Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Wheel painting adventure!

4K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  Geturownfocus 
#1 ·
So today my friend and I had some fun with my Rota Subzeroes. They were looking pretty bad so we said, "hey, why not paint em?" We headed to our local kragen where we found wheel paint for 5 dollars. We also picked up some 600 grit sandpaper for 2 bucks. In total this project cost 7 dollars and about six and a half hours, but my wheels look a hell of a lot better then they did before and I love em!

here's a before and after shot, before on top, after on bottom.

Here's what the car looked like before.

And here's what it looks like now.

Here's a close up shot of the wheel done and on the car.

See less See more
#6 ·
you know, im going do it. ive talked and talked, and thats all i have ever done, im going do it. ladies and gentlemen, im going get some new wheels, as soon as i have enough money after the intake, tb, header, catback, and suspension upgrade.

sorry got inspired, the paint job rocks bro!

lates

#18 ·
Pretty sweet work, SNSDan.

Question: If one wanted to *pitch* black out some aftermarket wheels completely (no chrome or brushed ring between the tire and the spokes), would it be advisable to use wheel paint or simply take it to a powder-coater?

#21 ·
hotfocus said:
Oh wow...that is awesome work man, what paint did you use and how are they holding up?
Thanks! The paint we used was Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating. I got it at Kragen for 5 bucks. The paint has only been on a day, but it still looks great. I'll post more about how it holds up within the next month or two.

#25 ·
I didn't use any clear coat because the paint I got is kind of a two in one deal with the paint and coat. I'll see how it holds up and if it starts getting all effed up then I'll do em again some other time with coat on top, but for now it shines nicely and looks pretty good so I'm happy.

#26 ·
spikNspan DAN said:
I didn't use any clear coat because the paint I got is kind of a two in one deal with the paint and coat. I'll see how it holds up and if it starts getting all effed up then I'll do em again some other time with coat on top, but for now it shines nicely and looks pretty good so I'm happy.
If it is the Graphite wheel spray paint, I can tell you it is really good at holding up. I painted my brake calipers that color and it has held up extremely well. I used it on my Ranger's brakes before my SVTF and they looked the same after two years, just took a little scrubbing every now and then but never a respray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.