Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Go for ST or wait for RS?

10K views 46 replies 27 participants last post by  timmay9162 
#1 ·
There have been faint rumors churning through the rumor mill about an RS eventually coming stateside. I've toyed with the idea of getting a new car next summer after I graduate (I know that's still a ways out), but should I be holding out any hope for an RS before I drop close to $30k on an ST?

#2 ·
it took long enough just to get a ST here. I have a feeling if you wait for the "next best thing" you'll be waiting for a long time

#5 ·
IF we get the RS, it will probably be a 2015 model. I wouldn't hold your breath on it coming stateside, or being under $36K. The 4-door Golf R starts over $36K. Ford and VW pricing have similar pricing on thier hot-hatches.

I have two recomendations:

1) Buy an ST and be happy with it, it is a great vehicle.

2) Buy the cleanest, used, 2009 or newer GTi you can find. Spend $3000-5000 on a APR stage 2/3 kit, intercooler, LSD, upgraded brakes, upgraded suspension, etc, and have a car with over 400 HP. The aftermarket solutions for VAG products are amazing compared to what Ford tuners offer, even in Europe.

#10 ·
It would be more productive to watch glaciers move.

Think of it this way, the more ST's Ford is able to sell, the more likely it is that we will get an RS. If nobody buys an ST thinking they'll wait for the RS, there will never be an RS.

#23 ·
No, we are saying buy the ST if you like it.

Waiting for the RS, in the US, is like waiting for public transportation to be built in Detroit, the national debt being paid off, peace in the Middle East, or Maroon 5 to go away. They are all fantastic ideas, that in theory could happen, but we will all believe it when we see it. The RS is a golden unicorn or vaporware stateside until you see it at a dealer.

#14 ·
Nobody is saying to waite. They are telling you to get the ST. There is only a 5% chance the RS will come to the US at all. 95% against. As mentioned if it does it will be a $40k++ vehicle guaranteed. Ford US does not believe people will spend that kind of money on a Focus when they can get a mustang. Fords euro division is dead set against the RS coming to the states. So if you want to waite go ahead. You'll probably be pushing retirement b4 you see an RS Focus for sale here.

#16 ·
You can't import one unless you have a ton of cash to do so but then you could never get tags or plates to be able to drive it. The Canada/Mexico thing would be way easier and just keep the foreign plates on it.

#20 ·
Me I am going to wait for the RS , If the RS doesnt come I will get a SVT and turbocharge it , less money and as good as or better then the RS will be just older

I think with this new world car that we will see the RS just like the ST sold around the world it meets all US crash STD , air bags , emmisions which is what keeps the EURO RS from coming to the US now

Tom

#22 ·
Really? I didn't get a feel it was a resounding asnwer as it's more wishful thinking at this point.
Life is too short to wait on a maybe or a possibly and I wouldn't wait on the RS unless you have a certainty that the car is actually coming.

#24 ·
Haha, wow. I figured someone would pick up on sarcasm eventually. It's a shame we won't see an RS anytime in the near future. Stupid automotive journalists trying to stir things up and get folks like us excited.

#27 ·
Buy an ST. I can't see Ford bringing an RS here. As stated in this thread and many others, Americans in general (not the folks on this board!) just see a Focus as a small economy car, not something to drop north of $35k on. For that money most Americans would look at a Camaro or Mustang or, if they prefer European, perhaps an A3 or a 135i.

Buy an ST. Enjoy the hell out of it. If an RS eventually comes state side, you can probably sell the ST without too bad a hit.

Tim

#31 ·
This is slightly misguided. Look at how many Titaniums are selling, as well as fully loaded Fiestas. People want fully loaded small cars.

The "most" you talk about, aren't going to be purchasing an RS anyway. The people that would purchase an RS, know it's heritage, and know what it can do, and would look at it. (Yes this includes Subi, Evo, VW owners, etc.)

#28 ·
The RS is coming , the RS like the ST is a "world car" If they build it USA will have it , its been the low HP # of the American Mustang that kept the ST/RS from being here before , how would it look to have a Focus out HP and out Perform a Mustang an American Icon , it wasnt going to happen , now that Ford has pulled there head out and put some muscle back into the Mustang things have changed for the Focus

We were going to have the FR200 an amazing car back in 2002 which I got to drive , it was what the SVT was going to be and like most good things Ford WAS going to do they dropped it because of the piss poor performance of the Mustang

Hands down I would wait for the RS , If you try to sell a ST with the RS out you will take a HUGH hit on the car as you will when you drive the ST off the lot new now

Tom

#32 ·
Most VW owners, from what I've seen, love the new ST and the RS. And some would even take it over an R. But the new Golfs are going to be awesome. If Ford brings the RS, which they won't, but if they did, they better make it as close to the Euro Spec RS as possible in order to get some people to jump brands.

That's what people want. Not a watered down lame American version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.