Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to remove radio and surrounding trim pieces

80K views 57 replies 28 participants last post by  LouisWetzel 
#1 ·
This is done on a right hand drive UK Focus. The process should be more or less the same, just take into account that some things may be flipped to the other side.

So below are the pieces that I'll show how to remove, labelled in order.

I started by removing the whole radio unit. This is really easy and takes about 20 seconds. Above the temperature control is a small piece that is easily removed with pliers. Behind this piece are 2 screws. Unscrew them and the whole radio unit can be pulled up and away from the car. Disconnect the harness behind the unit.

1.) Vent Trim Panels

These are attached to the radio unit, and can be popped off by simply pulling/prying from the bottom (label with an arrow above) moving upwards. If you come across a stubborn clip, get a flathead screw driver, get it between the radio unit and trim piece and push the clip inwards towards the vent opening.

2.) A/C Control Panel

There are 3 screws (indicated below). To access the side screw you will need to slightly pry the adjacent trim panel away. Once undone the panel can be wiggled out, disconnect the harnesses behind the panel and pull out of the console.

Behind the A/C control panel there are 4 screws (indicated) that will detach the knobs. The 2 sets of buttons below the knobs (also indicated) are removed by squeezing tabs on the backside.

3.) Shifter panel

To remove visit this how to, courtesy of Twenty

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273852

So this is what your radio area would look like with everything removed. Circles indicate the radio screws, squares the A/C control panel screws

4.) Parking break piece

For this I just pryed the with a flathead on the side, near the bottom end. It popped out quite easily. I recommend not using too much force here, as it is not needed.

5.) Door trim

You must start prying at the front end (indicated by an arrow). Just because of how it sits in the door. The rear end is inserted into the door at an angle which prevents it from being pryed.

Enjoy! Feel free to ask questions.

See less See more
#2 ·
Certainly looks easier than expected, thank you! I'll add one to your rep for this.

#12 ·
Question, does the automatic shifter bezel pop out the same as the manual? I tried earlier to get mine to pop, and it wouldnt budge (tho i did manage to get the gear indicator out, oddly enough)...

#17 ·
Only one more question I could not figure out how to take the piece out from center to the glove. I unbolted the screw from the center consoe but had trouble taking it out from the passenger side. Champaign piece. so i did not do it.

#23 ·
My sel has interior silver door handles and the parking brake. The interior door pull handle, Ac control, shifter bezel, air vents, and the trim is champagne. Stupid stupid combo especially if black interior. The side pillars by windshield are white which shoulbe be black and for 50 bucks thinking about changing those The TI I think has one color.

#31 ·
Actually, as long as it wasnt mauve and was actually PURPLE, id be down with it...

Sent from SGH-I747M Via Tapatalk 2, Care of CSIS ;-)

#32 ·
This is done on a right hand drive UK Focus. The process should be more or less the same, just take into account that some things may be flipped to the other side.

3.) Shifter panel

To remove visit this how to, courtesy of Twenty

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273852

So this is what your radio area would look like with everything removed. Circles indicate the radio screws, squares the A/C control panel screws

do you know how to get them white torx moldings on your picture?
when i was unscrewing the fornt panel and lifted it off one of the white plastic torx screw moldings fell into the console and is nowhere to be found, i've tried looking on fordparts.com and cant find it listed as a part

#35 ·
Alright, I thought i might add to this thread, by providing instructions on how to get the automatic shift knob out. Its simple once you figure it out, but until then...

I suggest trying this with the shifter in neutral, and the car off, as you will need all the space you can get. Once you pop up and unclip the bezel from the boot, pull the boot frame up as much as you can. There are two screws underneath the boot, pointing towards the dash. They are both philips head, but to get at them, you need either a really stubby screwdriver, or like i did, a ratchet and a bit adapter. Once you get the screws out, make sure to disconnect the hill start switch, it should simply just unclip from the connector. Once you've done that, the knob slides straight up off the shaft.

Sent from SGH-I747M Via Tapatalk 2, Care of CSIS ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.