Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#972 ·
I had the Transmission update a couple weeks back. I never felt the car was right, but after the update it was better. I say better because it still did odd things. It would shutter at low speeds, it would sometimes not shift to a low enough gear and would shake until it got enough speed and would still jerk sometimes. I felt this was wrong, but thought maybe that was the way it should be.

Well I took my car in Saturday to get the steering gear fixed and I knew they were providing me a loaner car. I specifically asked for a 2012 Focus so I could compare it with my car. I was shocked at what I experienced! The loaner drives like a dream! It shifts perfectly, no shutter, no crazy shift patters, no issues period! What a great car to drive. Yes, you can still tell it is different from a standard automatic, but nothing like my car. My car shifts like a driver who has just learned to drive a stick shift.

So now it is on! I plan to contact the dealer this morning and let them know I want my car fixed! I am not planning to settle for an almost right car, nor should anyone else who has the same problems. Sure the update was helpful, but there are still several noticable issues. I know this transmission can work right and now I will not accept less.

I think the large number of issues that I have had with this car in the 2,000 miles I've driven it are one factor for my stubborness to accept these flaws. It has been terrible dealing with all the bugs from the transmission to the MFT and everything in the middle. I want the car I paid for and if I need to take it to the shop every Monday, I guess I will get to know the dealership really well.

I will post updates as I go through this painful process.

#974 ·
Yeah if I have to take it back time and time again I will. I now know how it should be and I do not plan to accept it like it is. I paid way to much money for that car for it to be almost right. I really think Ford needs to step up and fix the units that are having these issues. They must know there is a real issue and unless they make this right I will no longer give them my loyalty. I have purchased several new Fords and Mazdas and never have I felt like I got cheated, until now. I just want my car right.

#976 ·
we have every right to expect our "early run 2012" vechicles to operate at the level of current 2012 vechicles .... this is the same as MFT unresolved.
I only bought my car 6 weeks ago, so I really thought it would have been a newer build date. I would have never thought it would have so many issues. Yeah the MFT thing has been unacceptable. It is 100% a software issue. An issue that can be fixed. I would not think the hardware has a problem, but maybe. I know mine keeps losing the time. That could certainly be a hardware problem.

#999 ·
Steps 1-3 take just a few minutes and are performed with the Ford diagnostic tool (IDS).

Step 4 (drive cycle) is as follows:

1. Press the brake pedal.
2. Shift to Drive.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Shift to Reverse.
5. Wait 2 seconds.
6. Repeat (1-5) ten (10) times.
7. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle to 24.1 kmh (15 mph).
8. Brake gently to a complete stop (allow at least 6 seconds).
9. Repeat steps (7-8) five (5) times in dealership parking lot or similar setting.
10. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle performing 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts maintaining 1700-2000 rpm.
11. Accelerate to a speed between 80.5 kmh (50 mph) and 104.6 kmh (65 mph), achieve 6th gear, keep throttle steady with engine below 3000 rpm for a minimum of two (2) minutes.
12. Repeat step 11 two (2) times.
13. Test drive the vehicle.

#1,002 ·
I got a stupid question. How on earth can one do the drive steps? When I went to Pines Ford Lincoln in Pembroke Pines, FL to get my transmission reflashed, they tested the transmission in the parking lot. The dealer is located at least several miles away from either I-75, or the Florida Turnpike.

My question is that is there an alternative method? Not all Ford dealers are located close to the highway. I can not do this with the FHP littered highways, or at least without attracting suspicion from other motorists.

Like DBrim said, it is no wonder service techs do not want to do this. Why risk possible damage to the customers vehicle.

#1,011 ·
So when your drive a brand new car off the lot is the Adaptive Transmission Control is a clean slate or has the shift strategy programmed into the by using the steps above. If it comes with a clean slate i would think that the steps above would be needed.

#1,013 ·
What a good-looking question. [:X] But really, you're right, if they have to go through that procedure after RE-installing new software at the dealer you would think they'd have to after initially installing the new software at the factory as well. Don't make no sense..... [scratch]

#1,012 ·
Mine was fine when we took delivery. It had only 3 miles which tells me nothing other than a pre-delivery inspection (PDI) was done.

It also has a build date of 3/19/12 and I took delivery 3/28. Seems to be great in every way with nearly 1000 miles already. The car drives and shifts perfectly. It's a shame the car belongs to my wife though. I want one now!

#1,014 ·
I want to do this but I can't find anything about the diagnostic tool in the manual. Will that run automatically if I reset the system and then I just start with step 4? Also, I wonder if the car does this automatically as you drive and hit each requirement of the test, and running through it step by step only makes it learn faster.

#1,015 ·
Just got ours back from the dealer this morning after having service work and the TSB for the transmission applied. Did a little start and stop and highway driving and I have noticed a difference in the way it shifts. Will see how things go as we drive it more and report back. But so far impressive. By the way I got a Chevy HHR rental to drive while they had my car (2 days) and geezzz what a tin can.

#1,017 ·
After having shift problems since delivery nearly a year ago ... and a new clutch a couple of weeks ago ... which drove fine off the dealer's lot ... i am now starting to see some of the same symptoms i had before they "researched" the problem and replaced the clutch ...

Tell me -- has anyone had the entire transmisson replaced? or just this new clutch band aid?

And if the latest up grade worked for you ... what was the build date???

I am talking an April 1, 2011 ... yes, I know I should have turned the car down just because of that build date.

#1,018 ·
It wasnt your clutch, the dealers just dont no what do do to fix these transmissions. They are going to have to redesign the hardware and electronics. look for the future tranys parts to supercede our old ones.My guess is next year take your car back for the warranty repair and get it right[wave]

#1,019 ·
That's what I am thinking ... it would be really smart of them if they could just turn off the adaptive learning cycle and set up a same shift pattern every time ... I'm thinking they have over-reached what they can leave up to the "computer" to do for us humans.

just turn it off and give us same, same every time and let us humans decide what we want to do with a program we can depend on to be the same, same every time.

I think that will work better.

#1,021 ·
Any special way I need to drive with the DCT to begin with ? Thanks in advance. build date 3-27-2012
If we are to believe the Ford engineering and human factors geniuses... there is absolutely NOTHING you need to do but be YOU. A lot of the stuff you read in this tread is trying to solve or absolve some of the early problems ford had in its goal to eliminate the need for human decision making while driving the DCT.

get the car, and it may very well work fine ... like Luke Skywalker ... one with your machine.

I on the other hand seem to be driving a different car ... depending on what kind of driving i am doing that day ... heavy traffic, light traffic, highway etc.
But unfortunately it seems to lag the specific pattern i'm driving about half the time.

#1,023 ·
I had the clutch replaced controlling gears 2, 4, and 6. No more chatter. I still have complaints about on/off light throttle transitions, slow downhill coast erratic shifting, and "S" mode double downshifts when hitting the brake twice on downhill inclines; possibly that works as intended, but going down a hill at a screaming 5K rpm is a bit unsettling, when I probably should have only tapped the brake once.

That isssue I am blaming myself, as I've driven manuals and autos for 42 years, and this is something quite new, that I have to get used to.

At any rate, no double brakey on downhilly unless you want engine to go zoomy-zoomy!

Dont recall if I was in just "S" mode, or "S" mode and hit downshift once on the toggle, and then hit the brake.

Where's that manual when you need it!

#1,028 ·
same here... just got mine 3 days ago. Production date as per VIN is March 12th 2012.

As soon as I left the dealer's parking lot, I noticed that it was jerking & shuttering during stop & go. Before calling the dealer, I thought of coming online to find if this was normal behavior, and noticed 86 pages of this thread, with hundreds of similar situations as I have.

I tried locating the key posts with the steps to follow in reporting it to my dealer, but my head is spinning from reading all the content here!

Can someone let me know what is the exact TSB (is there a TSB# I can refer to) when I call the dealer? [???:)]

Thanks! :)

#1,031 · (Edited)
Let's work on setting up definitions:

1. DCT Chattering ... shifting into second [and less noticeably random shifts higher] ...almost sounds like something physical is loose under the car and service needs to locate the loose piece and tighten it up.
1a. "chattering" doesn't seem to be changed in most cases by the current update.
1b. "chattering" doesn't seem to be changed in most cases by ford installing a new clutch
1c. "chattering" does seem to get worse the longer you are in heavy stop go traffic on hot days
1d. "chattering" doesn't always happen 100% of the time
1e. "chattering" doesn't seem to fix itself

2. "Doubling down" ... giving it gas to get moving ... like a coin toss ... either the motor will hesitate and lug, or it will quickly double down shift and off you go.
2a. Doubling down is not predictable although may be related to how fast you are pressing the gas pedal that time.

3. "Adaptive Transmission Control System" an attempt to robotize a human's irrational driving style ... I don't know about you guys, but I drive way differently depending on my mood, whether I am late for an appointment, whether I am talking on the phone, whether the traffic is light or heavy, whether we are on a 1000 mile cross country, or whether my wife is at the wheel ... duh...

4. "lugging" ... DCT decides that it really doesn't need to downshift yet ... this is especially noticeable to drivers who have driven MTs a lot and keep saying ... WTF... when this happens ... especially if you decide to double down and wonder which way the DCT will react.

Feel free to contribute to the DCT definitions.
thanks ...

[ I'm 1 year into this car and just turned 6000 miles ... the best 1500 was on a 2 day 1500 mile trip coming south for the winter ... and I am looking forward to 1500 miles going north for the summer in a couple of weeks.]

#1,046 ·
Cars in the dealership again for service relating to shudder. Tried to show them the issues, they gave me the "its normal" speech again. Leaving it there for the whole day, hoping they come up with a solution.

Thing is, when I showed the technician, he didnt think it was bad enough to warrant looking into it. It may not jerk violently and spill coffee, but it still makes driving the car and shifting gears feel sooooo clunky/awkward.

Makes the car not fun to drive.

#1,049 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum and just picked up a 2012 hatchback about 3 weeks ago. Noticed that in left turns done while coasting about 20 miles an hour, once I start pushing on the gas, about 50% of time the car starts free revving like a manual tranny would in netural. It's kind of freaked me out a bit, because it almost caused me to get rear ended. Anyone else had a similar problem? Car was built 12/11, so it should have any updates preformed on it already. This problem happens in both manual mode and auto.

#1,054 ·
Thank you all for your comments (PratoN, me2000, suss6052) ! [thankyou]

Here is a photo of the worksheet with everything they've done to the car.
Sorry for the low quality (and yes, it is in French), but iPad 2 is really what I had with me to snap a picture of it.

I have an advice to anyone who feels that something is fishy with their transmission : Keep going to the dealer and if one says "It is normal behavior !", well, don't stop there ! Look for another one and get the car to him.

me2000, I don't think the fluid got into the clutch. I checked on the net the different parts, but I am a noob when it comes to engines and it seems to me they were changing bolts and something like this.

P.S. I have one thing to say though : I still hear from time to time the "grinding" noise on my tranny (when changing from 1st to 2nd), but I think it is not a real problem. I can reproduce the grinding noise when pressing very light on the throtle from a full stop. If I press a little bit harder, the grinding noise is not there. If the noise will become too important, I will take it back again. At least, now I know WHERE to get my car to be fixed.

P.P.S. My car idles now at 630-650 as it was before. No more the feeling that the engine is "loaded". And finally, I saw the "mpg" comming up to where they were before, from a 8.9 l/100km (29.4mpg) to a 6.9 l/100km (34.9 mpg) on a short trip on the highway (20 km -vdriving it at a speed of 116 km/h = 72 mph).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.