Focus Fanatics Forum banner

They let me run the test+tune!

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  WeeAsp 
#1 ·
The Tarheel Sports Car Club folks are so awesome...

I went down just to volunteer and see how things ran, and maybe get a little passenger time.
I didn't even have to ask for a ride - the Novice driver coordinator came up to me and offered a ride in his car (a Honda S2000), and also worked the course with me to train me for the coursework and give me tips as we watched the cars go.
One of the THSCC club guys came over on a break and said since there weren't too many cars, as long as I got an experienced driver to ride with me I could run [clap]
I won't bore you with all my runs - I had a lot of trouble on one of the courses with ignoring the pointer cone in one section, and a lightbulb went off when Rick said he could call out the direction, but that wouldn't help me learn. Hell - I realized I could call out the cones myself - it worked great!
We got a little rain, but that was actually a good thing as it let me feel what it was like when I really started to slide. My last run on the timed course was a 73.995 - the fast guys in Miatas and S2000's were running 69/70s I think.
I did have a tank-slapper one run - almost saved it but ate 2 cones [:eek:)] I was sawing at the wheel so much I superheated the tires - as I drove off I thought I'd broken something, it felt like I was driving on ball bearings!

So - I've already ordered my Enkei's (but with street tires) and I just ordered my own SA2005 helmet. Thinking about a Schroth harness now too...

I'm hooked!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
No kidding! I just signed up for one of the "Evolution" schools (up in Danville, VA) - tons of runs with an instructor, and they drive your car as well to show how it should be done.

? for you WD - do you pull the ABS/TC fuse when you run, or is this illegal in ST/STS? I haven't confirmed if my TC is fully defeated after Tom's tune - nearly fried my clutch trying a burnout and decided to leave it alone for now.

#3 ·
wow cool, sounds like ya had a good time, i still need to order myself a sa2005 helmet for this years autoX, itll be fun this year, 5 speed dura is gonna whoop more ass then my auto spi

#5 ·
^^^ Pulling the fuse should be legal in GS. Especially as a rookie, nobody is really going to care either. This would really only be something to worry about if you're competing hard for a class championship or are going to a Divisional/ProSolo/National.

Evolution was one of the best things I ever did. Unbelievable value for the money, and completely changed my driving. I would do it again in a half second.

#8 ·
Shoot - sorry about that.
That gives me an idea for a thread - We'll each post our competition calendars and other FF members can stop by for a GTG, help out, etc. Each of us can just edit the 1 post with results and calendar changes.
I'll start one off and we'll see if it gets sticky [:D]

#10 ·
Glad to hear that you got the bug!

WD40 is right, good to know that you realize you have a lot more to learn. So do I for that matter.

One of the best descriptions for AX I've ever heard is "automotive golf".

The way you get better is not by trying to beat the other guy, but to continuously improve your driving. Do that, and they will start wondering how to beat YOU! [paranoid]

I need to do one of the events like they are hosting in Danville. I haven't yet.

Interesting note on the TC. Glad I didn't order it as an option. I've always been skeptical of the automated systems like TC. A buddy of mine has a mustang equipped with TC and it comes on at some of the most infuriating (and sometimes dangerous) situations.

Ever - You started another thread about upcoming events. VIR has a track day sponsored by Benz, BMW, and Audi. It's open to all makes, but you may want to check it out. They run the full 3.27 mile course.

Once again, congrats on your first outing and look forward to hearing how the rest of your season goes!

[clap]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.