Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Michigan people

12M views 125K replies 538 participants last post by  Chas 
#1 ·
lookin for those who live in the Michigan area

#74,741 ·
Haha I've heard it sucks. For sure clutch with you this spring. What clutch did you get? I'm either getting the LUK kit or debating a stage one aluminum flywheel kit.

Anyone else out there have experience in timing belt swaps?
several on the regular zetec, but never the SVT and I have no interest in learning the VCT side of the svt-zetec sorry.

also going from a dual mass to a single mass lightweight flywheel will make a world of difference! [thumb]

Aku's car was a treat to drive with whatever clutch/fly it had.

Edit:
spec stage 2? thats what I had in the powerworks focus as well and never had any issues with slippage. did you break it in proper? I assume yes since you rev-match most of the time like I do but I dont recall you mentioning break in?

FWIW I liked the spec stage 2 and lwf in my car......the jetta has a clutchmaster stage 4 and I wouldn't recommend it to most people for a DD but I love it.

#74,745 ·
Scott,

When I made 40k, I was approved for 150k. But I had been making 35-40k for a few years. They wont care about the gf money unless she will be cosigning on the house, which is not a good idea. With making around 40k, I suggest sticking to 100k or less and you will be fine.

I do have well water, with 2 filters and a softener with a filter, it still smells a lil, but not bad

ok thank you chaney.

#74,746 ·
from a power standpoint I dont think it makes any difference at all truthfully......at least none thats noticeable.

for me it was about the driving feel, I find it easier to take off, shift (especially downshift) etc.

if you dont plan on keeping the car longterm I would say definitely not worth the extra cash.

sidenote: on CFM the spec clutch with lightweight flywheel is only $300 more than the LUK setup not $500 if that makes any difference

#74,747 ·
Light weight flywheels will free up a little bit of wheel power due to less drive train loss, thats about it really. the revs feel freeier and lighter and I was a fan of it but i doubt it made that much of a difference lol prolly all in my head

also klod

http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206233
hmmm wonder why he switched to a AWM head when its an AEB car?......its tempting but goddamn all these noobs stripping motors are starting to piss me off.

da[:)][:)][:)]kkk kind of torque are you using to strip the block for petes sake?!?! torque spec on those things is 120ft/lbs plus a half turn which the 120 is hard enough for me to hit on my torque wrench but that half turn after that takes me pulling while my brother pushes.

also it kind of sounds like he's an idiot and if he didnt remove/install the head bolts in the correct order shit could be warped....to much work/hassle IMO

although it is tempting because thats cheap enough that if you sold your car for what you think you can get out of it+ aftermarket goodies you'd have enough cash laying around for racelands/built motor/big turbo awd sleeper car.
plus if your building the engine his jackass self messing it up wouldnt matter because they'd take care of it for you.

#74,749 ·
several on the regular zetec, but never the SVT and I have no interest in learning the VCT side of the svt-zetec sorry.

also going from a dual mass to a single mass lightweight flywheel will make a world of difference! [thumb]

Aku's car was a treat to drive with whatever clutch/fly it had.

Edit:
spec stage 2? thats what I had in the powerworks focus as well and never had any issues with slippage. did you break it in proper? I assume yes since you rev-match most of the time like I do but I dont recall you mentioning break in?

FWIW I liked the spec stage 2 and lwf in my car......the jetta has a clutchmaster stage 4 and I wouldn't recommend it to most people for a DD but I love it.

skipped this post somehow.

Yes I did proper break in of 500 miles... and still slipped for another 500 miles until one day (the night before a waterford event too which was awesome) it just decided to start gripping hard and it was s uper mc awesome everyday after that. Just not sure why it took so long to break in properly and why it was literally like and on off switch

#74,750 ·
The one thing you have to factor in Scott is homeowners insurance cost, taxes, heating cost, and all that.

An 85000 mortgage will cost you around 500 to 600 a month
Then taxes depend on area.
Homeowners around 400 +
Heating around 900 is mine.
Electricity around 800
Then there's food and water

So plan on at least 1200 for bills at least

#74,751 ·
The one thing you have to factor in Scott is homeowners insurance cost, taxes, heating cost, and all that.

Homeowners around 400 +
Electricity around 800

thanks ed. i did think about some of that stuff. i know about hidden fee's/taxes on foreclosures too. is 85k morgage with 500-600 a month 25yrs or 30 years morgage?

#74,752 ·

Homeowners around 400 +
Electricity around 800

I think my friend Ben is doing the smartest thing with a house that I've heard,

single guy buys a 4 bedroom $120k house in a pretty nice area (kentwood)

master bedroom is his, rents out the remaining 3 rooms for $300 each they then split all utilities between the 4 of them.

he has a great job and can easily afford the house by himself but as long as he has renters there they are essentially making his mortage payment and he's getting a 75% discount on utilities. so he winds up making double payments nearly every month except for the couple months he's done a house upgrade or re-does part of the house that month.

they're all friends and it works out great, you can't touch renting an apartment in kentwood for that price so the renters are happy and he's obviously happy

#74,756 ·
Roommates don't really bother me much.. then again i've just been renting places.. I'm sure if it was my house and people were living there I'd end up thinking different.. I'd want things done how i'd want it done and people would prolly end up thinking I have ocd or something lol

#74,758 ·
Brad i think ur friend is just lucky. Friends and money usually never ends well :(

That being said im trying to convince my buddy to move bk here and pay rent at a house i own. There will definately be a contract if that happens.
Roommates don't really bother me much.. then again i've just been renting places.. I'm sure if it was my house and people were living there I'd end up thinking different.. I'd want things done how i'd want it done and people would prolly end up thinking I have ocd or something lol
indeed, he's lucky and the situation works out pretty well for all involved. all of the roomies are people he's known for quite some time and they are all pretty responsible with money. Its a unique mix of people for sure. I'm surprised its worked out so well.

1 of 4 of them works early like i do and gets out early.
2 of them work 8-5 type shifts
1 of them works 2nd shift

I think the things that help the situation are 1:
they have written contracts and stick to them mercilessly. late on rent? pay a late fee, 1 exception per year, and only 1 week.
2: the homeowner is pretty chill, he see's it as a starter/1st home and isnt terribly OCD I think last I had talked to him his goal was to have it paid off in 5-8 years at which time he'll look for a bigger/better house for just him/his future wife/gf and then he'll just keep the current house as a rent property.

I'm with Aku, I think I'd want to do it but I'm not sure I could keep myself from going crazy if people didnt treat my house the way I wanted it treated.
for the most part they are out of each others hair during the week.

#74,759 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.