Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Highway lane drifting

81K views 233 replies 74 participants last post by  Some Guy From NY 
#1 ·
Hey all,

My new Focus only has about 350 miles on it, about half of which are highway. I was wondering if anyone else has the following problem.

When driving on the highway, I feel it's a bit hard to keep the car in its lane. It seems like the electric steering "locks" the car into a "straight" line, but often times that "straight" path heads toward the lane divider. So I'll be going towards the left lane divider, then correct right, then head towards the right lane divider, then correct left, etc. etc. It never seems to just want to go straight ahead.

I wish car manufacturers would just keep electric crap out of cars. Unfortunately that's where the demand is. I ordered the base focus with the base radio because I'm a purist and like things simpler, way less problems. Reading all the MFT problems people are having seems to justify my decision. Unfortunately electric steering is not an option I can uncheck.

Hoping Ford will be able to troubleshoot this. But I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this yet.

Other than that I love this car.

See less See more
#168 ·
Well my car was at the dealer for about 1 week, in the end the got it right. I picked up the car on Wednesday and on Thrusday night I went to Prescott (80 mile one-way) and the car was just perfect. No issues with the steering no issues with MFT or anything for that matter. I've dealt with Sanderson Lincoln and their Ford dealer for the last 7 years for my service on my Ford & Lincoln and they have alway been pleaseure to deal with.

#169 ·
Folks, let's all realize that this steering issue thing is not happening on all of the cars. In fact, it may be a small % of cars.

The issue is real, but let's keep it in perspective. There is a TSB out on it, and the tightening procedure and bolt replacement of the rack bolts / subframe bolts also appears to be important.

#170 ·
Build 4/1/11 ... {Don't laugh} just completed annual drive from NY to Naples ~1600 miles average speed ~65 ... with a lot at 77 ... no noticeable problems. 750 miles in 11 hours one day.
Actually felt pretty good. this has to be some random influence at work here.

#171 ·
I'm so glad I found this forum, I bought a 2012 focus S 3 weeks ago to cover a 140 mile/day commute and initially really liked the car. After commuting 2 trips I started to notice that I wasn't able to one hand the wheel while in my lane on a straight highway cruise. I thought I was losing my mind because it felt like a detent in the steering at the exact straight line position. I would continually turn back and forth across this detent to maintain a straight line. It was really tedious and I thought it was all in my head seeing as it is a brand new car. After several days of this I decided to look into it a little and contacted my dealer, requesting any TSB info that they knew of. They stated that they didn't know of any but should look at the car. After that I tried google and suddenly found others describing EXACTLY what I was complaining about. I called the dealer back with the TSB info in this thread and they are in the process of replacing the rack. They were really understanding and only asked a few follow up questions, like how far my commute was. Anyhow, other than some of the hardware being on backorder, they are set to complete the work. I can't wait for the work to be completed and thanks tons for this thread validating that my mind is in tact. BTW - my manufacture date is 8-15-2011 and even though this was slightly after the TSB date they weren't in the slight bit hesitant to perform the repair.

#172 ·
Just got my car back from the service department. They did not process the TSB. They did an alignment. So far I'm OK with the results. Less slop in the center position. The steering is nice and taut during freeway cruising and doesn't loosen after small turns.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

#173 · (Edited)
Focus SE 2012 steering problems

The power steering on my 2012 SE hatchback failed yesterday. I was driving at about 10 mph, made a left turn, and the power steering went off, with the warning STEERING ASSIST FAULT SERVICE REQUIRED displayed. I pulled over and turned the car off, started it again and everything was back to normal. The car is at the dealer now. I sent the dealer a quote from, as well as a link to a post in these forums, with a fix to the problem mentioned: apparently some codes for "High Friction inside Power Steering" had been set. Clearing the codes, and reprogramming the PSCM(power steering control module?) with updated software solved the problem for that person. Hopefully the dealer will read what I sent and fix it. The car has only 250 miles on it!

I was disappointed that they didn't offer me a rental car as a courtesy(well they did, sort of: problem is that I'd have to travel an hour and a half by public transportation to pick up and drop off the car). I realize that a rental car is not part of the warranty, but I thought that they'd give me one without question out of sheer professional pride, given that I've had their new car a grand total of four days before the power steering failed.

I haven't noticed drift issues at high speeds yet. Something else to look forward to.

#177 ·
I'm getting the exact symptoms as others in this thread. I drive from Buffalo to Cleveland once or twice a week, about 200 miles one way. My car was built on 11/22/2011. Trying to keep the car centered in the lane, there is quite a bit of resistance in the steering wheel. Then because the car is approaching the side of the lane, you are forced to increase the pressure on the steering wheel. Then you can feel the steering wheel go through a very light bump and then all of a sudden the car jerks in that direction. It requires so much more attention to drive that after a couple hours I'm exhausted.

#179 ·
Trying to keep the car centered in the lane, there is quite a bit of resistance in the steering wheel. Then because the car is approaching the side of the lane, you are forced to increase the pressure on the steering wheel. Then you can feel the steering wheel go through a very light bump and then all of a sudden the car jerks in that direction.
Ours was built 12/1/2011. I'd say "there is a slight resistance" and "then you can feel the steering wheel go through a very light bump and apply power to steering in that direction."

My guess is that this is a characteristic of how the EPS applies power about the neutral center of the rack. The more I let it bother me the more I notice it. My wife seems very sensitive to it. But she has mostly driven just one vehicle for many years (a 2004 Acura TL with very well tuned and modulated hydraulic power steering) and I drive lots of different ones and (want to?) just view this as a characteristic.

Neither of us have driven more than 40 highway miles at one time.

#181 ·
Here is some info on EPAS and Drift Control from the Oct. 2010 Source Book.

Electric Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS) with Drift Control and Active Nibble Control
• EPAS is a sophisticated electric speed-sensitive assist for the rack-and-pinion steering system
– Offers light, responsive steering around town and for parking
– At higher speeds, EPAS delivers less steering assist for more confident control
• EPAS replaces the hydraulic gear system that pulled power (and efficiency) from the engine via a belt
• Helps improve fuel economy and eliminate hydraulic noises common with hydraulic systems
Drift Control
• An automatic system that uses EPAS to help continuously correct for road irregularities and improve overall steering feel
• System is continually “learning” and adapting to steering conditions and compensates for changes that can cause the vehicle to pull left or right
– Assists the steering effort to help the driver maintain a straighter path
– Helps driver avoid unwanted lane changes (or drift)
• Reduces steering effort required when driving on crowned roads or in heavy side winds

#183 ·
Sorry it took so long to report back but I did get the TSB fix for my Focus although it took a month to get accomplished due to a national backorder for the mounting hardware. Anyhow, I am so very glad that I went through the process as the end result is fantastic. I really thought I was being picky about the steering jitter I was feeling but after getting the vehicle back I am thrilled with the result. The steering is stable and tight. No more back and forth with the steering wheel and the fatigue from my commute is no longer due to the wandering. If anyone notices the issue I described previously, don't hesitate. Again thrilled with the result and impressed with how Ford handled the situation without any hassle.

#185 ·
What is the TSB number?

Sorry, don't feel like reading every post. But my car does the same. It is not happy going in a straight line. Like some other posters have said, it is like a detent and it keeps wanting to go to one side or the other going down the highway. Frustrating on a long trip. I definitely want to have all the info prior to talking to a dealer, as I usually get better results if I know more about known manufactures issues than the service dept does.

#186 ·
Ok, just to confirm (since I've no idea how a car without the problem should drive). If there is no problem then the car should not be hyper-sensitive at highway speeds... right?

The only way to describe my experience at highway speeds is that if I nudge the wheel just a bit left or right then the car would dart at the nudged direction. Basically, I feel like I'm going to get killed if I don't make super minute adjustments at 60MPH+, like the car just isn't firmly planted on the ground. Is this just me not being used to EPAS or is it an actual problem?

I done 3 trips to Seattle from Vancouver within the last month (just got back from one today) and really, I've never driven a car like this that leaves the impression that I'll die if I don't grip the wheel with both hands the whole time and put my attention into overdrive and watch everything like a hawk.

I've consulted my dealer and they say the car has no problems are there are no TSB's applicable so they can't help me. I'm Canadian so does that make me SOL? [:(]

#191 ·
I've consulted my dealer and they say the car has no problems are there are no TSB's applicable so they can't help me. I'm Canadian so does that make me SOL? [:(]
What dealership in the Metro Vancouver are you dealing with?

This whole thread, if you read it from the beginning tells the story in its entirety.

If you are having trouble, I will PM you, regarding an individual who is very good with Fords at one of the Metro area dealerships.

#187 ·
azfocus2012,

you describe the problem i was having but i can't say for sure not being able to try it. I would take it to the dealer and let them take it for a highway test drive. I don't normally complain about much but that was starting to really get to me because I have a daily commute of 140 miles round trip. After the repair, I believe they changed out the steering rack due to a gear assembly issue for the feedback to the computer, the "detent" feel was gone and I've put several thousand miles on the car since without issue.

They will look up the manufacture date of the car and even though mine was a week or so after their cutoff date because they thought the issue was under control, they still replaced mine. I'm guessing they didn't have all of the offending racks pulled off the assembly line yet.

Bakaboy, I don't know what to tell you on your issue. I didn't experience any hypersensitive steering. I don't know if it could be related or not. I would definately keep talking with the dealer if it's that bad.

#188 ·
Don't let your dealer BS you. My dealer said the same thing. I had to have Natasha from Ford customer service to help get the ball rolling. Take from me. After the steering gear was replaced the car is perfect and I have confidence in the car. The feeling that you could die was what I had. You should never having that feeling from a new car. Fight for your rights. It's been 3 months since they fixed my issue. Steering is predictable like it should. There is no guessing if the power assist kicks in and you over compansate. I had to go to another dealership because even with Fords help I had no confidence in my dealership.

#192 ·
Hi, when I brake to a full stop I get the feeling I am going through a small bump and my wheel turns itself slightly to the left (or sometimes right)... also it's kinda difficult to drive the car one handed, I get a loose/light steering wheel feeling, has anyone experienced this and have it fixed by this TSB?... thanks in advance

#193 ·
Hi, when I brake to a full stop I get the feeling I am going through a small bump and my wheel turns itself slightly to the left (or sometimes right)...
My car did this too! If it still does, I think I got used to it or something? Because I never had the TSB applied. I did have the transmission recalibration applied, but I don’t see how that would be related.

#194 ·
This is not an alignment/tire issue because

1) The car drifts both left and right, sometimes against the crown of the road (not caster)
2) The steering becomes notchy, such that the force required to steer causes a slight jump as the wheel turns, making it very difficult to point the car in a straight line
3) The characteristic becomes much more prominent with high speeds (>45mph)

#196 ·
I've gotta get on this TSB. Going down the highway in this is no different than in my 00 Protege (with shot suspension and everything else) I traded in for my Focus.

#197 ·
Well it's been awhile since I last reported my troubles with the steering issue among many other things. After many visits with the dealer about my steering problem,they finally decided to accept the fact that there is a problem when I had to educate them that there was finally a TSB out on this issue. The service rendered has been nothing short of frustration. From the very first visit, the dealership made excuses like "Well my car(focus) doesn't do that" to "we just don't have that kind of time for an extended test drive." When I got Ford corporate customer service involved, it was nothing more than going through a middle man to relay the same information to the dealer. One would think they could do more but experience tells otherwise. Help center wanted me communicate via email. I had to frequently follow up.

Now it's been 6 months after I have purchased my focus titanium and I am still awaiting for the supposedly back ordered rack and pinion. Vehicle now has close to 8k.

There have been blogs about as you rack the miles, the steering issue improves. It does seem that most of the notchy feeling has gone away after about 4k but on the other hand it couldbe me getting used it.I still need to drive with 2 hands and it does still drift - as one put it it's mildly twitchy now. In all the cars I have driven, I have never had to drive with both hands on the wheel until now.

About other observances about ford focus:
-navigation unit is nice but has locked up on me twice where the work around was to unplug the battery to reset - recommended by dealer.

-DCT transmission. It's great that it saves gas but comfort suffers do to this design. I am surprised none of the car reviews discuss how uncomfortable it is to drive in stop and go traffic. Transmission shudders and there is a laggy feel between stopping and accelerating which actually has at times caused motion sickness with me and the passengers due to unpredictable engagement of the clutch. Engineers should have the clutch engage proportionally with the brakes and accelerator.
This transmission is nothing more than a manual transmission controlled by computer. This is where it went wrong. The computer does not have enough intelligence on how much clutch pressure it needs to be applied for different driving conditions, instead it had one universal setting. Another observance noted is that the engine idles rough at times - probably due to high compression. I think it would be very difficult to diagnose in the future if there were any engine problems such as misfiring, tuneup issues,etc.

I don't know if anyone has inspected the undercarriage of the transmission but on mine there is some black dried liquid leaking out of the tranny. I'm pretty sure this is common. It looks like coating stuff that melted off the clutch materials. Eventually I'll get it checked out.,

To put everything in perspective, I would like you to know that I own 4 ford vehicles.

Have Ford Focus Titanium fully loaded.

#198 ·
-DCT transmission. It's great that it saves gas but comfort suffers do to this design. I am surprised none of the car reviews discuss how uncomfortable it is to drive in stop and go traffic. Transmission shudders and there is a laggy feel between stopping and accelerating which actually has at times caused motion sickness with me and the passengers due to unpredictable engagement of the clutch.
You should hit up the DCT thread to discuss this further, but I would point out this isn't a universal issue.

My Focus handles just fine in stop and go traffic. It's smooth to launch - either by waiting out the clutch engagement delay, or lightly accelerating (which gets a virtually instant response, IMO) - and smooth to brake back to a stop. No shudder when moving or idle. It feels identical to a torque converter save for the clutch delay (which is by design, and the accelerator bypasses it) and weaker fake "creep".

I'm sure the issue you're experiencing is real, but as far as I can tell isn't by design of the DCT.

#199 · (Edited)
I have quite a bit of miles on my car (13,800) and since I’ve gotten the car I’ve noticed the same as ccelaya. That is: “when I brake to a full stop I get the feeling I am going through a small bump and my wheel turns itself slightly to the left (or sometimes right)”

But a few times I’ve noticed that it’s hard to drive a straight line with cross-winds. They’re not necessarily strong crosswinds (i.e. today they were 10-15mph from the west) but I had to pay attention to my steering wheel input nonstop last night and this morning. Not that I usually don’t pay attention, but consciously having to hold the wheel because it [EDIT] seems to resist turning both left AND right while driving down the same stretch of road wasn’t very comforting. Do you think this is related to the TSB? I’ve known about this TSB for several months, but this is the first time it’s bothered me enough to think I might be affected. My dealer probably hates me after the transmission and headliners I forced them to fix and to throw this at them would make me feel needy...

#200 ·
But a few times I’ve noticed that it’s hard to drive a straight line with cross-winds. They’re not necessarily strong crosswinds (i.e. today they were 10-15mph from the west) but I had to pay attention to my steering wheel input nonstop last night and this morning. Not that I usually don’t pay attention, but consciously having to hold the wheel because it jerks both left AND right while driving down the same stretch of road wasn’t very comforting. Do you think this is related to the TSB?
For the TSB the symptoms are basically:
The vehicle drifts left and right, without crosswind, sometimes against the crown of the road, and it happens while holding the steering wheel still without jerky feedback. At highway speeds, it becomes difficult to correct because the steering wheel stiffens, and a correction causes a notchy change, making it difficult to drive centerline. It's like the steering wheel is tacked in place and some force breaks it free but then you steer too far.

Getting the TSB applied requires one visit to get the part ordered, usually a 7 day lead time, and a second visit to get it installed. In my case, my car had a week long date with the technician, but I doubt it should have taken that long.

#203 ·
My problem seems to have been fixed by a garden variety "alignment". I just got back from a 550 km test drive of sorts and I'm happy to say my car runs as it should. Dare I say it sticks to the road like glue now and almost darts a straight line on flat highway sections. Might still have some minor left pull and it might not be as tight as I would like it to be, but I don't care; it just drives so much better now. No more tentative steering, tugging left or right and more importantly, the feeling that I'm going to die (any second) if I make one minor mistake is gone... completely. I don't feel compelled to drive with both hands now and I don't have to put all my senses into overdrive 100% of the time. I hydroplaned twice coming back to Vancouver tonight and not once did I loose any confidence on the car. It's just that good now, I could almost cry [mecry][mecry][mecry]

#213 ·
i took mine for the same lane drifting/wandering issue and showed them the TSB and they took it in and did the TSB and found something else.. they had to special order a new sway bar as they found out that on the same TSB it noted that for 12'Focus build prior to Nov. 2011 sway bar was to be put/replaced. after the day the was over, got back my car and did not recieve any additional bill.. the statement i got was for $0 as it was covered by the warranty.

#227 ·
My 2012 Titanium went in the dealer to get the steering repaired, the problem was mainly that when driving on highways with rain grooves running parallel to the direction of travel the car would wander dangerously. I think the EPS steering rack was replaced. That problem is repaired but now when highway driving in a cross wind (winds perpendicular to the direction of travel), even moderate winds, the cars wanders pretty severely. I have had other people drive the car and they report the same thing driving in cross winds so it's not a case of me getting used to it. It happens more severely than in other cars in cross winds. I'll have to read the rest of this 23 page thread to investigate this TSB and see what that's about but my car was built in Dec. 2011.

#228 ·
My 2012 Titanium went in the dealer to get the steering repaired, the problem was mainly that when driving on highways with rain grooves running parallel to the direction of travel the car would wander dangerously. I think the EPS steering rack was replaced. That problem is repaired but now when highway driving in a cross wind (winds perpendicular to the direction of travel), even moderate winds, the cars wanders pretty severely. I have had other people drive the car and they report the same thing driving in cross winds so it's not a case of me getting used to it. It happens more severely than in other cars in cross winds. I'll have to read the rest of this 23 page thread to investigate this TSB and see what that's about but my car was built in Dec. 2011.
My car does both of these - wandering with rain grooves or moderate cross winds. I'm not even going to try to take it to the dealer - they've obviously had enough of me. May 2011 build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.