Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 a/c problem

209K views 340 replies 135 participants last post by  CTdb81 
#1 ·
Has any one had issues with their 2012 Focus in stop and go traffic with the a/c stops blowing cold air?When my Wife first got the car a/c would not work took it back and they said a fuse had dislodged and reinserted it no problems after that until this problem and of coarse Ford can not locate this issue has to become more of problem for them to locate this issue.

#246 ·
2012 AC Problems

I have my Focus for just over a year. I have had it to Two dealers about the AC not cooling and have received the same response ever time found no problem AC functioning as designed.

If this is the case why do I have to drive for 3 to 4 miles before cold air come out and that is running it on max AC and the blower on 4 to get enough air to be comfortable. If the temperature is above 80 degrees I can forget using the car because the it will never cool down. I take my other car and by the time I'm the end of the block the air car is comfortable and the AC can be turn to low fan for the reminder of any trip.

I have had the car is several times on the hottest days to have it checked with the same results. Yes it's blowing cold air out of the vent after several minutes of extremely hot air blowing yet it never cools the car off. If your in the back seat forget getting comfortable because the car will never cool back there. I can do the same test they do by sticking a thermometer in the vent and saying the air coming out is cold, it is but the car never cools off, for get taking a long trip on a hot day. Is there any help for this, I've been told Ford is aware of the problem so why don't they fix it!

#249 ·
I am the one who originally posted the problem with my 2012. 3 trips to the dealer no results..
Finally someone from ford who monitors this site got involved, turned me on to Ford Lincoln customer service and sent me to a different dealer.....Kept car for 2 days, and ended up changing out some parts...Because it was warranty, i did not get a list of what they did, but in talking to the tech, before the repair, he told me that it looked like the condenser and two valves that go into the firewall were defective...Bottom line is that since the repair..almost a year, i have no problems.... Look through the postings and see if you spot a response from a ford monitor, and send them a private email and see if they can help...Because of this, yes Ford knows there are cars out there with intermittent problems that are had to diagosis.....and should fix. Ultimate (not the best) soulution is to see if your state has a lemon law// In california,a problem that has been reported, and 2-3 services attempted qualify...but i think the good people who monitor this site might help. If you send me a private email, I can give you my vin number... A couple of others have asked for it, as it seems that with the vin, the dealership can look and see what was done to my car...

#251 ·
I have been talking to several folks like us....the last person stated that after a couple of trips to the dealer, the dealer finally replaced the control head...the controls inside the cabin of the car....seems that the vents were not opening/closing like they should. You have to remember that the air conditioner only has one temperature...its always cold.. The controls in the cabin only add or take away heat... there is no variable setting on the air conditioner itself.
I had a problem that was a little different, where I would have cold air, then it would just stop, put out a foul smell, then after a while kick in again.. After 2 dealers and 4 visits with the help of ford customer service (from this site) they replaced the condensor, and some valves.... if it helps here is my vin number...Im told the dealer can access my work order My vin number is Vin number 1FAHP3K23CL258228, and the Dealer was Frontier Ford in Santa Clara California.
I would appreciate if you get a resolution and what was done, so i can pass along to other folks that contact me off my original post. My personal email is denniscampoy@aol.cm

#253 · (Edited)
just got a call from my dealer to pick my car up. They've had my car since Tuesday morning. I'll write back with the details later, but apparently my problem was some sort of temperature gauge. My car was reading the wrong external temp or something...

Cross your fingers for me that everything's functional!

btw, I've had a '12 Toyota Corolla all week, and let me tell you I LOVE MY FOCUS!

although the corolla's ac is about 5x better than mine.

#254 ·
Taking my car out this afternoon to test, but my expectations aren't that high. Drove home with AC on full blast with an external temp of 70 degrees F. Air felt about as cold as when I brought it in. *sigh* tech didn't acknowledge that the air simply wasn't cold enough, rather that it only underperformed at high external temps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

#255 · (Edited)
so my a/c is exactly the same as it was before. The tech says the "A/C didn't throw up any codes." does that mean something's not broken? Couldn't the part simply be underperforming or defective?

What can I do at this point? I contacted the rep and reported my a/c was not improved, can/should I request another dealership? NTM this dealership talks and treats me like a pain in the bum.

I just want to be able to take my daughter somewherem and when we arrive she isn't soaked in sweat from sitting in the backseat... lol poor kid

#258 ·
...I contacted the rep and reported my a/c was not improved, can/should I request another dealership?...
Hi DaeHanL,

You are welcome to visit a different dealership to get a second opinion; just let your CSM know so they can update your information. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact me via PM.

Crystal

#257 ·
Max A/C mode on a manual HVAC system should not be automatically switching output to the floor.

#261 ·
help me out here guys. I picked my car up, and according to the tech, my internal duct temp was sometimes fifty degrees below ambient temp. (I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT) Let's say that really is the case, why is my cabin never cool? There is always a tiny bit of air blowing to my feet. (I know someone stated that it's normal, but there's also a small amount of air that blows down by my controls...weird.) I had a thermometer in my car the other day, it was 90 degrees F, and my cabin never got below 80... how is that possible if the air in my vents is apparently arctic cold? i feel like i'm taking crazy pills...

to me the obvious answer is, it's not that cold and this dealership is full of SHEIT.

#262 ·
Well, the floor air and air at the controls is normal. You can minimize the air at the controls by aiming the vents higher (up where you really don't want them... sigh...)

Mine seems to blow pretty cool air, but is only just sufficient at cooling the cabin. I attribute most of the problem to the unbelievable amount of heat that the dash absorbes in the sun and radiates into the cabin...

#267 ·
I checked my car (it has been a few months since I needed heavy A/C) and it looks like I got things mixed up. Sure enough, Max A/C has no impact on the vent direction. I guess what I found was that full panel vent was required for maximum cooling, and that directing it to the floor (in an attempt to get air into the back seat) was very ineffective. Sorry for the confusion.

#272 ·
my a/c still doesn't perform well, and I don't see a point in taking it to another dealership until next year b/c the temp around here won't be above 76 until next year. yay! I don't know why biggc, what was your issue? just poor performance/not cold enough air? now it's very cold?

#282 ·
Hey DaeHanL,

Are you still experiencing concerns? Let me know and we'll go from there.

My A/c is going pretty much the same thing. Only works like 50% of the time and when it does, it isnt as cold as it should. I took it in last month, service advisor at first couldnt "duplicate", then had mechanice test drive and determined a pressure switch was faulty and replaced. Went to pick it back up the next day and still same issue. I rented a car for 2 days (Chevy) while it was being worked on the A/c was ice cold. Wife's Honda A/c is ice cold. 2010 Focus I had was ice cold.
To clarify, you're still experiencing this concern, right?

Here's my bad experience with the AC:
2013 Focus with Manual AC, 8000KM
The AC button is always illuminated, no matter how hard I push it down, it's always illuminated. Same issue happen with the Air Recirculation button. Every time I move the knob to the number one (2,3,4), the AC and the A Recirculation button are illuminated, that means I can never get some fresh air into the cabin or just use some vent air (not AC cold air) what can I do?
TY for your inputs
Have you considered visiting your local Ford Dealer. In addition, you may contact Ford Motor Company S. A. de C. V. at 01-800-719-8466.

I too have problems in stop and go traffic with the a/c not blowing cold air. I bought this car used a month ago and it is wonderful shape otherwise. Seems practically brand new.
Have you been to the dealership for this, jp1741? Let me know and I'll check things out on my end.

Todd

#274 ·
same problem

My A/c is going pretty much the same thing. Only works like 50% of the time and when it does, it isnt as cold as it should. I took it in last month, service advisor at first couldnt "duplicate", then had mechanice test drive and determined a pressure switch was faulty and replaced. Went to pick it back up the next day and still same issue. I rented a car for 2 days (Chevy) while it was being worked on the A/c was ice cold. Wife's Honda A/c is ice cold. 2010 Focus I had was ice cold.

Can't see how they cant issue a TSB or recall when it is a recorring problem. Like poster above, I will take in once summer starts to roll around next year, as do not have the time to keep dropping off and getting rental over and over again.

#277 ·
Here's my bad experience with the AC:
2013 Focus with Manual AC, 8000KM
The AC button is always illuminated, no matter how hard I push it down, it's always illuminated. Same issue happen with the Air Recirculation button. Every time I move the knob to the number one (2,3,4), the AC and the A Recirculation button are illuminated, that means I can never get some fresh air into the cabin or just use some vent air (not AC cold air) what can I do?
TY for your inputs

#280 ·
Sounds to me like the system is geared for not dragging on the engine, so in the name of economy it sucks.
My a/c has always been awful too, I find that using sunshades on the windshield while parked helps a lot. It may not make the a/c stronger but it does reduce all the radiant heat coming off the dashboard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.