
I'm pretty sure that if you got in an accident with some being in the passenger seat you'd get man slaughter for sure...

Why would you not want airbags? I don't see any positive things coming from it, only a lose/lose situation.

#5 ·
umm unless they changed the rules I don't think airbags are required

LOL and after all the accident reports and complaints about Focus Air bags made to Ford I wouldn't relly expect them to work anyway, just hope LOL

Good write up dude!!

#6 ·
i have friends with fast-as hell crx's and 89-91 civic hatches.. none of them have airbags. not that i'm saying it's safe (or less safe, for that matter),but i don't think that "manslaughter" thing makes any sense to me

#12 ·
FYI, in this state at least, you can remove your airbag if you want. You can drive without it. IF you sell the car it needs to go back in. Thats the deal in Md.

There are several good reasons to remove air bags.

1.) I know this is funny, but remember to take them OUT before a demolition derby. We almost ran with them in one night . The airrbag cars are starting to get used.

2.) One of my employees had his passenger airbag disabled in his Miata, he often carries his little girl to school in it ( he even had her there in a car seat ), and there is no back seat to put her in.

3.) Can you guys recognize that a cage and harness is BETTER than an airbag? enough said on that one.

4.) Replacing the drivers steering wheel for comfort and driving ability. Ie the airbag is gone in my miata. I am 6'3" and cannot drive the car with the stock steering wheel in place. So I have a 12" racing wheel in there. I use the seat belts all the time, and will reinstall the wheel if I ever sell the car.

You see, it is still AMERICA last time I checked, you are free to do what you like. At least for now.

#24 ·
1.) I know this is funny, but remember to take them OUT before a demolition derby. We almost ran with them in one night . The airrbag cars are starting to get used.

LOL!! I would have loved to see some ass in a crash derby with the air bags still in LOL[:p]

and hey I would take a 4 point seat belt over air bags anyday, a hold down restraint is waaay better than a soft impact (BS on the soft) restraint anyday

#13 ·
you cant have MansLaughter without Laughter!

screw the airbag, they wil kill your tint in a hurry. and ive seen some of the damages they can do to your face. they make the inside all dusty, and they scare the hell out of you when they go off. if it werent for the stupid E-Class Benz, they wouldnt be a standard item in todays cars. damn mercedez!

#16 · (Edited)
I think if your airbag were to go off the last thing you should be worried about would be ruined tint or dust inside a car.

Let me tell you from experience. The "bang" they make pales in comparison to the noise your car makes as someone is plowing into it at 45 mph.

I think a few scratches and maybe even a broken nose is better than pulling chunks of glass out of your forehead or scraping bits of skin/blood off the pass side dashboard.

I think for medical reasons or for the safety of children the airbags should be left as is.

#18 ·
ABS isnt all that safe, when considering accidents with ABS and without, the statistics show that drivers using ABS are more likely to skid out in one direction without any chance of recovery. What happens is that the ABS is trying to slow the fastest spinning wheel causing the vehicle to move in that direction uncontrolabley.

Watched it happen in down town just the other day. A lady was rubber necking in her SUV when the car in front of her stopped. You could see her slam on her brakes and hear her ABS begin working. Her SUV began jerking to one wheel and she almost ended up in my lane.

As far as airbags, I would love to disable my passenger airbag so my kid can ride up there. Children and airbags doesn't always mean safe.

#15 ·
I don't have ABS on anything I own. I know how to use my own brakes. Thank you. It might be the 12 years of roadracing experience. I don't need to rely on a crutch to help me stop. And yes, before you bring it up. I can outbrake ABS equipped cars and motorcycles. So lets not have that silly arguement. This has been proven time and time again. Abs is great if you want it, II don't.

Seat belts are a VERY good thing, I wish they were better, but you have to keep them easy to use or people will not put them on... Mirrors, they are good too, but if your car is fast enough...you don't need them because everything that is behind you doesn't matter. LOL

#19 ·
It all depends on the car and the application. What I dislike is the blanket treatment. Everything gets all this crap and you have no choice. If you want 10 airbags in your volvo, thats great. Get them and pay for the option, but if I don't want them, or only want fronts, WHY do I have to get the other 8? Options, thats all I'm asking for. And an airbag in my miata? No thanks. In my focus? Good idea.

#21 ·
I should add that this thread wasn't started to debate the safety of an airbag delete, only to show how to install one if you so choose, I promise I'm not the first person to install an airbag delete, and I certainly didn't invent them, I had fairly innocent intentions when i wrote this thread

#25 ·
i want the delete kit because it looks cool.
i am a crininal justice major and we did the studies of seat belts and air bags and they both do more damnage than they do good. but i still wear my seat belt and every one in my car wheres on but air bags don't help you any unless you are with out a seat belt. i am not going to go through the window because Uh duhh i wear my seat belt and i am not going any where. Plus i look where i am going the only crash i was in was the dumb lady's fault and there was no was i could have stoped her. she was right next to me and just came right over becasue she needed to swithc lanes with no turn signal

#31 ·
I don't understand how this site doesn't allow posting of illegal speeds but allows a how-to on the removal of standard safety equipment.

What amazes me more is that this is for the removal of the PASSENGER airbag, so he is putting the life of the PASSENGER in the hands of the safety restraints he has. Bet he still has the driver's airbag.

#32 ·
What amazes me more is that this is for the removal of the PASSENGER airbag, so he is putting the life of the PASSENGER in the hands of the safety restraints he has. Bet he still has the driver's airbag.
My uncle's Ford Ranger has a switch from the factory for cutting off the passenger side airbag[thumb] [bootyshak [goofydrunk]

#36 ·
Dan-O, if you have the time and know-how to do this install by the book, then by all means, do it that way, I made it quite clear that this was not the book method, but, I work 12-16 hours a day and don't have a lot of time to spend on my car, so this method worked better for me, and I thought someone else might want to know about it

and, as far as the "constructive little childish 19 year old comments", I'm a 27 yr old business owner, not a child, but, I'm sorry if I've offended you, and welcome to Focus Fanatics, trust me, it's a great place, but you can't write comments like yours and not expect some sort of retort

#38 ·
You know what. I went to the street racing forum and saw this.

If someone crashes, and someone is injured or killed, you could be arrested and charged with Reckless Driving or Manslaughter.

I doubt that forcibly removing an airbag on your passenger, getting in an accident and injuring/killing them DOESN'T get you nailed with manslaughter, criminal negligence, or something else just as bad besides (almost) killing the passenger.

You say you have seat belts or that you're the best driver in the world. You're not, sorry. Seat belts fail, they are mechanical and regardless of anything you've seen, they do fail. Why would you even remove a safety device that is pre-installed on your car is beyond me, and I bet beyond ANY logical person.

I can't see ANY reason to remove an air bag. You want your kid to sit in the car? Put them in the back where they won't go anywhere dangerous. You want a tray? Use your door tray or the pocket behind the seat. Just feel like doing it to save a couple of pounds? Don't come crying when you hurt someone or yourself.

#39 ·
You say you have seat belts or that you're the best driver in the world. You're not, sorry. Seat belts fail, they are mechanical and regardless of anything you've seen, they do fail. Why would you even remove a safety device that is pre-installed on your car is beyond me, and I bet beyond ANY logical person.

I can't see ANY reason to remove an air bag. You want your kid to sit in the car? Put them in the back where they won't go anywhere dangerous. You want a tray? Use your door tray or the pocket behind the seat. Just feel like doing it to save a couple of pounds? Don't come crying when you hurt someone or yourself.
1.)I NEVER said I was the best driver in the world. I am better than most, but I'm worried about the nut next to me who is doing her make-up in the rearview while chatting on the cell phone. I know she can take me out.

2.) seat belts fail. Yes they do, and so do air bags.. Your point?

3.) Logical? Well, I consider myself a VERY logical person. It annoys my wife that I apply logic to EVERYTHING in life, but you wouldn't know that.

4.) Any reason ?? None AT all? How about, as stated earlier, driving in a demolition derby?

5.) Kid in the back? I DRIVE A MIATA !!!! Are you suggesting I put my child in the trunk? Or perhaps strap him to the rear bumper? Talk about manslaughter charges !!!

6.) Me personally. I can't see removing an airbag just to make a tray, or save weight ( except on the racetrack). But, as I said before, this is America, and it is HIS car. He can't sell it that way, but he sure can drive it that way.

7.) My miata now has a 12 inch steering wheel with no airbag. Is it trendy? NO WAY. I am 6'3" and 250 lbs. with ALOT of torso. The only way for me to drive a miata safely is to remove the seat rails. Thus lowering the seat 1.5 inches. The seat is now static. And to put on this smaller wheel. The stock steering wheel is right against my diaphram and the air bag would rip my head off. If I was 5'10". The airbag, and stock wheel would still be in the car. Sorry, I'm a big guy that likes little cars.

So, I ask you. Still see NO reason why someone would remove an airbag?

P.S. Read the note on your visor in your airbag equipped car. It has the world DEATH in bold type. Now read it again.

#40 ·
I never meant anything directed at you. I'm just saying that you hear "I'm an awesome driver" way too many times.

I know air bags fail, but if you have two or more safety systems protecting you, rather than just relying on one, there's less chance of a total failure.

I don't know how many people are driving their focus in a demo derby :(

Again, focus. I don't think a miata is a great car to have kids in anyway.. it's a large go-kart.

#41 ·
Hey, I went to a street racing forum once, and they spouted a lot off about laws and procedures. I could have believed the famous line "if you're going so fast, the cops won't chase you in fear of endangering others", sorry, but that only works in Need For Speed and Tokyo Drift.

Your best reliable source is to ask a cop or go to your local courthouse, they are OBLIGATED by their position in society to tell you the legality of what you can or can't do to a car. Throwing around charges like Manslaughter to no airbags is a bit over the top for something you read online.

My point isn't to make anyone feel dumb(God knows we have enough BS in our lives as it is), just not to leap before you look. We all came to this site for a common reason, and we may disagree at times on certain things that may or may not be legal, I hate to be so cliche, but shouldn't we just agree to disagree sometimes?

#43 ·
why do ppl care so much about what someone else does anyway? If someone wants to take it out who cares... it's their car.

#62 ·
cause that is normal... why u care about 9/11? it was not u... this is why USA goes down to hell. If it does not affect me [:)][:)][:)][:)] it... but if you are the other person, lets say the passenger and did not know what then? I think is childish and stupid of removing an important safety feature. I might go as far to say is ricer move, since 7-8lb lose of weight. I am sorry but there was somewhere an article about a sentra being almost frame and engine and only saved 3 seconds of the 0-60.

btw.... i do think airbags are required since otherwise car manufactures would not put it in to save money... and is part of the standard equipment

#45 ·
Respectably, but putting the key in the ignition is unsafe too, you don't have to be on the road to be in a car accident and it be fatal. Unfortunately we live in a reality where eggs can kill you.

Some risks are ok, some aren't, you don't see me eating eggs, but I don't protest them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.