Focus Fanatics Forum banner

seventystangfan's '02 ZX3 Build

13K views 91 replies 18 participants last post by  02fordsvt 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is my newly bought 2002 Focus ZX3 ZETEC 5-speed. I got this car 10-16-2012. I was able to trade my previous car, a 1997 Explorer Sport 4x4, evenly. The main reason for this trade was of course the fuel milage (14-15 MPG vs 30+ MPG.) I'm sure this difference in MPG would be much greater were I a nicer driver ;)

So, basic info...
2002 ZX3
150,000 miles
2.0 ZETEC 5-speed manual
Cloth seats, cruise, manual windows and locks, baseline Focus model.

As of October 23, 2012 I have changed oil and filter, air filter, replaced the sway bar link the previous owner did not (this previous one was twisted) and 2 tires.
I have found out that it needs both struts on the front replaced, a rear bushing that requires the whole assembly be replaced, and that its current wheels are kinda poopy. They have extreme curb rash and also don't balance well. So my first "mods" persay will be the struts, that bushing assembly, and hopefully wheels. I've put pictures of the wheels on here, let me know your opinion on them...

After these things I would love to do a CAI, tinted lights, a shortie antenna, weight reduction, possibly new seats, and some body repairs, and whatever else I find on the forum [wrenchin]

Link to photo album- https://picasaweb.google.com/102357047641679046925/FocusPics?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPrN9Zr_zKvC3gE&feat=directlink

See less See more
#55 ·
Thanks! I only did "three" coats, but I may have done them a little thicker than usual. I'm loving the way it accents the silver of the car. I'll get a better picture up when I get some free time. Also I need to do the third brake cover, but I'm satisfied for now. It is too cold to do anything. I barely had the patience to put oil in one of my parents' cars yesterday.

#56 ·
Just a heads up!- when you go to tint your third brake light, do not just spray niteshades on it! It will crack and look terrible. You need to spray down some gloss on it first, let it dry, then tint. Believe me, mine was bad before i sprayed gloss first lol

#58 · (Edited)
So, I had a crazy experience with my Focus the other day. It started bogging down when load was being put on the engine. There was a green liquid in the spark plug wells so my immediate thought was cracked head. Turned out to be degreaser from the car wash the other day. Vacuumed them or and changed the spark plugs just for good measure and is working great!

Side note: having some noticeable noise coming from the front passenger tire area. It's almost a knocking nose accompanied by a shake at highway speeds. Could it be an unbalanced wheel, bad alignment, warped rotor? How should I diagnose it?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

#60 · (Edited)
New tie rod ends, still a noticeable intermittent vibration/borderline knock at mid to high speeds. Hopefully I'm getting an alignment tomorrow and I'll see if it is a suspension component. If not it seems the most likely explanation is a bad motor mount(s).

#61 ·
Ordered passenger engine Mount and transmission Mount, I'm getting tired of the extreme vibration at cold startups. Also I went ahead and fo5 the Haynes manual so I can consult that if there's anything I can't find a good writeup on.

Side note- Next expensive modification will probably be a tuner along with a tune, hopefully followed by an SVT header. Turbo is looking pretty distant and I'll hopefully get a newer Ford prior to doing that but we will see how that goes.

#64 ·
Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking that before I change the header and exhaust, etc, that I'll get a time from FSWerks. What do you think about that? That way I don't have to worry about the EGR or cat

#66 ·
Sweet, it goes on the list. I'm getting tired of my stock headlights. I can barely see anything at night and if it's raining I can't see anything at all. I'm thinking about getting the Morimoto kit from the retrofit source. Anyone have a better recommendation on lights? I'm also considering their more advanced kit that is $310. Or should I just get an ebay kit?

#67 ·
LOOOOONG post

Time for me to catch up on things I've done to the Focus. First I'll tell about the motor/transmission mounts. When I went over small hills or bumps there would be an awful knocking around noise. Finally I bit the bullet and bought both the passenger motor mount and the transmission mount. Glad that I finally did this because I have not had that noise since!

Here is the new tranny mount next to the old one. The old motor mount was missing the cap and when I removed it there was no pressure... I think all fluid may have drained out of it.

Secondly, I decided to save that $300+ I almost spent on retrofits (I still want them so badly) and just did a headlight restore. While I had it apart I went ahead and painted the inserts and I am happy with the new look. I may end up getting a different driver light anyway, it has moisture inside and it didn't turn out as well as the right side. Here are a few pics of how terrible it was.

BEFORE

AFTER

Just for fun here are a few pics. The grey GTi is my brothers. I got to drive it home from Texas when he got it and it definitely gave me the turbo bug. Someday I hope to get an SVT and I may build that engine but this Focus will remain just a driver. And that snow is from the first week of the season, the season being SPRING!

#69 ·
Haha, thanks! And performance parts are usually best bought from NOT ebay. I'll wait for a good deal SVT set or not do it at all. I'd rather have the best than something that is just okay.

#72 ·
The lunchbox is kind of depressing me as it is, if I had an angle grinder it might not exist right now... How much do you think they'd be willing to sell it for? If around/less than $100 w/shipping I may be up for it.

The headlights look good! I've thought about trying that, but I don't like the thought of baking auto parts in the same oven I occasionally bake dinner with LOL! I'll probably just go with Depo SVT replacements for that black housing look.

Might I suggest some new bulbs if brightness is a problem. I went with PIAA H4 Xtreme White Plus bulbs for $50. Dramatic difference compared with OEM.
Thanks! It doesn't seem to make sense putting the headlights in there, and on April Fools day don't try it especially. It is a relatively low temp though at 200* and it works great. I didn't have to put them through twice, but I see why some people do.

I am looking at some different halogens. I think mine are mismatched at this point. They have different spreads and colors. And for $50-70 it is definitely worth getting different ones.

#71 ·
The headlights look good! I've thought about trying that, but I don't like the thought of baking auto parts in the same oven I occasionally bake dinner with LOL! I'll probably just go with Depo SVT replacements for that black housing look.

Might I suggest some new bulbs if brightness is a problem. I went with PIAA H4 Xtreme White Plus bulbs for $50. Dramatic difference compared with OEM.

#73 ·
Finally took a trip to the new Pick-n-pull in town. It's hard seeing dead Foci... But there was only one hatchback. I found a cargo cover, nice set of headlights, Grey/silver instrument cluster, grille, Fender liner, hatch trim, and radio bezel.

I got the instrument cluster because I'm digging the OEM grey that it is. Headlights and grille are project materials, in the case that I wanted to go back to stock, retrofit, etc. My radio bezel was kinda trashed so I picked up this one. Fender liner was missing, and hatch trim is broken. I am so glad that cargo cover was there though, I've been wanting one since I got my Focus.

I'm definitely thinking that the cover could get a nice design on it. I was tempted to pick up a set of tails too but I decided against it.

#75 ·
It's definitely a fun experience. It also is kind of depressing seeing a car so similar to yours though...

I was halfway tempted to just sit there and take apart the Focus and take the whole thing with me.

#76 ·
Nice scores! It's always awesome coming home with a bunch of parts. The cluster looks good. Did you install the whole thing? Your mileage will be off forever if so... I just switched out the guage face and needles, everything else is from my factory cluster so i can keep my blue odometer and miles.

Also, is that hatch trim gloss black or textured black!?

#78 ·
Nice scores! It's always awesome coming home with a bunch of parts. The cluster looks good. Did you install the whole thing? Your mileage will be off forever if so... I just switched out the guage face and needles, everything else is from my factory cluster so i can keep my blue odometer and miles.

Also, is that hatch trim gloss black or textured black!?
The new cluster is in pieces right now! I think I'm going to order some LEDs for illumination before I install it. And I'm pretty sure the hatch trim is just textured, but I think for colormatching I will sand down/bondo it for a cleaner install.

Nice parts man. I like what you did with your headlights, what did you use to clean up the lenses? Just don't get the Phillips crystal visions unless you have hid fog lights, you won't see anything with low beams, only high.
Thanks! I used a 3M restoration kit bought from O'Reilly Auto Parts. I think I'll get a refill kit for it and do these headlights, but maybe without taking them apart... And thanks for the info about the Philips bulbs. Currently I have one non-HID fog so those would be VERY bad.

#77 ·
Nice parts man. I like what you did with your headlights, what did you use to clean up the lenses? Just don't get the Phillips crystal visions unless you have hid fog lights, you won't see anything with low beams, only high.

#80 ·
Only two of the bolts did not twist off... but the two most important survived. I had put 194s in my Explorer before I traded it for this and they were one of the best upgrades I could have done. I like having to turn the brightness down [;)]

How do those license plate lights attach? I have the trim apart now as well. I may do an emblem delete on this trim if I will already be bondoing/sanding.

#81 ·
#82 ·
I ordered dash lights and dome/license plate lights from Amazon. As soon as those come in I will be installing this great new instrument panel. Maybe I will also be able to colormatch my hatch trim before then.

#83 ·
My LEDs arrived yesterday so I got my new dash installed along with those. Changed out the center dome light for an LED. I also finally hardwired my dashcam power source into the car.

On a very unpleasant note, my rear motor mount bracket (attached to the engine and the dogbone mount) has given up on its existence. I popped the clutch a little more forcefully than it wanted me to and it broke into pieces. Ordered the dogbone and the bracket from Tousley Ford online store for about $80 plus shipping.

This looks like it has been missing for a long time, but I am NOT replacing the entire transmission housing for this bolt. Any ideas on how to fix this or will it survive without it?

#87 ·
New Mount and bracket are finally installed. I hate not having a functional vehicle so hopefully it doesn't go out like that again! I'm really glad no transmission issues were caused and hope that it remains that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.