Focus Fanatics Forum banner

AC oil Spray

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  whynotthinkwhynot 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Focus Se and recently I have noticed some oil spray under the hood. It appears to be coming from the AC compressor, not sure though. Do I have a seal going bad or is it something bigger and badder?

#3 ·
Green oil?

You need a new compressor, and a recharge. If you have to replace the compressor, do not do this without replacing the orifice tube, and IMO you should replace all the O-rings in the system which will take a novice about 2 more hours.

The orifice tube is the filter for the AC system, and it can only be replaced when the system is discharged.

#4 ·
I wouldn't call the oil under the hood green. Is there anything else that would spray oil on the hood? It is a real fine spray. The car only has 39000 miles on it and is taken care of extremely well.

#5 ·
It doesn't have to be green, but most of the time dye is added to the oil, and it's usually green. If it is the AC system, then you won't have an AC charge for very much longer, so the AC should stop working.

If the oil is coming from the engine, then you should start to see that oil level dropping, so monitor it if you can't figure out where the oil is coming from.

#6 ·
I check the oil about once or twice a week and it doesn't seem to be dropping. I wiped the hood off today so I will see what happens with it, and see if it leaks when I am driving.

What is an AC charge?
Will keep posted till I figure out what the problem is. Thanks

#9 ·
The question is impossible to answer as you don't even know where the leak is, that will complicate everything. At this point in time your bill is an hourly rate until some intangibles become known.

#10 ·
New compressor
New refrigerant/oil charge
New orifice tube

I'd say about $1k at a shop. If you did it yourself, then it would be about half that. You might be able to get it done cheaper. Make sure that they change the orifice tube though. It's like a filter for the system, and should be changed any time the system is discharged.

#11 ·
Could've popped a line, or condenser, running a/c more tore up fragments to get in system and cleanout involved. The dryer is DEAD now. The potential list gets longer.............or it could get shorter, compressor may be fine, only line mounting seal blew. The reason for the intangibles, someone must sort out what's good/bad there.

#12 ·
So I guess it has been a little over a month now. Seems to be just a one time thing. i still check it once a week or so to see if anything new popped up. nothing. looks like i'm in the clear. Thanks for all your insight and tips

#13 ·
If it was the AC compressor.
Buy Auto Parts on Ebay sells a kit that comes with a New Compressor, New Orafice tube, New Receiver Dryer, and a bottle of PAG oil for $205. I did the whole thing in like an hour and a half.

Beware though. Ford changed the fitting on the receiver. So you must get the new suction discharge hose or it wont fit. That was a $100 unpleasant surprise.

Peace,
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.