Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2013 engine "click click whir" (engine not running)

66K views 230 replies 60 participants last post by  Kabigon 
#1 ·
First post. Just got my US 5-door SE and love it so far.

However, I can't figure out this odd noise that occurs with the engine off. When I open the driver door, something in the engine compartment begins to do a "click click whir" cycle. If I don't start the engine this sound will repeat every 10-20 seconds (I think, although I don't think it is perfectly periodic) for several minutes. I have not exactly timed everything, but after several minutes this stops. It only seems to happen when the engine has not been run for a while.

When looking down at the engine from the front of the car, the noise is coming from the right side of the engine (left side when sitting in the car). I can't see any external movement in this area, but I may very well have missed something - things are crammed pretty tight.

I can understand the car doing something when the driver door is opened, because the computer will anticipate the engine is going to be started. But this sound continues to occur for minutes without the key even being inserted. Vehicle health report doesn't say anything is wrong (although I have no idea how thorough these are). I noticed this at the dealer on the day I picked up the car, and the service guy said there were no engine codes. He also told me "this is normal", but I assume that is the standard answer if they don't really know and just want to get you off the lot.

This noise sounds like it is something the car is doing deliberately, but it's still disturbing. I noticed that the interior lights dim a bit when this occurs, showing it takes a fair amount of power. The car has been running perfectly, but I'd like to get an explanation of what the engine is actually doing in this case.

Thanks to anyone with information.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you for the replies.

I investigated some more and figured out where the noise is coming from. It isn't the grill shutters (I didn't even know this vehicle had them [shameful]) or vents. It is on the air intake just past the air filter. There is some sort of mechanism in that path, and when the noise occurs I can hear that is the source, as well as feel it vibrating. Unlike what I said before, the noise appears to be periodic - about once every nine seconds.

I have uploaded a picture with an arrow pointing to the component, as well as a sound file of the click-whir occurring:
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/954296/fullsize/clicksource.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/954299/fullsize/focusclickwhirengineoff.wav
(sorry for the small image - I haven't figured out how to post a full-size link)

This occurs without starting the engine - all I have to do is briefly open the driver door and this starts occurring. It continues for several minutes (I still haven't exactly measured the time), but eventually stops.

If it's normal then I won't worry. It just seems odd to me that Ford would engineer something that cycles for such a long time with the engine cold and not running. If this is normal, I'm surprised no one else has asked about it. I searched but did not find any reference to this noise (apologizes if I did not do an adequate search).

#28 ·
We just got our new Focus a few days ago, and immediately noticed the exact same noise, coming from the exact same place. So far, I've noticed that it makes the noise every 10 seconds or so for about 10 minutes after shutting the car off. I think it also does it if you simply unlock the car, at least with the keyless. I haven't stopped back at the dealer yet, and I guess I feel a little better that mines not he only one making this noise, but I am a little concerned about it.

#7 ·
It is normal for the PCM to wake up when you open the driver door. A self test of the throttle body would not be unusual because it is a safety critical component.

If you want to hear what the throttle body motor sounds like, turn on the ignition (without starting the engine) and press the accel pedal.

As Doctor Drew said, the "clacking" sound does sound like the transmission gear actuators.

I'm not sure why others have indicated the grill shutters as mine do not move until after the engine is started.

#8 ·
Great information - thank you.

I drove into work today (only about ten miles). After being parked for approximately 15 minutes I went back to the car and opened the driver door. That self-test (or whatever) noise didn't occur. This matches my previous observation of it not occurring when the engine is warm. That is going to make it fun trying to duplicate at the dealer if I bring it in.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else can duplicate this noise. It is barely noticeable when sitting in the car with doors closed in a quiet garage, but quite clear when looking down at the engine with the hood open (but again in a quiet garage). The sound recording I took does exaggerate the volume, and adds an echo effect. It occurs about once every nine seconds, and I'd say goes on for at least three minutes. This is the only mechanical noise being produced by the engine in this situation.

BTW (hijacking my own thread): The parking garage at work has very steep ramps and tight turns, but the DCT w/hill hold worked perfectly. Much easier than my old manual-transmission 2003 Focus. Did notice a bit of vibration through the accelerator pedal, but I believe that is expected sometimes when creeping along.

#9 ·
Great information - thank you.

I drove into work today (only about ten miles). After being parked for approximately 15 minutes I went back to the car and opened the driver door. That self-test (or whatever) noise didn't occur. This matches my previous observation of it not occurring when the engine is warm. That is going to make it fun trying to duplicate at the dealer if I bring it in.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else can duplicate this noise. It is barely noticeable when sitting in the car with doors closed in a quiet garage, but quite clear when looking down at the engine with the hood open (but again in a quiet garage). The sound recording I took does exaggerate the volume, and adds an echo effect. It occurs about once every nine seconds, and I'd say goes on for at least three minutes. This is the only mechanical noise being produced by the engine in this situation...
Hi recyclebin,

I'm happy to jump in here and get involved. You may want to have your dealer check this out again the next time you have an oil change or another scheduled maintenance visit. You can continue to monitor the situation and see if there are circumstances under which you can replicate what you're experiencing so you can show your Service Tech.

Additionally, once you're ready to go to the dealer, I want to escalate your case. All I'll need is a PM from you with your VIN, preferred servicing dealer, mileage, full name, and daytime phone number; I'll do the rest.

Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks!
Crystal [thumb]

#10 ·
I think you're making too much out of nothing. This car makes all kinds of noises at different times. Pay attention when you put your key in the ignition after it hasn't been running for a while and you'll hear the fuel pump click on. Lots of electronics. Lots of servos.

#11 ·
Well let me tell you... I have two 2013 4doors one with the sfe package and a regular SE well the one with the SFE package doesn't make this noise but the one with out does and it does it for a long time every time you open the drivers door I'm taking in to get look at as soon as I'm done installing my remote start.

#17 ·
Coincidentally, when I was walking around the local Ford lot last night checking strut braces, one of the 2013 Foci I opened the door on, did this.

It kept cycling through the 'click-click-whirr' several times, and might have kept going after I shut the hood and walked away. I figured it was just a quirk of the DCT.

#18 ·
My 2012 SEL hatch does this. My mom's 07 Escape Hybrid does it also. Her dealer told her it's the car testing the safety systems before the car is started. I'm guessing its testing the throttle body, the transmission, and the brake system.

#20 ·
Hey guys! I just got my Focus 2 days ago, and this morning I noticed I have this same noise. I figured it was nothing, but I'd feel better knowing what it is and why it is doing it.

I have an appointment Friday to get a blemish buffed out that was there from transit and I plan to show him this forum and the sound you uploaded as an example, because as you stated before it tends to only make this noise when you use something electric and after the car has been sitting for a bit.

#23 ·
Hi keeneo70!

Congrats on the new Focus; I'm sure you'll love it. Let me know how the appointment goes on Friday, and report back to the group any news you get about the whirring noise. If you ever need any assistance from me, I'm just a PM away.

Its a completely normal noise. My car does it eeeeeevery morning.

I kind of like it, its like its greeting me. Good morning, slow3v. Hop in and drive me.
This totally made me smile, slow3v. I like the idea of your Focus greeting you every morning. Now the real question is: do you say anything back to it? [hihi]

Have a great day!
Crystal

#25 ·
I Just purchased my focus on Friday and have noticed it making this same sound. Almost sounds like Herbie the Love Bug.

I would also like to know what is making the sound. Just curious.

Thanks,
Hey MNMike,

Congratulations on the new Focus! I'm the Ford Customer Service Rep around these parts, so if you ever have a question or concern, send me a PM and I'll get you some answers.

Have an awesome weekend!
Crystal

#26 ·
New Focus - Same Noise

I am glad I found this thread as I am currently experiencing the same issue. I arrive at work at 8:45 am and when I go out to my car I open the door (without the fob) and there is a noise coming from the right side of the engine. It is a click, click, and then an electronic noise as if something is cycling on. I do not turn the car on. I then come back out to my car at 11am and back at 6pm and the same thing is happening. I walk away and it is every 20 sec. doing this as I walk away. I even had one co-work tell me he thinks I have an animal stuck under my hood because he pulled up beside my car and it was making this noise.
I decided to take it to the dealership to get an answer on what is going on. I couldn't replicate this for the life of me. As I just drove it on the highway there and it only happens when cool and sitting for a while. I put the key in the ignition (do not turn it) and this is the only way I can replicate the noise. The service rep. finally understood what I was talking about. He just assumed I was an idiot and it was the car cooling. He than kept having us put the key in and take it out. He then determined that it is coming from the Powertrain Control Module and the car is reading itself to be turned driven.
I explained to him that a car sitting for hours should not be reading itself to be driven, but what do I know this is new technology. He said that these are new cars with new technology and they do not fully understand them??? What how can you service a car you know nothing about??
I do have the lights set to auto and I am thinking that maybe this is the issue, I have not checked to see if it stops doing this if I turn the lights to off. You can replicate this noise by just putting your key in, have the hood open, and you can hear that it is coming from the black box (told the Powertrain Control Module) on the right of the engine.
I called another dealership today and was told it was not normal and now they want to see the car. I will be interested to hear what you all find out is the problem!!

#39 ·
I am glad I found this thread as I am currently experiencing the same issue. I arrive at work at 8:45 am and when I go out to my car I open the door (without the fob) and there is a noise coming from the right side of the engine. It is a click, click, and then an electronic noise as if something is cycling on. I do not turn the car on. I then come back out to my car at 11am and back at 6pm and the same thing is happening. I walk away and it is every 20 sec. doing this as I walk away... You can replicate this noise by just putting your key in, have the hood open, and you can hear that it is coming from the black box (told the Powertrain Control Module) on the right of the engine.
I called another dealership today and was told it was not normal and now they want to see the car...
We just got our new Focus a few days ago, and immediately noticed the exact same noise, coming from the exact same place. So far, I've noticed that it makes the noise every 10 seconds or so for about 10 minutes after shutting the car off. I think it also does it if you simply unlock the car, at least with the keyless. I haven't stopped back at the dealer yet, and I guess I feel a little better that mines not he only one making this noise, but I am a little concerned about it.
Happy to find this thread. My wife's 2013 SE makes this cycling noise, too. It may be a small thing, but it has to create a drain on the system over time. I even thought at one point it was because we hang our keys near the cars in the garage, and perhaps the proximity caused the car to "get ready." I hope to read an answer here soon.

My S sedan (manual) makes no such noises.
...I've timed this 3 times now. It occurs right after opening the car door and occurs every 10 seconds for 3 minutes, then stops.

I was thinking this had something to do with the starting system or something, but I'm really just guessing...
Hey folks,

If you are currently experiencing this noise, please make an appointment at your dealership to inspect. They are in the best position to accurately diagnose the noise as normal or identify any potential concerns. If you have any additional questions, please reach out to me via PM.

It's the DCT transmission initializing over and over again. I heard this in the shop on the first 2013 Titanium we got in...
Thanks, csvt2060, for sharing your experience. Hopefully this will help some folks out.

Never really though that sound was a problem, more like this was awesome! It makes me feel like I'm getting into some space vehicle or something, kind of like back to the future lol!
This totally made me smile, MC1992! I love that you think of your Focus as a space vehicle! [:)]

...Since we do have Ford representitives monitoring this forum, can't one of them ask internally what this is, and how many times it should be happening when the drivers door is opened (or any other situations that trigger it)? I would like to know, but bringing it in for service is a huge pain - especially since probably all they will do is check for OBD faults, find none, and tell me "it's normal"...
Hi recylcebin,

Your dealership is in the best position to identify the source of this noise since they can actually see and put their hands on your vehicle. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread and making note of your dealerships' diagnoses; I'll make note of any trends and pass it along to the engineering team as appropriate.

Have a great day, everyone!
Crystal

#27 ·
It's the DCT transmission initializing over and over again. I heard this in the shop on the first 2013 Titanium we got in. Not sure what this is causing it but I am sure they will be coming out whith a TSB shortly. This vehicle has to be eating up Ford in warranty costs.

#30 ·
click > click > whir, indeed!

Happy to find this thread. My wife's 2013 SE makes this cycling noise, too. It may be a small thing, but it has to create a drain on the system over time. I even thought at one point it was because we hang our keys near the cars in the garage, and perhaps the proximity caused the car to "get ready." I hope to read an answer here soon.

My S sedan (manual) makes no such noises.

#35 ·
Hi all, this is my first post here since I've just purchased my 2013 Platinum White Titanium yesterday. So, firstly let me start by saying hello to all and that I'm excited to be part of your forum.

Ok, to the issue... Sounds exactly like the .wav file the original guy posted at the beginning.

I've timed this 3 times now. It occurs right after opening the car door and occurs every 10 seconds for 3 minutes, then stops.

I was thinking this had something to do with the starting system or something, but I'm really just guessing.

Any help???? I think we really need a definitive answer on this.

Peace,
Defender

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.