Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Engine runs like crap and battery lights on

6K views 28 replies 5 participants last post by  swagfocuswagon 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

Well my 2000 SE wagon has been having this idling problem and the power is..well not there unless I floor it. When I start it up it will run so ruff it will some times stall out or will barely run for a few seconds then it will pick back up. If you give it a little throttle to keep it from dying it will pick up but as soon as you let off it will still run bad for a few seconds then will run kinda ruff but not to bad. Also, the exhaust note is I feel not right (makes a tutututututututut sound if that makes any sense I'm sure it doesn't but I tried lol) and the battery light comes on after a few seconds despite having an alternator that tested out good and cleaning as many body grounds I can find with out completely tearing the whole vehicle apart. The only one I have not checked is the one that looks like its going to the starter. Also if you turn any accessories on (like head lights or blower motor) the engine speed drops.

Any imput is appreciated!

Thanks
Patrick![:)][headbang][wrenchin]

#2 ·
My 03 sedan was doing similar things to this, not quite as severe but as I would drive mine, I would randomly have all my dash lights come on and I would lose all power to my car immediately until I stopped the car. I changed my battery, re grounded the battery with a 1/0 gauge wire to the chassis and ran a new 1/0 gauge wire from the + battery to the alternator and I haven't had a single problem since...I then finished the big 3 upgrade and not a problem in the past 10k+ miles[8D]

#3 ·
I see. Thanks! I replaced the battery terminal cable going from the batt. to the alt. and it worked a little. But yeah this thing is utterly gutless. And I feel its destroying my fuel economy. I floored it yesterday it screamed but did nothing. So how do I get to the wire going to my starter? I suppose Ill have to raise my car on jacks and do it that way?

Thanks,
Patrick! [driving][race][wrenchin]

#5 ·
Thanks! I just ran a thicker cable to the body ground from the battery today it helped a little bit. Im not looking to street the thing, its just a beater Im trying to bounce. And wow thats a lot of goodies to run on that!! And the thicker ground cable didnt help. Im gonna guess the alternators about to take a shit on me. It does need a new air filter but I know this is electrical related for sure. So looks like its time for a air filter and alternator.

#6 ·
Yeah i didnt street mine...Yet [hihi] I just wanted a little better performance and response to it until i get to street it out. Yeah all the audio is on the stock alternator and works like a charm, also helps that i do have a little background in electrical systems and engineering.

This is just to hold me over until i get my custom built engine with all forged internals and my turbo build up and running [woot]

#8 ·
In the original post it said you had the alternator tested but it didnt say anything about having the battery tested. Have you had the battery tested.

A 2000 SE wagon would have had a likely manufacturing date of late 1999 early 2000. Most quality aftermarket batteries have a 10 year warranty. Its 2013
and OEM batteries usually don't have any warranty. Its sounds like you just need a new battery.

Get your battery tested. Big 3 upgrade is good. But it requires a good battery to be useful.

#9 ·
Battery was tested. Its a good battery. Although it may be possible, I doubt even with a bad battery the whole car would run like crap even under no load or anything. Are there any fuses I should look at? I check the fuses in the fuse box in the eng. compartment and all were still good.

Thanks,
Patrick!

#15 ·
Replace that

Yes, this very well could be your problem. Replace your coil pack and possibly wires if need be, and that should fix your problem. [wrenchin]

#17 ·
Yeah, at least its something simple, and not some ECU issue. Hope it all works out and im in the same boat, i have to wait for my brakes to come in, cause i needed new rotors and pads, so i figured id splurge a little and upgrade them while im at it. [woot]

#19 ·
Yep, i have cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads, and doing the rear drum to disc conversion soon. Then either a NA build for fun or boost, havent decided....well more like my $$$ hasnt decided lol [race]

#21 ·
Alternator is a fairly easy swap. (I should know, I have done three of them... lol) hardest part is getting the new belt on once the alternator is back in.

If you don't have a hanes manual, i would recommend it, they have a pretty good write up for the alternator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.