Focus Fanatics Forum banner

has anyone experienced their ipod "skipping"?

5K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  GoldenHour 
#1 ·
new poster here and i'm loving my week-old SEL hatchback! i have my ipod hooked-up via USB. i notice that once every half hour or so a song will momentarily "skip". it's really fast and i can live with it but i'm hoping there isn't a bigger problem developing.

i've changed the USB cable. the "skipping" or "blipping" never occurs in succession. on a normal day i might hear the sound two or three times.

i'm not sure if the skipping occurs with the radio because i have only been listening to the ipod.

tomorrow i will only listen to the radio and see what happens.

thanx for your help!

#6 ·
thank you for the warm welcome and the replies! the skipping only happens in the focus, never in my tundra. i don't have my ipod set to shake to shuffle. i've tried two different usb cables, one AM and the other OEM (both work fine in my tundra). i have a new apple cable that i'll try.

#8 ·
I get this too..at first it didn't bother me much, now it does. It's odd because it seems unpredictable...
i wonder if the skipping is still an issue if you use an SD card or thumb drive?

i'm actually thinking about buying a low profile thumb drive to use for music instead of the ipod to free up space in my console for stuff. one thing this car does not have is adequate storage space for the driver.

#17 ·
i received my 32gb low-profile thumbdrive yesterday and loaded it up. guess what: it also skips! i'm going to also try USB 2 but....

it appears to me that i may have a firmware issue. my car was assembled in June 2012. have there been any firmware updates?

thank you.

#20 ·
I am still on the free satellite radio trial and that skips when it first starts. It doesn't matter if you switch from a different mode or when turning the car on. After about 5-10 seconds, it repeats the first 5-10 seconds and then acts normally.
BTW, for the nay sayers who think i didn't notice if I was under a bridge or hidden from satellites by buildings or weather conditions: I've tested this in the very open parking lot at Walt Disney World's Ticket and Transportation Center (Specifically, Zurg's lot in the villain's section, a.k.a Magic Kingdom's parking lot)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Mine (1st-Gen iPod Touch) always does this. I've had no issues with the cable on any other device so I don't think it's an iPod hardware problem.

There's also a strange interaction that nobody at Ford can figure out (tho it's resulted in one new APIM to date...) which is that listening to my iPod causes random SD Card Faults, which kills my Nav as well as USB audio. I can't usually get the USB audio back until a complete MFT (performing maintenance screen) reboot but the Nav returns in about 15 seconds. This has occurred under v2.11, v3.0.2, and now under v3.2.2 of MFT.

I still wonder if there's a hardware problem with the "media center" in my center console...

#25 ·
i tried a master reset today but the skipping persists. my focus is one of the late builds and i think sync has the latest updates.

i guess i'll go to the dealership to see if anything can be done. maybe i can get someone to ride around with me for 20-30 minutes to actually hear the skipping because there's no way i'm leaving my car there 2-3 days while they dick around with it.

in the end i'll bet i'll just have to live with it skipping.

#26 ·
My iPod started skipping after I plugged my friends phone into the USB port for charging. I wonder if that's coincidence or the cause. When it does skip, it skips on every track. The fix I found is to rewind the song to before the skip and let it play. That seemed to stop it from happening again.

#27 ·
I don't use an iPod but have a 32GB thumb-drive instead. I have noticed that I get an occasional skip or pause while playing music via the USB thumb-drive. I'm not talking the pause between tracks but in the middle of the track.

I'm guessing that the uP is busy doing something else and resumes playing when complete with whatever it was doing. If so, that would suggest the uP is pretty lame power/speed wise...

Brian

#28 ·
I'm on a road trip now and I have concluded that the master reset I did recently has corrected the skipping problem. We'll...almost.

Like someone else mentioned earlier I get one skip a couple of minutes after starting my focus and that's it. I thought the master reset did not work because I heard the initial skip. I was starting to think that I didn't hear the follow-up skips and today I am sure after driving more than six hours.

Just to clarify I get skipping from both USBs and SD slot. Thumb drives, iPod, SD card ... They all skip. But now I only get the initial skip and I am cool with that. Hope it stays that way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.