Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#125 ·
Dct - tsb

I did the TSB work today and I look forward to a smooth DCT. A knowlegeable service consultant sould be able to find the TSB.
This TSB work should only take 30 minutes and another 20 minutes or so for the mechanic to test drive according to my friend at the Ford dealership. Of course this could mean half a day depending on how busy they are and the appt was made beforehand. I mentioned the RPM surge on decelaration, irregular idle with shudder, and roughness at low speeds. Any one or a combination of these should be enough reason for them to do TSB work on the car. BTW, the very 1st TSB out on the 12 Focus is the No response to the Key FOB. This was done with the DCT work today.

#127 ·
So... I took my car in to the dealer that my family has always used for service. I made the appt in regards to the TSB, explained the TSB to the girl, left my key and walked over to Subway for lunch..she calls me
"says there are no *recalls* on my car"
that my "VIN doesnt need the service"
I countered this with "all produced before aug 12..." she said it depends on the plant it comes from... ok sister the north american focus is only coming from MI, it's not an F 150 where there's kansas city, ontario canada, etc..

they refused to do any TSB work without me leaving them the car so they can duplicate the issue... umm.. it's only shuddered twice.. and I'm not leaving my car for a week for there to be another cold, rainy day for them to 'try' and find the issue.

end of rant... if you're ever in Western New York, don't bother with Emerling Ford in Springville...all the good people that worked there retired or got better jobs, and (I'm 25 so this sounds ridiculous) but there's just smartass kids working there now.

#128 ·
I called my dealer last week, asking if they knew about the TSB. I was told that there was no recall on my vehicle, etc. I'm going in to get an oil change, and I will mention it to them again, and tell them I have some of the "issues", intermittently. We'll see how the "Canadians" handle their customers.

#129 ·
I dropped my car off last night to have the TSB fix done to my car, I thought it would be pretty simple and I could swing by the dealer after work tonight. Turns out that's not the case, there is something else wrong with the transmission that they are attempting to diagnose. I hope it is nothing serious.

#130 ·
These dealership advisers are morons. These are not RECALLS, they're TSBs. Completely different!

Also, Focus4U, can you get the TSB number of the key fob issue?

#132 ·
Where did you find an area that listed TSBs? All I see is a spot for recall notices. These procedures aren't recalls.

#138 ·
Indeed. After my TSB fix, I still have some slight shudder as well. Beforehand though, shift points were awkward and often too low, the car wouldn't readily upshift when given some throttle input, shaking was present at low speeds, and everything else described in this thread, apparently. Glad you have a car without the issues.

#139 ·
Well had the update done about 2 weeks ago. I can say two things are fixed...but a new issue has come up.

The shudder at low speeds is almost none existent and the grinding between gears (1-2 and 2-3) is gone.

The issue I am trying to figure out now is, around 50 - 60 mph the car boggs down. I have to give it heavy throttle for it to downshift. It feels like it goes into 6th gear and takes a long time and a lot of throttle for it to down shift.

Much better all around though. I can deal with this issue much easier. Hopefully it is still learning the clutches and will get better.

Has anyone else with the update noticed this behavior?

#140 ·
I'll get back to you next week when I have my highway commute to school again. I didn't seem to notice any hesitation overtaking a truck on 2-lane road, from 50-70 pretty quickly to overtake, but I wasn't much paying attention to how responsive it was, I just mashed the pedal.

I'll pay attention when I hit the onramp next week and offer my opinion.

#142 ·
Here's my story on this.

My car was built August 3. I had complained about the shudder a couple months ago asking to have TSB 11-9-5 applied. They tried but they couldn't do it. Something about not being able to get the update.

I was supposed to get a call when they COULD do it, but 2 months passed with nothing, and I saw this thread so thought I'd prod them for it again for 11-10-2.

Actually got it done this time.

So far the shudder is still there but at least it's weaker. It was pretty bad at times at low speeds and I haven't experienced quite that level again since the update. Also seems to hang onto 1st longer.

Overall it was a worthwhile update. Hoping that Ford figures out how to nix the shudder entirely some day, if that's even possible with this type of car.

#147 ·
Had mine done yesterday, along with the almost laughable need to replace the interior door-pull on the front passenger side (it was black, instead of the brushed-aluminum style like the other three).

Transmission is noticeably better. The tech reported that he indeed noticed the "RMP flare" in Sport Mode. That is now a thing of the past, thankfully. Acceleration is also much quicker. I noticed it the most when I backed out of my parking space at work. It really took off in reverse. I'll have to get used to that!

And about that door-pull. I found out the reason that this took so long was that they were sent the wrong part. They had to take one out of a new Focus and put it in mine. Oh well, at least they all match now.

#148 · (Edited)
July Build

I remember hearing of the first TSB back around September and about a week later took it in to get that done as well as the oil changed and the Sync update to 2.11. I mentioned the TSB to my service manager and he said he would look into it. When I picked it up he told me everything was done but couldn't find anything on the trans TSB (I'm guessing it was right after it was pulled).

Since then I've gotten very disappointed with the car. I've lived with the transmission issue but around town, in city conditions it is an absolute dog. I'm very aware about the mileage readout and try to control my foot against it. Doing this seems makes it sluggish as all heck. While I was in NC visiting friends in August I rented an SE (mine is a Ti hatch) and it performed a heck of a lot better than mine and was at least 3 mpg's higher.

The Sync update SUX! While before the only issue I had with that was that it froze twice. This update, which I paid $80.00 for, has killed it. It won't read my iPod content, can't see a health report selection at all and the screen will go bright to dim for no reason. There are other issues but I won't go on about those. I do love the car but it is just a disappointment. I'm praying that this TSB will make the darn thing perform in city conditions like it does on the highway. I also know that the next Sync update is scheduled for January which is supposed to help it. On that, I submitted a complaint last week regarding the 2.11 and wanted a link to the 2.10 to reinstall. The response was that the system could not be downgraded (its a Windows CE system, of course it can be downgraded, DON'T LIE TO ME).

I always had Fords up to 3 years ago when I got rid of a 2004 Taurus and bought a 2007 V6 Sebring. I love this car and after seeing the new 200 I tried to buy that but when the dealer only offered me $1,000 for a trade in I said forget that! Then I saw the new Focus and ran to buy it. I traded in my Sportrac and picked up the Ti on July 31. I've since put 8500 miles on it but a piece of me wishes I had bought the 200 anyway. Hopefully this TSB will make me forget about that and again put a smile on my face when driving it. Its much to good looking to perform this poorly. I roasted a 328 on the highway last month, it would be nice to see it do anything even close to that around town. [?|]

#151 ·
I remember hearing of the first TSB back around September and about a week later took it in to get that done as well as the oil changed and the Sync update to 2.11. I mentioned the TSB to my service manager and he said he would look into it. When I picked it up he told me everything was done but couldn't find anything on the trans TSB (I'm guessing it was right after it was pulled).

Since then I've gotten very disappointed with the car. I've lived with the transmission issue but around town, in city conditions it is an absolute dog. I'm very aware about the mileage readout and try to control my foot against it. Doing this seems makes it sluggish as all heck. While I was in NC visiting friends in August I rented an SE (mine is a Ti hatch) and it performed a heck of a lot better than mine and was at least 3 mpg's higher.

The Sync update SUX! While before the only issue I had with that was that it froze twice. This update, which I paid $80.00 for, has killed it. It won't read my iPod content, can't see a health report selection at all and the screen will go bright to dim for no reason. There are other issues but I won't go on about those. I do love the car but it is just a disappointment. I'm praying that this TSB will make the darn thing perform in city conditions like it does on the highway. I also know that the next Sync update is scheduled for January which is supposed to help it. On that, I submitted a complaint last week regarding the 2.11 and wanted a link to the 2.10 to reinstall. The response was that the system could not be downgraded (its a Windows CE system, of course it can be downgraded, DON'T LIE TO ME).

I always had Fords up to 3 years ago when I got rid of a 2004 Taurus and bought a 2007 V6 Sebring. I love this car and after seeing the new 200 I tried to buy that but when the dealer only offered me $1,000 for a trade in I said forget that! Then I saw the new Focus and ran to buy it. I traded in my Sportrac and picked up the Ti on July 31. I've since put 8500 miles on it but a piece of me wishes I had bought the 200 anyway. Hopefully this TSB will make me forget about that and again put a smile on my face when driving it. Its much to good looking to perform this poorly. I roasted a 328 on the highway last month, it would be nice to see it do anything even close to that around town. [?|]
lol @ your service dealer charging you for an update. You just got bamboozled.

#149 ·
1. you shouldn't have had to pay a dime for that MFT update. Get your money back.

2. I don't know if it matters but MFT is built upon Windows CE Auto, might have some different functionality.

3. use paragraphs and sentences, that's a lot to read that never ends and most people probably won't bother.

#152 ·
I purchased my 2012 Focus SE Sport last week. Had it for two days and it's back in the shop already. Car was built Sept 29th so falls outside of the build dates that folks are talking about here. I drove the car to work after picking it up at the dealer, then when I went to go home at night I started the car but couldn't select any gears. If I moved the shifter into anything other than park nothing would happen. There was no resistance between gears or clicking as one would normally experience, just smooth all the way back and forth. The display in the dash also showed nothing apart from when I put it in park.

As the engine began to warm up it started to work. I drove home and the next morning experienced the same thing, this was Saturday morning. At that time I thought it was temperature dependent, so I took it to the dealer and explained the situation. They had no clue, and asked me to bring it in on Monday. I took a drive of about 50 miles and when I left the restaurant to go home I got the same thing, only this time after I turned the engine off and back on it seemed to work but then the car got stuck in reverse, so I turned it off and was able to move the shifter back into park. Bad move. When I tried to restart the car it thought it was still in reverse although the shifter was in park, so now I couldn't start it. I had to get it towed back to the dealer some 54 miles away.

The dealer gave me a loaner Fusion until they figure out what is wrong with it. So, just a warning to others if it this ever happens to you, and I hope it doesn't. I can't believe this is a one off situation, it must be happening to other cars as well. We'll see what the dealer comes up with.

Colin

#153 ·
Update

Dealer just called to say there was a cable barely making connection at the transmission that looks like it was the cause of the problem. They are putting the car back together now. If it was making and breaking connection then I can see how it would give me the symptoms that I had. I'm relieved, because I hoped this wasn't going to be the start of an endless stream of transmission issues. I'll know more when I go to pick it up.

Colin

#154 ·
Looks like a one-off after all. Don't jump to conclusions unless you read about several reports of your symptoms before hand, good rule of thumb.

#155 ·
Excuse me? There are plenty of reports out there about transmission issues with this car, so it wasn't out with the bounds of possibility that it might be related in some way. I'm not knocking Ford. I work in an industry where first year products are frequently buggy and we have to deal with that and accept it.

I am a loyal Ford buyer and in the past year I have purchased a 5.0 Mustang and traded it for a Shelby GT500, then purchased the Focus. I'm not boasting, just illustrating that I like Ford products and am loyal to the brand. I hoped this wasn't another transmission issue for my sake and everyone else's. Someone has to be the first to report these things.

By the way I don't appreciate being lectured by you, whoever you are. I reported what I thought was a problem but wanted to wait until the dealer had had a chance to check it out. As it turned out it was a one off, and I was wrong to suggest it might be otherwise.

Colin

#156 ·
Last Wed got in my Focus and headed down the road. After about 100 feet from the house, the cars just popped out of gear (I have the DCT auto) and the Service Engine soon light came on. Put it in park, waited a few seconds, put it back in drive and away I went. To problem didn't re-occur but the Service Engine light did stay on. I called the dealer and got the car in for service (It was due for it's 90 day checkup anyways). Turns out it was a OBD II code of P286 - Which is "Clutch A too slow". They went ahead and did the TSB 11-10-02 reprogram of the PCM/TCM and so far so good. I've put about 75 miles on the car since the reprogram and it definitely shifts better and now acts more like a "normal" automatic transmission. (Even though it's really an automated manual transmission !!!) I'll post an update in a weeks or so and let everyone know how the car/tranny is performing.

#159 ·
csvt2060, I don't really understand why you feel the need to put gas on fire when the user himself recognized that he was wrong.
frederick184 said:
...As it turned out it was a one off, and I was wrong to suggest it might be otherwise.
And feta_mpg was suggesting to wait before jumping to conclusions. So, if you doubt the reasoning of feta_mpg, let me say I doubt even more yours. [smackbum]

#160 ·
Eye on the ball people. Some of us are more tolerant than others, big freakin' deal. I'm good with my car, in spite of a few minor quirks.

So, who's happier [loveff], or [?|] ...

#163 ·
Update tomorrow

Well, I made the reservation yesterday for an oil change and the TSB update. So as I found myself with the afternoon off today I thought I would take a chance, called my service department in the hopes of getting the update done today. Well let's just say it didn't go that well. First off is I had to explain this TSB to him (he wasn't aware of it). He asked me what the issues were that I was seeing and I described them to him (mostly that it performed like a dog during city driving). He then went on about winter fuel, my larger tires, etc. which only served to get me agitated. He said that he would go look for the TSB and call me back. I told him that I would come here and get the number for him.

He called me back and said that he couldn't find anything with regards to a TSB and my driveability concerns. I then gave him the TSB number and he said he found it and said it didn't apply to my car (which is a July build). Now fully frustrated, I told him (and I meant it) that the way the car drove and the milage it was getting, I am completely disatisfied with the car would be getting rid of it. For me, to get anything within reason for milage, I have to completely baby the thing to get it to 32 mpg's. If i drive it normally it will average 29 - 30. With 8700 miles on it already, the clear majority of my driving is highway. He then said that he would look into it more and call me back again.

When he called me back he said that he would do the update but as it wasn't a clear match to the TSB it wouldn't be a warranty issue. Not understanding what he was saying I asked him by doing the update, how much would it cost me and what would it do to my warranty having them do this? He said there was no cost and it wouldn't effect my warranty, it was only meant to say it wasn't a "lemon law" response, that it was in answer to my complaint - a customer satisfaction effort. I said I'm not looking to turn this into anything beyond getting the update done but how can it be that clearly at least 12 people on this group have had it done based off of these issues, that there's even a write up in USA Today about it where Mullaly acknowledges the issues and says there fixed and that he didn't even know about this? He then said he's never heard of it but will do the update to satisfy me.

Why is it that Ford can't communicate this down to their dealers?

I should have the car back sometime around early afternoon tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Joe

#164 ·
Well, I made the reservation yesterday for an oil change and the TSB update. So as I found myself with the afternoon off today I thought I would take a chance, called my service department in the hopes of getting the update done today. Well let's just say it didn't go that well. First off is I had to explain this TSB to him (he wasn't aware of it). He asked me what the issues were that I was seeing and I described them to him (mostly that it performed like a dog during city driving). He then went on about winter fuel, my larger tires, etc. which only served to get me agitated. He said that he would go look for the TSB and call me back. I told him that I would come here and get the number for him.

He called me back and said that he couldn't find anything with regards to a TSB and my driveability concerns. I then gave him the TSB number and he said he found it and said it didn't apply to my car (which is a July build). Now fully frustrated, I told him (and I meant it) that the way the car drove and the milage it was getting, I am completely disatisfied with the car would be getting rid of it. For me, to get anything within reason for milage, I have to completely baby the thing to get it to 32 mpg's. If i drive it normally it will average 29 - 30. With 8700 miles on it already, the clear majority of my driving is highway. He then said that he would look into it more and call me back again.

When he called me back he said that he would do the update but as it wasn't a clear match to the TSB it wouldn't be a warranty issue. Not understanding what he was saying I asked him by doing the update, how much would it cost me and what would it do to my warranty having them do this? He said there was no cost and it wouldn't effect my warranty, it was only meant to say it wasn't a "lemon law" response, that it was in answer to my complaint - a customer satisfaction effort. I said I'm not looking to turn this into anything beyond getting the update done but how can it be that clearly at least 12 people on this group have had it done based off of these issues, that there's even a write up in USA Today about it where Mullaly acknowledges the issues and says there fixed and that he didn't even know about this? He then said he's never heard of it but will do the update to satisfy me.

Why is it that Ford can't communicate this down to their dealers?

I should have the car back sometime around early afternoon tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Joe
You know I started laughing when reading that, With the issues I have had with Ford I know it is going to be surprising to hear this from me but that is not Ford it is the dealer. Ford makes TSB available in the computer and if the service writer or tech can't find it shame on them. When I took my car in for the same TSB they found it and applied it without question.

Montana

#166 ·
had 11-10-2 tsb applied last week. shudder at stop-n-go traffic is much much better, still there sometimes but slight and tolerable. much better overall. glad i got it done. drives like it's in Sport mode..which is fine with me.

reverse is another issue..it is very very aggressive and shaky..i know it is still "learning" so i'll be patient. i didn't have a problem with reverse before.

this is my second dealer and they gave me no flack to apply the tsb.

also, when told them of "crunching" noise in front end when slowing down they inspected and immediately said that i needed the strut bearings and coil springs replaced per another tsb. i'm waiting on parts now.
original dealer sux. said the front end sound was "the nature of the transmission" when it wasn't the transmission at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.