Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Rear disc conversion on wagon?

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  SuperFlea 
#1 ·
O.K. I just found out from my dealer that my rear drums are below spec and the pads are cracked. So rather than pay $400+ for new rear drums, I'd much rather convert them over to discs. I was looking at the M-2300-SVTR Ford Racing kit, but it says it doesn't fit the wagon. Does anyone know why it doesn't fit the wagon? I would think it might have to do with the e-brake cable length, but couldn't I just have a custom length one made? I have despised the drums on this thing since I bought it, so I REALLY want to take this opportunity to get rid of them if I can, but I also don't want to spend $500 on something I can't use. Anyone have any ideas?[?|]

#2 ·
Dont´t listen to any one who says that you can,t do the rear disc conversion on a wagon. I did it on mine and i highly recomend it!

some pics -

This was when i first installed them, used stock rotors and EBC Green Stuff pads. But EBC pads are crap.

So, then i upgraded to TriNet Motorsports Rotors and Hawk Pads -

But, i also upgraded my front brakes as well. Used the SVT set-up as well.

Stock spindle on left, SVT on right -

I have some PDF files on the conversion if you need them. LMK.

And my wagon -

and Good luck! [thumb]

#4 ·
It worked!

Well, I did the swap and it turned out great! I did have a small problem with where the e-brake attaches to the bracket that holds the two wires going to the wheels, but I just cut the one off that came with it and used the old one. The kit didn't come with any instructions, so it took a while to get everything out and make sure we knew where everything was supposed to go. Also came with some bolts I didn't need and was missing some new ones for the calipers, so I just re-used the old ones. I'll get some pictures when I get a chance, but it will be a while.

To anyone with a wagon who wants to know if they can use the rear disc brake conversion kit from Ford, the answer is a big YES! I really recommend it, too.[wrenchin]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.