Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#1,404 ·
I just got my Focus back from the dealership. The trans was slipping and the car was shuddering. I've had the TSB reflash of the transmission. Here is the description of the work done:

23001 WARR, CC D8CP 7052 Road test inspect driveline found dual clutch slipping due to leak at bellhousing. Check oasis for tsb's and ssm's found TSB 11-12-13. Remove trans and install new input shaft seals and new dual clutch. Perfrom adaptive learning and reroad test operation 111213A. Time 6.5 HRS

The parts to fix included:

2 seal assemblies
Clutch assembly/dual clutch packs
Various nuts and bearings

So far so good. The car is also getting better MPGs, but its probably to know for sure.

#1,407 ·
My build date was in May of 2011. It sounds like the only way you can find out if you need the TSB done is go to the dealer, have them inspect the transmission, and have them do a road test. I have nothing but good things to say about the dealership I go to, and I was very suprised the clutch(es) had to be replaced at 23,000 miles.

#1,408 ·
Transmission problems

Just wanted to add that I am also having transmission issues. Just bought last weekend, build date 07/12, and transmission is horrible. It does not move at all from a stop and slams into first gear, between first and second there's nothing until it slams into gear once again, then shakes its way into third. Sport mode only helps the situation temporarily, until it too has similar problems. Highway driving is actually pretty good. I've read many posts here about the "break in" period, and understand that this is a non-standard transmission, but this cant be good for the transmission at all. I'm seriously worried about this impacting the overall life of my transmission.

I've driven just about every kind of car at one time or another. Working in car washes, new car porter, grease monkey, valet, and this is NOT normal, "special" transmission or not. If I drove one of my old manuals like this, it wouldn't last long. I want either a new transmission under warranty/recall once they get their software mess figured out or to have this thing lemoned. Hopefully enough people make noise about this so that Ford complies.

I appreciate the forum, this is the only place I've found that has any real info about what appears to be a widespread problem.

Looks like I have to go to the dealer to determine which software version I have?

#1,409 ·
I'm beginning to wonder if there are more cases of bad seals than anyone realizes (the ones that are allowing transmission fluid to come into contact with the clutches). Mine was built mid-May and I've had no issues besides its tendency to hold a gear too long after auto-downshifting in sport mode.

The dilemma is that you can't know until you take it apart, or if it's been going on long enough, it probably drips fluid onto the tray. I doubt Ford would be willing to disassemble all the 'problem children' in search of leaks unless they can somehow confirm that it's a widespread problem.

I just can't believe that bad programming is to blame for ALL of these cases, when some of us have had no issues at all. They're all programmed with the same software, so I'd speculate that there are widespread leaky seals, or a lot of bad clutchpacks supplied to Ford.

#1,411 ·

I just can't believe that bad programming is to blame for ALL of these cases, when some of us have had no issues at all. They're all programmed with the same software, so I'd speculate that there are widespread leaky seals, or a lot of bad clutchpacks supplied to Ford.
The explantion is even simpler: 90% of people complaining about the DCT don't want to learn how to drive it. For different reasons, they expect a DCT to act as a slush-box and that's it. I say to them, go buy a Corola!
The rest of 10% complain for a good reason and I say to them to not give up and take it to Ford and don't stop till the problems are solved. There are here more persons happy with their DCT, even though they had their part of "troubles". I have my Focus since a year almost and I love the DCT. If it wasn't the DCT, I would have gone for a MT, but not for a slush-box.

#1,410 ·
It is obvious that Ford has made a huge mistake. Every one of these cars should be purchased back or at the very least, swap in a trans and torque converter that works.
I had the Drivability Upgrade and it is now worse than ever. Diferent symptoms. My driveway is on a slight incline and i fear that one time i am going to drive through the house it is so bad. I tried to accelerate onto the highway today and just got a huge bog until it finally downshifted by 3 gears, which had the motor almost redline. What a piece of crap this car is. I will be trading it in by the end of the month. Hopefully the dodge dealer doesn't know what a POS it is and i won't loose too much money on the trade.

#1,415 ·
I had the update done about a month ago. I got my car in March with a build date of Dec. 2011. I have a little over 4,000 miles on it and have been getting 34 mpg.

I had never had any problems with the DCT. In the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that it sometimes wants to stall when putting your foot on the gas coming out of a stop. I hope this is just from the relearning process.

Overall, I am pretty happy with my car.

#1,417 ·
Theres nothing to "learn"

If I wanted my car to drive like a manual I would have bought one, as a matter of fact, I wanted a real manual but of course you cant get the one in anything but the stripped down model. Unless you live in a different country.

All you have is a gas pedal, you're at the mercy of the computer to shift properly. Acceleration is completely unpredictable. Sport mode with the shifter is a joke, manually shifting takes over a second to respond.

Driving this car is like perpetually riding shotgun with a kid who has no idea how to drive a stick and never will learn. All you can do is say go (hit the gas) and find something to hang on to while it bucks and grinds through the first 3-4 gears.

This is by far the worst car I have ever driven.

#1,420 ·
If I wanted my car to drive like a manual I would have bought one, as a matter of fact, I wanted a real manual but of course you cant get the one in anything but the stripped down model. Unless you live in a different country.

All you have is a gas pedal, you're at the mercy of the computer to shift properly. Acceleration is completely unpredictable. Sport mode with the shifter is a joke, manually shifting takes over a second to respond.

Driving this car is like perpetually riding shotgun with a kid who has no idea how to drive a stick and never will learn. All you can do is say go (hit the gas) and find something to hang on to while it bucks and grinds through the first 3-4 gears.

This is by far the worst car I have ever driven.
I did test drive the car, i also did much research and found that the focus was top rated. What i should have done and will do in the future is find a complaint forum and see what owners are saying rather than consumers magazine and motor trend. All the commercial print support a product without extensive evaluation.
Lets address learning how to drive the DCT.
I drive 3 to 4 different vehicles in any given day. i shouldn't NEED to learn to drive the DCT. It should act like an automatic or a manual, either one i would be happy. The DCT has a mind of it's own and it is scary if you live in an area that is not FLAT terrrain.
Where do you live VOLDAR? i am guessing in an area of flat terrain.
I don't consider myself to be stupid, nor everyone else who is having an issue.
By calling people stupid you are only showing your immaturity and narrow mindedness.
How many miles do you all have on your cars? I am going to guess not many. The only time I find that my Focus bucks, is when I am coming to a quick stop and come off the gas pedal fast then the brake pedal and then back on the gas really fast and that has to do with the computer disengaging the clutch as I was braking then re-engaging after I let off the brake and by that time I am already on the gas, therefore creating the bucking issue, so technically its my fault.

You need to let your cars break in. 500 miles isn't broke in for the clutches. These are dual clutches and you would know, if you have ever driven a manual with dual clutches, that dual clutch setups can be very touchy. I have over 11,000 miles on my car and my DCT shifts very smooth anywhere from day to day driving and the occasional romp around. I climb several hills daily, a good majority of them are fairly steep especially for Texas (being from Maine I know steep) and I have never experienced any bucking. I usually hold a steady speed going up the hill and it will downshift smoothly.

If you really wanted a Manual transmission then you should have shopped around some more or should have told your dealership that they needed to find you one. Its not true that a Manual only comes in a stripped down car, the 2012 model year you could get it in a fully loaded SE Sport, the 2013 model year you can get it in the Titanium.

#1,418 ·
rp3583, next time you buy a car, test drive it and get the most of the information possible about it. I am sure you didn't do this when buying your Focus, so blame yourself for your stupidity, not everyone else.

#1,419 ·
I did test drive the car, i also did much research and found that the focus was top rated. What i should have done and will do in the future is find a complaint forum and see what owners are saying rather than consumers magazine and motor trend. All the commercial print support a product without extensive evaluation.
Lets address learning how to drive the DCT.
I drive 3 to 4 different vehicles in any given day. i shouldn't NEED to learn to drive the DCT. It should act like an automatic or a manual, either one i would be happy. The DCT has a mind of it's own and it is scary if you live in an area that is not FLAT terrrain.
Where do you live VOLDAR? i am guessing in an area of flat terrain.
I don't consider myself to be stupid, nor everyone else who is having an issue.
By calling people stupid you are only showing your immaturity and narrow mindedness.

#1,422 ·
@Gary_C and @rp3583 (and others in the same situation)

The DCT is an automated manual transmission , not a manual nor an automatic slush-box. And yes, this transmission is something different and yes, everyone should learn to drive it. What I will say here, most of it, is in the owner's manual and from my experience (and others experience) with the DCT (many here who love their DCT did this):
- the DCT needs 1000 miles to "break in". This means that during this period, you don't drive at steady rpms, you switch from D to S frequently and you don't baby it. In this break-in period your car will "learn" how to shift, because don't forget, it's software "driven" and its components need this period
- while on highway, don't use cruise control and "play" with the rpms (change from D to S and back, accelerate from 50 to 70 and then let go, then from 60 to 75 a.s.o). Don't let it "run" at the same rpms for long time.
- if you experience shudder at take-off, push harder the gas pedal, don't "feather" it and in time (sooner or later) the shudder will go away
- if you experience "lag" at the "get go", let a full second between the moment you take off the foot from the brake and when you push the gas.
- when accelerating, push the gas pedal in a fluid motion, don't "floor it".
- if on steep inclines, put it in S and push the rocker downwards to change to a lower gear. I don't know how well you know Montreal, but let me say it has some steep roads here, like San Francisco so I think I know how to handle the DCT to do what I want in hilly areas. It is not me who's complaining about it, it is you.

If after 1000 miles of driving the car as I mentioned above, you still experience problems, get it to the Ford dealer and ask him to help you fix it. If he says "it's normal", well, he's wrong. Change the dealer and fight to get them fix your car. I did this, many did it. If you are here to complain only, full of frustration about the DCT but you don't want to change anything because "you drove many other cars and expect that DCT acts as a slush-box", well, you deserve everything that comes to you, IMO.

P.S. And yes, I call it stupidity when someone is paying +25K $ (in Canada) for a car and all he does is looking after what Motor Trend and others like them say (and let me state that even them said the DCT is not for everyone) and not looking after what car owners have to say in forums like this one. So it is not exactly "calling names", it is what I think about it. We live in 2012 and not in 1990, internet is for exactly these kind of things, not only for entertainment.

Reactions: unfocused1
#1,424 ·
@Gary_C and @rp3583 (and others in the same situation)

The DCT is an automated manual transmission , not a manual nor an automatic slush-box. And yes, this transmission is something different and yes, everyone should learn to drive it. What I will say here, most of it, is in the owner's manual and from my experience (and others experience) with the DCT (many here who love their DCT did this):
- the DCT needs 1000 miles to "break in". This means that during this period, you don't drive at steady rpms, you switch from D to S frequently and you don't baby it. In this break-in period your car will "learn" how to shift, because don't forget, it's software "driven" and its components need this period
- while on highway, don't use cruise control and "play" with the rpms (change from D to S and back, accelerate from 50 to 70 and then let go, then from 60 to 75 a.s.o). Don't let it "run" at the same rpms for long time.
- if you experience shudder at take-off, push harder the gas pedal, don't "feather" it and in time (sooner or later) the shudder will go away
- if you experience "lag" at the "get go", let a full second between the moment you take off the foot from the brake and when you push the gas.
- when accelerating, push the gas pedal in a fluid motion, don't "floor it".
- if on steep inclines, put it in S and push the rocker downwards to change to a lower gear. I don't know how well you know Montreal, but let me say it has some steep roads here, like San Francisco so I think I know how to handle the DCT to do what I want in hilly areas. It is not me who's complaining about it, it is you.

If after 1000 miles of driving the car as I mentioned above, you still experience problems, get it to the Ford dealer and ask him to help you fix it. If he says "it's normal", well, he's wrong. Change the dealer and fight to get them fix your car. I did this, many did it. If you are here to complain only, full of frustration about the DCT but you don't want to change anything because "you drove many other cars and expect that DCT acts as a slush-box", well, you deserve everything that comes to you, IMO.

P.S. And yes, I call it stupidity when someone is paying +25K $ (in Canada) for a car and all he does is looking after what Motor Trend and others like them say (and let me state that even them said the DCT is not for everyone) and not what car owners have to say in forums like this. So it is not exactly "calling names", it is what I think about it.
I don't come here to rant as is evident by all 8 of my posts. I come here to look and see if there is any new information that i can go back to my dealer with. as opposed to the 855 posts you have.
So i will continue to lurk and and maybe learn something so that folks like you don't call me stupid and feel that i get what i deserve. We all have opinions and you are intitled to post yours about me and people like me. All i ask is that you try and be an adult about it.

#1,427 ·
My last vehicle that I traded in on the focus was an 04 eddie bauer explorer. The liftgate just fell off the freakin vehicle, and for some reason the 04 model year was not covered by recall when all the model years on either side of it were. So it became MY problem. I don't want Ford to screw me again and in 5 years when this transmission and clutch(es) crap out it becomes MY problem once again. This tranny/computer/whole car needs to be recalled.

#1,429 ·
And what you do with all those (including me) that are happy with their DCT ? Even though I might, in the lights of what you said above, understand your frustration, do you think the best thing is acting like you did ? Take the time and read what others said/say and how they solved their problems and you'll understand that the DCT is different and yes, it is not for everyone. Maybe not for you and you have two things to do:
1. take it to the dealer and make it fix it, but be aware that there are things you should also do so that the DCT acts like it should
2. take the "hit" of trading it in and get along with your life, because frustration is not doing good to anyone.

#1,430 ·
I've taken my last hit for Ford, it seems that's all I've ever done. Ford was much more appealing since they didn't take the bailout. I have no interest in any Government Motors vehicle.

I honestly hope your blind defense of a car you obviously like does not bite you in the rear if you keep it for any length of time. It seems these vehicles will hold together just long enough for your warranty to run out, and if it's not already been addressed by recall then you're screwed.

Bottom line the damage being done currently is irreversible, if I drove a manual like this it wouldn't make it past 5 years. There may as well be a drunk monkey under the hood randomly mashing gears.

#1,431 ·
I was not happy with my DCT every time. I had the same experience you have with it now, after an update done to it by my dealer. He said then "it is normal". You know what ? I took the car to another Ford shop and they fix it. You should do this, if you can. If not, I would advise you to disconnect the negative of the baterry for 5 minutes and then to perform the drive cycle from here:

Step 4 (drive cycle) is as follows:

1. Press the brake pedal.
2. Shift to Drive.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Shift to Reverse.
5. Wait 2 seconds.
6. Repeat (1-5) ten (10) times.
7. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle to 24.1 kmh (15 mph).
8. Brake gently to a complete stop (allow at least 6 seconds).
9. Repeat steps (7-8) five (5) times in dealership parking lot or similar setting.
10. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle performing 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts maintaining 1700-2000 rpm.
11. Accelerate to a speed between 80.5 kmh (50 mph) and 104.6 kmh (65 mph), achieve 6th gear, keep throttle steady with engine below 3000 rpm for a minimum of two (2) minutes.
12. Repeat step 11 two (2) times.
13. Test drive the vehicle.
This may solve your problems. And yes, do what I told you on the last page about how to drive the DCT and you may see some changes in your DCT.

#1,435 ·
I was not happy with my DCT every time. I had the same experience you have with it now, after an update done to it by my dealer. He said then "it is normal". You know what ? I took the car to another Ford shop and they fix it. You should do this, if you can. If not, I would advise you to disconnect the negative of the baterry for 5 minutes and then to perform the drive cycle from here:

This may solve your problems. And yes, do what I told you on the last page about how to drive the DCT and you may see some changes in your DCT.
Voldar can post whatever and i am getting sensored by a moderator. Voldar must be the voice of FORD for thier F'up. But what the hell,, this is not as free of a country as you think it is.

#1,447 ·
I might also post the following quotes from another gentleman who was in your shoes (mad as hell) but was eventually satisfied by Ford's "fix". The point? It is possible!!!

The 2012 ford focus in my opinion is a junker.I am so sorry Ive bought this car. Last ford I will ever drive. you Lost another customer ford. Its a sad day when hyundai and kia blow away a ford car. Finally ford has psuedo addressed these problems. But its too little and way too late for me. I hate this car. Its too unpredictable and is a nuisance to drive. I wished it was "poof" gone. I will trade it in when I can afford it. And this time im going foriegn! Thank you ford motor company , You have destroyed any faith a whole lot of people had in you. You coulD always do what you do best.
BURY YOUR HEADS IN THE SAND!
Well I got it fixed "WOW" what a difference. All that mess for that simple a fix?.Now it drives so much different. Yup im happy now.[wrenchin] And the dealer was very nice this time. I think I raised so much stink they took real good care of me.They actually offered me a different car. swap for something else. But now Its kinda like driving a different car. Im satisfied now.Time to drink a beer guys. thank goodness this is a done deal.see you around 12 thousand miles.Ill go back to lurking.

#1,450 ·
I also think it's premature to say the Focus is meant to "hold together until the warranty runs out". The DCT in has not been a statistically significant problem on the Focus. On TrueDelta, probably the best and most "live" reliabilty site, none of the Focus problems are transmission related.

We complain on this forum significantly more than the standard population. The Focus has actually been one of the least buggy launches for Ford in the last three years. The Fiesta, Explorer, Escape, and Edge have all had more issues. The early Explorers were nightmares.

#1,453 ·
If you get bad clutch behavior by moving your foot from the brake to the gas too quickly from a standstill, there may be a problem with the actuators that engage / disengage the clutch, or the switch on the brake pedal that disengages the clutch. Even when I go from brake to gas as fast as humanly possible, mine accelerates like it should.

#1,455 ·
Too Soon Upshifts Too Late Downshifts

Starting from a dead stop and making left turn by the time I get around the corner the transmission is already in third gear. That is too tall a gear to accelerate from that low of a speed. When I press the gas pedal it will not go! If I mash down hard enough to get it into a lower gear it jerks when it downshifts.
Similar situation, you are coming up to a red light slowing down and the light changes. Again it is not in the right gear to accelerate and does not want to downshift. It seems like it is unresponsive to the throttle input.
One of the most frustrating things I can think of is a car that will not go when you press the gas pedal.
If I take off from a dead stop and accelerate moderately it seems to work pretty well most of the time but it still has its moments. The clutch chatter or jerking has for the most part subsided.
Mine was built 6/12, it must have the most recent software or firmware or programming or whatever it is and I have about 1200 miles. So this I guess is how it works.
I am sure this is all in the name of better fuel economy but there should be some reasonable drivability built in there as well.
I would say I am happy with it about 80% of the time. Unfortunately I own it and pay for it 100% of the time.

#1,457 ·
Starting from a dead stop and making left turn by the time I get around the corner the transmission is already in third gear. That is too tall a gear to accelerate from that low of a speed. When I press the gas pedal it will not go! If I mash down hard enough to get it into a lower gear it jerks when it downshifts.
Similar situation, you are coming up to a red light slowing down and the light changes. Again it is not in the right gear to accelerate and does not want to downshift. It seems like it is unresponsive to the throttle input.
One of the most frustrating things I can think of is a car that will not go when you press the gas pedal.
If I take off from a dead stop and accelerate moderately it seems to work pretty well most of the time but it still has its moments. The clutch chatter or jerking has for the most part subsided.
Mine was built 6/12, it must have the most recent software or firmware or programming or whatever it is and I have about 1200 miles. So this I guess is how it works.
I am sure this is all in the name of better fuel economy but there should be some reasonable drivability built in there as well.
I would say I am happy with it about 80% of the time. Unfortunately I own it and pay for it 100% of the time.
Do you drive mostly in "D" or "S" mode? I drive almost exclusively in "S" mode, and I really enjoy how the car up shifts and down shifts when speeding up and slowing down. The fuel mileage may suffer a little bit, but the driving experience is night and day if you ask me (and I'm coming off of only driving manuals for the last 16 years). The only time I really use "D" is if I'm doing any highway driving because it doesn't really impact anything. So, with that said, give "S" mode a try if you haven't already. My build is 5/12, and I've been having a blast driving mine. :-D

#1,460 ·
Exactly.. If the old school method of a kickdown linkage can select the proper gear, Why can't the new computer software do it by the throttle position??
It would seem simple enough since the pedal is no longer a mechanical item. It is just a variable potentiometer that operates a servo motor. Use the output voltage from the pedal to determine downshifts as well as the manifold vaccum. Sometimes you cant build a better mouse trap.
Yes the car is fun to drive in S mode and zip around like a little hot rod but,,
my commute to work everyday which is what i bought it for, doesn't warrant speeding around town.
Driving in D mode, IN MY OPINION, is terrible.

Perhaps the few uf us that are unhappy, have a mis adjusted accelerator pedal, and the ford mechanics are not aware, thinking it is the DTC complaint????
Just thinking outloud.

#1,467 ·
@unfocused1
I was so many times "the stupid", you cannot imagine how embaressed I am about this.
But since some time, I decided to change this and never buy what ever anyone sells without double checking. And a new car is not something you buy after 15 minutes of dealer's talk, IMO. Not even after 30 minutes, nor 45. They are salesmen, so who think they will speak also about the not that good things, they live in Lalaland. Internet is best for finding the information about what you want and Google is simple to use. Rant closed.

#1,468 ·
I drive mine in S mode, selectshift 90 percent of the time, except on the open highway.

My feeble brain is still smarter than any software programming Ford has to offer with this vehicle to date. The auto downshifting in S mode when tapping the brake on steep inclines is ridiculous, sometimes revving the engine to over 6K on its own, when just a little brake is needed. This is in S mode, with no selectshift intervention, letting it do its thing.

Other than quirks I may drive-around with the DCT, I absolutely love this car. It's a shame that the evolution of the DCT may take a few more years to comb and groom, before it becomes the game changer I know it is capable of. I'd be ecstatic if they left the computer control castrated in S mode, and just have selectshift as its option only.

#1,469 ·
My feeble brain is still smarter than any software programming Ford has to offer with this vehicle to date.
I'd be ecstatic if they left the computer control castrated in S mode, and just have selectshift as its option only.
Agreed. I have been driving the past 2 days in Sport mode exclusivly and it is great. I am not saying i am driving it like a sprorts car, just shifting it manually and guess what? i went from 27mpg around town to 36.4 mpg.
I would be real happy if it had paddle shift or even put the select button(S) on the steering wheel.

Hopefully Ford gets the software straightened out because current version sucks bad!!!!!!

#1,471 ·
Hi, FWIW I just got an SE - made on July 11 - with the regular auto (non-sport), and it works very well, except for some brief jigglies on start up and first accel. I would think that the programming "in Drive" (i.e. grandma mode) is the same for sport and non-sport models?

I thought I would miss the sport mode, but I've found that dropping it into "L" just before a turn actually works quite nicely for downshifting! (I'm hoping a little more aggressive break-in will tame the cold jiggle too.)

Good luck, so you can enjoy your beasts to the fullest!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.