Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Finally dynoing the Focus 5/2/12

26K views 188 replies 30 participants last post by  FocusBoy58 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally dynoing the Focus 5/2/12 -Results!-

I got an appointment tomorrow morning. It's at Modern Automotive Performance here in MN.

They use a Dynojet 424x.

I'm also going by myself so I don't know how videos will work but I know numbers and a graph will be achieved.

To be honest I'm just hoping for 150 hp at the wheels through the 6 speed DCT . Achievable?

I'll post results tomorrow asap.

Ok.... numbers. [headbang]

Run1: 164.06 HP 145.18 TQ
Run2: 164.35 HP 147.12 TQ Best Results
Run3: 164.14 HP 145.85 TQ

Still uploading the videos via my 4g cellphone I took them on. Taking a little while. Sorry guys.

Graphs.

1:

2:

3:

Youtube URL's (can't find out how to embed an image that you can click on for youtube links)

Testing the downshifting (yes I was wrong before, it does still downshift automatically even in sport mode with you selecting your own gears with the thumb rockers).

Run 1:

Run 2:

Run 3:

See less See more
4 3
#94 ·
The easiest thing for tuning is the innovated LC-1 wide band. I used that on a few cars. Also AEM is good as a permanent mount options.

#98 ·
I don't think an intake or exhaust void Fords warranty so I'm not worrying about it. Plus if you have had 10 2012's on your dyno that all ran lean then maybe it just runs lean.

I definitely don't know exactly what you mean but I understand the concept.

What should the afr be at during part throttle, wot, or idle?

#102 ·
I don't think an intake or exhaust void Fords warranty so I'm not worrying about it.
It will if it was the cause of the failure, but they would have to prove that, so yeah it should be fine. and tuning will be available eventually and solve the problem.

Normal driving probably wont be a problem, but lean means more heat for the engine.

#99 ·
I'm also going to say that the place didn't go WOT until around 3,700 rpm I think it may show on the graph. They did it this way because the car would downshift out of 4th gear of.you went WOT before that rpm.

But is that partially to blame for it running lean until 4,500 or so? Also, where the afr dips to that dashed line, is that when it is getting more fuel?

#107 ·
For direct monitoring, I have my own "black box" (similar in function to a DashHawk) that I developed a few years ago. It now has most of the 2012 Focus specific (mode 22) PID's.

For data logging, I use a PC with a Drewtech Mongoose (J2534) CAN interface and custom software.

I also have an IDS (which can do datalogging) as a reference.

Here is an example of a datalog (showing operation of the grill shutters) that I previously posted:

FWIW, I will post a WOT datalog tonight.

#110 ·
while i am not as much of an expert as the others, under normal driving conditions, it is doubtful you will damage your engine. Running lean means that the engine runs hotter, which could lead to detonation of the fuel, causing you to blow or melt the engine, but you have to be pushing the engine to where it is running hot enough for that to happen, which would be hard driving conditions and not daily driving.

If the cars are running lean from the factory, we are losing HP because less fuel is being delivered and tuning would help this.

#118 ·
Oh well. Tuning voids your warranty even if nothing goes wrong with the car so ill just deal with it until a tune is available. My afr isn't that bad even at wot.

Off to explore more modifications and with exploring you find other issues. I don't think anything is going to happen anyways.

#122 ·
Just because I am your tuner If I say something you dont agree with I would hope you would speek up , This isnt personal and I dont take anything here that way unless its an attack on me or my buisness

I have had many customers over the years I have wrote letters to Ford about the mods on there cars could not of done the damage the car was in the for , not one time did it do any good and the customer had to foot the bill or tow it out of there

Tom

#126 ·
Just because I am your tuner If I say something you dont agree with I would hope you would speek up , This isnt personal and I dont take anything here that way unless its an attack on me or my buisness

Tom
I like that attitude, once tuning options become available you will have my business.

#129 ·
Yes and no , in closed loop the o2 gives the reading of the AF to the ECU , the ECU takes this info and if the targeted closed loop A/F (14.64) is correct the ECU makes changes to hit that target as close as it can , it goes above 14.64 sees its to lean so adds fuel to below 14.64 then sees it rich and back and forth

Open loop no longer looks at the AF with an o2 sensor and just goes the a Open Loop Base fuel table that tells the ECU what AF it wants , doesnt mean thats what AF you acually see there are a lot of factors that go into the mix that calculates the final AF

To answer your question in Open Loop where AF is needed (only time a wide band AF gauge is needed) no the OBDII port will not show you AF

Tom

#124 ·
In fairness to Ford and the other car makers, when you modify the car to increase performance the odds are high that you will be pushing the car harder than the average customer and the car maker doesn't feel as though they need to stand behind someone else's work.

I can also imagine that it you bring your car in or it's towed in because of a problem that the first thing they do is hook up to the OBDII port and look to see what you been doing with the car. What do you think Ford would do if your engine is blown and the last thing they see in the data is high speed driving and revs to redline over and over AND there are mods to the engine!

I know I wouldn't cover that if I were in charge...

If you make those kinds of mods expect that your warranty ended when you modded the car!

Brian

#125 ·
Agreed. A lot of people complain about this idea of manufacturers voiding warranties on modded cars, but look at it from their perspective. They designed the vehicle to run within certain parameters - if you push the envelope performance-wise, why should they be responsible for resulting damage? They sold and warranted a road car, not a race car. That's just the way it is.

#128 ·
yeah i know he does. I know just enough to be dangerous, and want to learn more. I will have to check my a/f numbers when I dyno. I will probably be doing stock and intake, so i have a comparison and see how much leaner the steeda runs.

#131 ·
I did this log earlier this evening.

0~2 seconds: Steady throttle in 2nd gear. A/F (commanded and actual) is mid to high 14's as expected.

2~10 seconds: WOT, fuel rail pressure goes up to 2000+, A/F (commanded and actual) are in the mid 12's, fuel system remains in closed loop.

10~19 seconds: Foot off the throttle, A/F actual off the scale because of fuel cutoff, fuel system is open loop.

#132 ·
I did this log earlier this evening.

0~2 seconds: Steady throttle in 2nd gear. A/F (commanded and actual) is mid to high 14's as expected.

2~10 seconds: WOT, fuel rail pressure goes up to 2000+, A/F (commanded and actual) are in the mid 12's, fuel system is closed loop.

10~19 seconds: Foot off the throttle, A/F actual off the scale because of fuel cutoff, fuel system is open loop.

You need to figure out a way to post spread sheets, those graphs are vertically useless.

Something like this. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64314401/4th Gear WOT.xlsx

#143 ·
Let me say this , if you do not have a standalone wide band air fuel gauge then you dont have a clue what your actual air fuel is at WOT

Scan tools are great but if you dont understand how the ECU works then you wont understand the readings your getting and in most cases this creates more confusion then anything

Tom

#149 ·
Let me say this , if you do not have a standalone wide band air fuel gauge then you dont have a clue what your actual air fuel is at WOT
The primary O2 sensor (in the 2012 Focus) works fine at WOT. There is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't.

I have not been into the new 2012 ECU much yet...
Scan tools are great but if you dont understand how the ECU works then you wont understand the readings your getting and in most cases this creates more confusion then anything
Agreed.

#179 ·
Yeah... in 2011, they started using that as the stoich value. The tough thing is that people still speak in terms of "air/fuel ratio" and not "lambda".

This is a tough concept to grasp. If you're running .850 lambda, for example... the "air/fuel ratio" changes for what gas you're running. So, .850 lambda is 12.44 air/fuel ratio with gasoline (14.64 stoich). .850 lambda is 11.96 air/fuel ratio with 10% ethanol (14.08 stoich). The stoich air/fuel is all that changes, but the ratio of .850:1 remains the same, with 1 being stoich.

Customers will always just hear the proper "air/fuel" ratio to run, or see the air/fuel ratio printout, and most widebands are still set up to display whatever lambda they read, multiplied by 14.64. So, for the foreseeable future, we're stuck talking in AFR instead of lambda.

Either way, it doesn't matter at the end of the day, because if they're unhappy with the air/fuel ratio, the lambda is too high. This means it's going to be too high, regardless of what stoich. If 13.2 is too lean, for example, that means that it still needs to be adjusted down to 12.8, let's say. The stoich should go from .9-ish down to .875-ish. Then, it doesn't matter if you use pure ethanol (which the stoich is 9:1), the .875 will still be okay, and air/fuel ratio would become 7.65.

End ramble.
I assume this is in part for flex fuel. When you run say E85 for awhile then at half tank decide to go to 87 oct. Now your running E42.5 so O2s are basically measuring real world octane and adjusting the lambda to match?[dunno]

#180 ·
I assume this is in part for flex fuel. When you run say E85 for awhile then at half tank decide to go to 87 oct. Now your running E42.5 so O2s are basically measuring real world octane and adjusting the lambda to match?[dunno]
The stoich itself is a set value in the PCM at 14.079, but the car itself won't actually know what fuel it has in the tank. Since ethanol is a regulated deal, it just makes sense to include that in at least US calibrations.

The only thing it knows is the quality of the fuel in terms of adaptive spark and knock sensors. If it's 87 octane, it's not going to be aggressive as if you fill with 93 octane. The knock sensor strategy is intelligent enough to add/subtract based on audible feedback.

It also will know the commanded and actual lambdas. So, the car just needs a proper lambda, and needs knock sensors that can add/remove timing based on fuel quality. In those terms, yes - it will know the fuel quality.

The proper lambda for E85 and the proper lambda for 100% gasoline, for a given car/mods, will be the same. If that lambda too lean or too rich for gasoline, it's going to be too lean or too rich for E85. The only difference is when you speak about it in terms of air/fuel ratio. So really, the car doesn't need to know what fuel is in it. Make sense?

Hope this helps!

#154 ·
If this is anything like the 2011+ Mustang PCM codes, the car will not actually go to open loop at WOT. They have a factory wideband sensor, so the car stays in closed loop and fuel trims will adjust even at WOT.

There is "OP mode" aka Optimum Performance, but it's still technically closed loop. You can set the throttle position for OP mode.

The 2012 Focus could be the same way. I might be able to get a PCM code or two opened up in SCT.

#158 ·
Slightly off topic...

So, Tom, would you recommend no Mods at all til tuning is able to be performed or would a cat-back be okay with current knowledge??? Is the intake the more risky mod for now?

Thanks,
Casey

#159 ·
I wouldn't be throwing up a red flag, but I would definatly proceed with caution until a tune comes along. I'm not Tom but I just graduated with a degree in applied science in automotive tech. I wouldn't be worried unless your planning on running your car really hard all day in hot weather. Keep it on the streets and not the track until tunes come out and all should be ok.

#162 ·
If your worried about knocking because your running moderately lean, use premium gasoline (91oct+) and take it easy until a tune comes around (better yet, if your worried just don't do it). Yes, you CAN do harm by modding a car w/o a tune. It's not advisable, but at the same time neither is half of the things most people do to their cars. At best running lean you will be losing performance (expect big gains with a tune). At worst (if your driving like a maniac 80% of the time) your going to have a world of problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.