Brand new Ford with tire bulge - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
nicolefiore90
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 162290
What I Drive: 2014, Black, Ford Escape

FF Reputation: 1 nicolefiore90 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Those are not scuff marks wither just some mud as it has been raining here.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #12
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,721, Level 76
Points: 13,721, Level: 76 Points: 13,721, Level: 76 Points: 13,721, Level: 76
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
That pic of the tire with bulge is scary. Yikes! I would not drive ten feet on a tire like that.
I have never had any problems with tires. In fact the opposite. On my Ford Contour SVT, when I replaced the tires the changer guy showed my the inside of the right rear, . It had nails, including a large spike clear through the tire, with the outside heads etc worn down to the tread. That tire never leaked any air.. Even with all those nails clear through the tire. (and I drove those tires at over 135mph plenty of times too) BF Goodrich OEM.
(I almost thought someone had placed those in the tire over time trying to get me a flat tire more than once..with so many all in the same tire. If they did, I bet they were miffed I never had any problems! )
Old 05-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #13
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,172, Level 34
Points: 3,172, Level: 34 Points: 3,172, Level: 34 Points: 3,172, Level: 34
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 38%
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Check the hot tire air pressure, too high can do that, I have hell with a Pep Boys that routinely insists on airing up tires to 50 psi. After losing a couple I started checking every one I got from them. I get wheel removed from car, I don't even let them mount the wheels on car. Check a wheel and just like clockwork 50 psi, I gave up complaining long ago, it did nothing. They claim their setting is 35 psi but I get 50 with 3 different gauges.

Bulging is evidence of loosened quality control with whoever is making the tires, the different layers of sidewall are not bonded together as well as they should be. Anybody surprised at that?
Old 05-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,721, Level 76
Points: 13,721, Level: 76 Points: 13,721, Level: 76 Points: 13,721, Level: 76
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I always inflate my tires well over the 'recommended' pressure. My current 2012 Focus I have 44/45 psi front, 39/40 psi rear
The differential is due to the different weight on the tires.. (to have the same shape contact patch..
Since i learned about contact patch and how to find the best one I have always run my tire higher than the stock pressures. better wear, better mpg, better resistance to fails, and better handling.
But I agree 50psi is too high for a stock tire.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #15
block
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 133889
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE 5 speed

Points 221, Level 4
Points: 221, Level: 4 Points: 221, Level: 4 Points: 221, Level: 4
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 1 block Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hmmm, I saw 4 tires for sale on craigslist, and one had a (fully disclosed) bulge. I don't recall reading about bulges on the msg board for my prior car...

Going above PSI rating on the tire might be dangerous. or at least harm the tire in some way - they can only take so much pressure/force Pressure goes noticeably higher during use, and even more if it's also hot outside...

Higher pressure decreases the amount of rubber on the road, so hardly would it increase/improve handling. Also, the tire will tend to bounce more over bumps like a well-inflated basketball.

I go just 2-3 lbs above what the car manufacturer recommends, but am well below the tire's max PSI.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #16
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,648, Level 95
Points: 24,648, Level: 95 Points: 24,648, Level: 95 Points: 24,648, Level: 95
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
Hmmm, I saw 4 tires for sale on craigslist, and one had a (fully disclosed) bulge. I don't recall reading about bulges on the msg board for my prior car...

Going above PSI rating on the tire might be dangerous. or at least harm the tire in some way - they can only take so much pressure/force Pressure goes noticeably higher during use, and even more if it's also hot outside...

Higher pressure decreases the amount of rubber on the road, so hardly would it increase/improve handling. Also, the tire will tend to bounce more over bumps like a well-inflated basketball.

I go just 2-3 lbs above what the car manufacturer recommends, but am well below the tire's max PSI.
All tires have a max cold-inflation limit. As long as you're below it (when cold) the tire will be fine as it takes into account increased temperatures while driving. Fwiw, handling characteristics are generally improved by raising pressures within limits.
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.