Fumes making me sick when Heater fan on - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Edgenet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106043
What I Drive: 2002 Wagon with Zetec, Auto

FF Reputation: 1 Edgenet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
TKG26 means carbon MONOXIDE of course.

You should get headache first from CO, ignoring it is the mistake. BTDT.............fix your valve cover gasket-you cannot retighten them to seal better since the seal is achieved from a 'hit solid and done' thing instead of a 'gets tighter as you tighten it up' thing. The gasket will be cooked hard and they do not reshape then to seal better when you tighten more anyway. In short retightening may have bought you a week and certainly brought you closer to broken off bolts, which is what retightening generally does. You need a new valve cover gasket. The bottom of windshield seal you worked on was never intended to be positively gastight either and will go back to leaking as well. The base of windshield is a low pressure area, most air comes from outside but the draft there easily pulls any fumes that seep up from back of hood.
Points will taken. So far so good. I will keep an eye on eye on the valve cover for any leaks. If it leaks I will replace. Thanks for your input. Later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
TKG26
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117681
What I Drive: 2013/Grey/Ti-Focus

FF Reputation: 1 TKG26 Good Standing Member
LoL my bad sorry... I work for a gas utility ... I correct people all the time about CO being carbon monoxide not carbon dioxide!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using FF Mobile
Old 11-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Don't feel bad, mine just started doing same thing today, got out after smelling it and looked and sure enough leaking to drip on manifold. Hoping to delay it enough to make it to timing belt time.

Worked as a printer once where they also bound finished books using hot melt plastic glue for perfect binding. Someone left it on one night while pressroom on other side of plant working late and 2-3 guys started complaining of the headaches, odd at first until one dropped in a faint. Then the other started throwing up. Not funny anymore. More complaining by then, I started looking around plant and found the glue pot burning the plastic to a crisp right under a central air intake to put it all over plant. Ended up calling Fire Dept. and the CO readings were off the chart. The one guy had to go to hospital for a day. Could'a been a bad day there.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 116356
What I Drive: 1908, Black, Model T

FF Reputation: 1 FordServiceCA Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgenet View Post
Fumes making me sick when Heater fan on.

Ever since I bought this car I seem to be fixing stuff on a daily bases. Ok back to this serious problem when I bought the car a month ago the fumes were unbelievable when I turned the heater fan on, looked under the hood and smoke was rising from the front of the engine. The valve cover gasket was leaking oil and burning off by the catalytic converter. I tighten all the valve cover bolts and cleaned the engine and catalytic and the smoking stopped.

The problem I am having now is that the smell of the engine is coming in the interior when the heater is on. I checked the gaskets at the rear of the hood and they seem to be ok. The cover over the air intake seems to be ok it appears that no one removed it to install an interior filter. ( I trried removing the cover on another 02 Focus and it was a horror of a jop and I ended-up with water leaks so I am not touching this cover.)

So then where are the fumes coming in from. I thought the air is pulled in from the base of the windshield and the air air should be outside air.
Hi Edgenet,

This concerns me; please make an appointment at your local dealership at your earliest convenience to get this checked out. Let me know what the dealer says; I hope it gets resolved soon!

Bianca

p: 800.565.FORD
t: @FordServiceCA @FordFocus @FordCanada
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/FordCanada

Bookmarks & Social Networks