Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Drunkyoda's budget turbo build!

17K views 94 replies 16 participants last post by  drunkyoda 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been contemplating this for too long. i think its time. im going to put a list here add anything you want. and if you have anything for sale for cheap lmk.

ok so im trying to piece together a full kit for around 1000 not including tuning.[:p]

we shall see if it can be done.

LIST:
Turbo- already got for $40... very minimal shaft play. only axial. means no up and down shaft play. i think i got an awesome deal here. trying to figure out what the flange is though. It is an old Garret(airresearch) turbo off of an izuzu turbo bus. haha

Intercooler-

42lb Injectors-

oil lines and fittings-

Water lines and fittings-

Wastegate-

Blow off valve-

Piping-

manifold & downpipe- 200 from a member

downpipe- see above

Tapped oil pan-

boost gauge- free with turbo

a/f gauge- free for christmas

I already looked at my other options and this is what i want to do so please dont clutter the thread saying you should go with this kit or that kit...

any other help i am welcomed to having. hope to update you guys some more.

See less See more
#57 ·
Some of us aren't looking for a racecar. Personally I just want my little daily driver to be more fun than it already is. 5-8psi max un-intercooled. If I wanted to throw a $4000 turbo kit into my $5000 car, I would have just bought something faster to begin with.

#59 ·
Lol u miss understood my point. These cars are fun and when ppl throw together a budget turbo capable of say maybe 200whp. It gets addicting and they want more. Hence why most the time ppl go with more expensive routes and run low numbers till they get bored with it

#61 ·
Yea shane your kit is OK. Not a route I would've gone but hey if it works why not? I've allways had the experience with " You get what you paid for " for your sake shane I hope this kit doesn't eff you in the long haul

#74 ·
ok guys here is my list... will anyone tell me what i am missing?

Turbo Manifold -
Turbo -
Intercooler + Piping -
Tapped oil pan -
Downpipe -
BOV -
Wastegate -
Injectors -
Tuner -
Tune -
Oil lines -
Wideband -
MAFia -

#80 ·
so with more research it seems to me that a boost controller is just used to up the boost without having to change springs in the wastegate. it also keeps your system from surging.

#81 ·
yes what u pictures is a mbc with jus turning a knob up top then monitoring ur gage to see what psi ur in. ebc are easier but are more expensive. as italo said wg only controls form the manifold and will spike, meaning if u have an 8 psi spring it will hit bout 10 to 11psi. wich can cause problems shane.

#82 ·
yes. than i will be getting a manual boost controller... the stock spring in the SPA wastegate should probably be about 8lbs...

so my question than would be with a MBC would i need to upgrade the spring in my wastegate to run 12lbs or would i be fine with the 8lb spring?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.