Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 a/c problem

209K views 340 replies 135 participants last post by  CTdb81 
#1 ·
Has any one had issues with their 2012 Focus in stop and go traffic with the a/c stops blowing cold air?When my Wife first got the car a/c would not work took it back and they said a fuse had dislodged and reinserted it no problems after that until this problem and of coarse Ford can not locate this issue has to become more of problem for them to locate this issue.

#2 ·
Hi IMACHU,

With this heat wave, I understand how uncomfortable that can be! Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will assist with your issue.

~Natasha

#3 ·
I bought a new 2012 Ford Focus and the AC went out before I could get home from the sale lost. Three weeks later and 3000 mile on a rental car I am going to pick it up this afternoon. The story goes that the oil in the refergeriant (SP) was never put in while on the assembly line (a malfunction in the assembly process). I understand it took out the compressor along with a couple of other components. I know atleast five other cars had the same problem when I took mine back. Good luck Focus owners.

#4 ·
Hi scott1,

I'm sure it was aggravating to have issues on your brand new Focus. I'm glad they were able to resolve it for you. In the future, please do not hesitate to let me know if I can help.

~Natasha

#5 ·
We took ours on a trip to Iowa and the temps were in the upper 90's with the sun shining and the A/C just couldn't keep up. We put in on recirc and the fan on 4 and we were sweating like crazy. Took it to a Ford dealer and told them we were from out of town and could they look at it with no appointment and we got right in. He checked the freon level and it was fine. he also took it for a test drive and agreed the A/C sucked but didn't know what else to do. He said he could order a part and try that(forgot what part he wanted to try) But we didn't want to hold up our vacation waiting for a part. Seems to be ok if it's not over 90, wonder if it's just undersized for fuel economy???? We even had our windows tinted to help it out. Are others having this issue too?

#6 ·
Hi Jim in Mich,

Despite the heat, I hope you had a great vacation! I encourage you to schedule an appointment with your local dealer now that you're back home. They are best able to diagnose it and might be able to determine what part your other dealer was going to replace. Let me know if I can help in any way!

~Natasha

#7 ·
I have 355km on my brand new Focus SE and I love the car, but I used the air conditioning last night with a car full of people and all of us thought something was wrong immediately. I just gave away a 2000 Toyota Camry (250k/km) that had a smoother sounding original compressor.

Anyway, does someone else get an extremely loud ticking or a shutter sound like playing cards in bicycle spokes? I'm not sure I should wait until my first 5000km oil change to tell the dealer

Advice/Input anyone?

#11 ·
Anyway, does someone else get an extremely loud ticking or a shutter sound like playing cards in bicycle spokes? I'm not sure I should wait until my first 5000km oil change to tell the dealer
Hi SEZino,

I haven't heard that sound since I was a kid! Since you are concerned about your A/C noise, I recommend bringing it to the dealer for diagnosis. If they are unable to determine the cause of your noise, please contact Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre at 1.800.565.3673.

I have had similar issues with mine and it is in the dealership right now. They said they cannot find a problem.
I did notice the other day when it was about 55* out and I shut off the A/C and just used outside air that it seemed pretty warm, maybe the cold/hot air mixer lets warm air in even if the control is set to full cold.
Hi sbceleste and Jim in Mich,

As both of you have been to the dealer with no resolution, please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will assist with getting you both back to driving cool and comfortable!

Mine has been doing the exact same thing all summer. Here is the scenario I sent to Ford without a response or fix:
Hey csvt2060,

I'm recovering from the avalanche of Labor Day PMs and making my way through them all, and I noticed one from you. [:)] I'll reply within the next few hours.

Have a good afternoon, everyone!

~Natasha

#8 ·
2012 A/C blows warm air

I have had similar issues with mine and it is in the dealership right now. They said they cannot find a problem. it is an intermittant problem and fortunately, it acted up when I took it in this morning. Seems like it happens at long stop lights or in parking lots if I sit for more than a minute. Most of the time I can sit in a parking lot with it running and it will be ice cold in there for as long as I want. But lately, sometimes it seems like someone turned off the A/C button and it starts to feel like a sauna in there. I have noticed it more now that the temps are in the 80's and humid. It worked great the 1st few months when it was in the high 90's every day, never had a problem. Anyway, the dealer saw it happen this morning but now they cannot get it to repeat the problem so they cannot fix. They said no one else has complained about it but I can't believe that.

#9 ·
I have had similar issues with mine and it is in the dealership right now. They said they cannot find a problem. it is an intermittant problem and fortunately, it acted up when I took it in this morning. Seems like it happens at long stop lights or in parking lots if I sit for more than a minute. Most of the time I can sit in a parking lot with it running and it will be ice cold in there for as long as I want. But lately, sometimes it seems like someone turned off the A/C button and it starts to feel like a sauna in there. I have noticed it more now that the temps are in the 80's and humid. It worked great the 1st few months when it was in the high 90's every day, never had a problem. Anyway, the dealer saw it happen this morning but now they cannot get it to repeat the problem so they cannot fix. They said no one else has complained about it but I can't believe that.
Mine has been doing the exact same thing all summer. Here is the scenario I sent to Ford without a response or fix:

Driving an hour this morning in 81 degrees and humid. ATC set on 70 degrees. A/C works until I start slowing down and stopped at red lights. Also, sometimes when driving highway speeds and there isn't much demand on the system. System starts putting out humid air as usual for minutes at a time, then goes back to normal. The condenser has to be freezing up or something.

#10 ·
I have about another 800 miles to put on till I get 5000 mi and bring it in for the first oil change. Hope they can find something but I have my doubts. I did notice the other day when it was about 55* out and I shut off the A/C and just used outside air that it seemed pretty warm, maybe the cold/hot air mixer lets warm air in even if the control is set to full cold. Sure hope they can fix it, it will be the 2nd time it's been in for it.

#12 ·
2012 Focus Air Conditioner Problem

I just turned 1000 miles, and air conditioner is acting up too. Seems at idle, or slow speeds, air conditioner blows hot air, and a foul smell comes from vents...smells like a cross between "hot radiator" and a chemical smell. Turning it on and off, going to max setting sometimes will clear it. so it does not seem to be a "fuse" problem as some dealers are telling folks. With the number of people complaining, I dont buy the dealer saying no one else has complained. I call dealership, to ask, and when I told them it was an intermittent problem, they simply told me to wait till it goes out. The dealership is like 30miles from my home, and would like someone to look at it while I wait for it...you know..like a real appointment..

#15 ·
I just turned 1000 miles, and air conditioner is acting up too. Seems at idle, or slow speeds, air conditioner blows hot air, and a foul smell comes from vents...smells like a cross between "hot radiator" and a chemical smell... The dealership is like 30miles from my home, and would like someone to look at it while I wait for it...you know..like a real appointment..
thanks for sharing....I was hoping that one of the Ford Monitors would get to me to advise...
I have found when I am sitting at a light and it gets warmer and warmer I can click the A/C back on by putting it in neutral or park and revving up the motor...I could not see a THING and with the defrost all the way up it was doing no good because of this compressor problem...
Hey dcamfam & sbceleste,

Here I am! I'll be happy to escalate the concern to the Customer Service Manager in your area. Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, as well as your personal and dealer contact info to begin the process.

Thanks,

Noemi

#13 ·
A/C problem

I have found when I am sitting at a light and it gets warmer and warmer I can click the A/C back on by putting it in neutral or park and revving up the motor. I discovered this while sitting in the rain and the windows were getting more and more fogged up. When the long light I was at finally turned green, I could not see a THING and with the defrost all the way up it was doing no good because of this compressor problem. Luckily I found this trick but this really needs to be resolved as it is a safety issue as well.

#14 ·
thanks for sharing....I was hoping that one of the Ford Monitors would get to me to advise...but so far no response. Was out today, and same think happened. I purchased Ford because Its an American Company, and had heard they were responsive to problems...but to have the dealer say "If its intermittent, cant help you till it fails" is not what I was expecting...

#20 ·
Well Im impressed....I just sent you my information, and hope to hear back soon. Makes me glad I made a good decision to Buy Ford...Buy American
NOEMI: confirm you received my information....if not what email address do i use. Never heard back[???:)]
Nomei, I have heard nothing back from you..Did you get my information you asked for regarding my 2012 focus with the ac problem? can anyone confirm how to email Nomei directly?
Hi dcamfam,

I checked my PM; have not received a PM from you. If you like, resend it according to whynothinkwhynot instructions.

...I don't know how you emailed her. Usually she sends messages through the private message system on this forum. I don't know what her hours are except that she's not here on the weekend...
Morning whynotthinkwhynot,

Thanks for providing the directions to our fellow poster. I appreciate your help!

Take care,

Noemi

#19 ·
^^ Not a good idea to put your email out here on a message forum unless you want teenagers with nothing better to do than fill your box with pictures of penises. I don't know how you emailed her. Usually she sends messages through the private message system on this forum. I don't know what her hours are except that she's not here on the weekend.

If you're not familiar with how the PM system works, here's the easiest way to use it: Go back up to her last post, and click on her screen name- Ford Customer Service on the left hand side. A menu will drop down, and the 3rd selection is "Send a private message to Ford Customer Service". Click on that, and you'll be taken to the message screen. You can access your message by clicking "User CP" in the dark blue banner above where the forum name is- in this case Ford Focus Technical Chat. That will show you if you have any new messages, and over about middle way down there is a private message link box with "List New Messages" in it so you can find your old messages if you have no new ones.

For more help, ask in the Feedback, Requests, and Help center at the bottom of the forum list. Thanks for posting!

#23 ·
Hello Guys,

We are also having issues with out A/C, and have since we drove it off the lot. At first we just thought the car had finicky controls. Its been winter here and we have not used the A/C for cooling much. We did how ever notice that even when it was cold outside, and the A/C was off, the system would blow warm air when turned as low as possible without being turned to max. We decided it had to go in after last weekend. We were on the road, driving in 70 degree weather, a/c on full with blower at full speed. The car was uncomfortably hot. We ended up rolling down the windows to cool down! I hate to think of how its going to be this summer.

The car is in for service, and they have had the car for two days now trying to figure out what we are talking about. It's extremely frustrating. When we first took the car in, the Rep we spoke to was helpful and easily recreated the issue, but after it got into the garage, the techs are fighting us.

Hopefully we will have the car fixed this afternoon. We'll keep you posted. I'm hoping if it does get fixed I can let you all know exactly what was done. Might save you time in the future.

#27 ·
...We are also having issues with out A/C, and have since we drove it off the lot. At first we just thought the car had finicky controls. Its been winter here and we have not used the A/C for cooling much. We did how ever notice that even when it was cold outside, and the A/C was off, the system would blow warm air when turned as low as possible without being turned to max. We decided it had to go in after last weekend. ...
The car is in for service, and they have had the car for two days now trying to figure out what we are talking about...
Hi mcbeenb,

In the event the Focus is still at the dealership, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN. I’ll escalate the concern to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Well, with the help of Noemi to escalate the problem, and Wendy a customer service Manager, I was set up with an appointment with a local Ford Dealer that knew in advance of the problem with my air conditioner putting out warm air, and a humid smell, on and off.
... My thanks to Noemi, Wendy, and Capitol Ford in San Jose California for their attention, and restoring my faith in Ford.
If your reading this Noemi, please send me a PM so I can thank you properly...
Hello dcamfam,

Thank you for the feedback. Comments like yours delight us; I’ll make sure to relay the praise to Wendy and Capitol Ford.

If assistance is needed in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Take care and enjoy your Focus!

Noemi

#24 ·
AC Problem

Finally took my 5 door focus into the shop this morning...of course, the problem would not duplicate. mine is more intermittent....like others have posted, will be working fine, then start to blow hot humid, almost moist air, with a terrible smell similar to overheating radiator/coolant, although temperature gauge is normal...Turning on and off several times will sometimes kick it back on.
Anyway, the problem has been escalated prior to me going to the dealer due to the great monitoring of this site by Ford Folks, but we will see. I hope that by being escalated, the shop will take their time looking for the problem. By the comments of the Service Writer today, HE has never seen or heard of a problem with the AC, but given all the threads here, something is up.
When you complain about an INTERMITTENT problem, they look at you like your crazy.....honest I have better things to do that to have my car in the shop for 2 days or more. Im at the point, that if they can not fix the problem, I will be selling a car that I love with less than 4000 miles on it, as the smell has actually made my wife sick to her stomach. Thats going to be an expensive hit on this retired guys pension....
I too will keep you all informed as to what happens....

#25 ·
Well, with the help of Noemi to escalate the problem, and Wendy a customer service Manager, I was set up with an appointment with a local Ford Dealer that knew in advance of the problem with my air conditioner putting out warm air, and a humid smell, on and off.
Although the smell problem was not duplicated, an extensive check of the system was made, and the biggest problem was that the system was not fully charged with freon, or whatever the new stuff is. They kept the car overnight, did a dye test on the system and rechecked the the charge to make sure there were no leaks. I will keep you advised if there is any change, but for the first time since I owned the car (only 3500 miles) and running it all day yesterday in 90 degree weather, I had no problems, and actually had to turn the system down, because it cooled so well. My thanks to Noemi, Wendy, and Capitol Ford in San Jose California for their attention, and restoring my faith in Ford.
If your reading this Noemi, please send me a PM so I can thank you properly.
To those with problems, I endorse this site. Im an old senior citizen, not into twitter, facebook and the like, but stumbled upon this site by accident..I think Ford should let EVERYONE know about it when they purchase their car.

#28 ·
The first trip in was a failure, and they could not recreate the issue. They didn't honestly believe us. In exchange for our frustration, they offered to expedite us the next time the problem was happening, and we were in the area.

Just so happens that my wife was out this morning, having the exact same thing. She is over at the dealer on capital expressway in San Jose right now. Capital ford. It's a blue focus under the name mcbeen. Don't have the vin handy.

The good news is that they are seeing the problem, and think it might be a bad sensor. We'll see how it goes.

#30 ·
...The good news is that they are seeing the problem, and think it might be a bad sensor. We'll see how it goes.
They determined after tearing it all down, that the condenser was bad. Also, they found the air dampers were not set correctly, allowing hot air into the system from the heater even when the A/C was on.
We are dropping the car off again this afternoon to have all the repairs done, and should get it back tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Morning mcbeenb,

I’m glad to learn the dealer is making progress with the Focus. Continue working with them; I’m sure they’ll repair the AC. The option to escalate the concern to the Customer Service Manager is still available in the event further assistance is needed. In order to do so, please send me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.
Have a great weekend!

Noemi

#29 ·
They determined after tearing it all down, that the condenser was bad. Also, they found the air dampers were not set correctly, allowing hot air into the system from the heater even when the A/C was on.

When you take the car in for testing, it is critical that the car is fully warmed up. The problem is not as pronounced with a cold engine because the heater is cold as well.

We are dropping the car off again this afternoon to have all the repairs done, and should get it back tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes.

#31 ·
Fixed!

Great news guys. Our car is fixed. As it turned out, it was a combination of issues, but the primary problem was the sensors in the climate control system were not set/calibrated. This was causing lots of heat from the heater coil to spoil the system. On top of that, our condenser was defective, causing very poor cooling... if any.

So, in our case persistence paid. The main problem was that since the car was so new, there were a lot of areas the techs initially refused to look. They had a hard time believing the system could be so badly broken.

Yesterday when the wife picked me up I was amazed at the difference. The car was keeping cool easily on low fan speeds, and the temp control actually worked! Before the fix the temp dial was a psychopathic monster. A hair of a turn was the difference between uncomfortable and burnt. The temp dial now actually gives us a full range of temps! What a concept! This is definitely related to the calibration issue... and I hope it helps you guys track down your issue.

The A/C system does in fact work if its running right. So there's hope!

#35 ·
Great news guys. Our car is fixed...
Yesterday when the wife picked me up I was amazed at the difference. The car was keeping cool easily on low fan speeds, and the temp control actually worked!...
Hello again mcbeenb,

That’s great to know! If you ever need assistance in the future, don’t hesitate to shoot me a PM.

...Our 2012 Focus SE since the minute we drove it off the lot has had the weak air conditioning issues described here on this forum...
Hi HappyHarryNET,

Welcome to the forum! [wave]

I’ll be happy to arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager for your area. In order to do so, send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

Noemi

#32 ·
well that's good to hear :)

Also I don't know how I missed this awhile back but though it was technical, there wasnt really any advice I could give to let you fix it yourself so I believe this should go in the Third Generation section.

enjoy your AC, I removed mine from my car a month ago. It will be missed.

#34 ·
Hello Everyone!

So glad we checked to see if the 2012 Focus had a forum or if Googling found air conditioning problems with the new 2012 Focus autos; and there is!

Our 2012 Focus SE since the minute we drove it off the lot has had the weak air conditioning issues described here on this forum.

When our weather became 75 and 80 degrees, having the A/C set 100%, recycling air, even after 10 minutes of cool air, it does not cool you off! Our 2003 Focus' A/C kicks holy butt on this car. But now that we have read, we need to call Ford and schedule a warranty fix. I plan to PRINT OUT THIS FORUM to show proof there is a problem with new units and what they need to look for to correct OUR air conditing. We are within our bumper-to-bumper 36,000 mile warranty and we also purchased Ford's platinum 7 year warranty; glad we did now.

Problems:

+ air only cool at best on full blast; will not cool you off even when only 70F degrees outside

+ turning air thermostat to just below the start of the white area on dial, warm air begins to appear. THIS IS WRONG

We will report to Ford:

+ the condenser may be bad

+ the air dampers may not be set correctly, allowing hot air into the system from the heater even when the A/C was on

AND WE WILL FOCUS THEM ON THIS FACT:
whereas the car is new, there were a lot of areas the techs initially may refuse to look or troubleshoot; leading to customer disatisfaction and a non-repaired vehicle. Ford may have a hard time believing our A/C system could be so badly broken with only a few hundred miles on the vehicle.

WE will provide Ford this Ford Forum's reporting and will not let them bait us to accept anything less than ICE COLD AIR CONDITIONING!

CUSTOMER RESPONSE AFTER FIXING THIS PROBLEM:
Yesterday when the wife picked me up I was amazed at the difference. The car was keeping cool easily on low fan speeds, and the temp control actually worked! Before the fix the temp dial was a psychopathic monster. A hair of a turn was the difference between uncomfortable and burnt. The temp dial now actually gives us a full range of temps! What a concept! This is definitely related to the calibration issue... and I hope it helps you guys track down your issue. The A/C system does in fact work if its running right. So there's hope!

The above customer statement PROVES our air conditiong IS IN FACT not functioning properly and had I tested the A/C before taking delivery, I NEVER would have taken delivery of our car!

HHNET
2012 Kona Blue Focus SE

#38 ·
...As soon as the engine warms up I get warm air on any setting of the thermostat if AC is off. I have to go in for transmission problems (after only 2 weeks with the car!) so I'll ask them to check this as well *sigh*
Hi KukaaKatchou,

It’s a pleasure to meet you! [wave]

I’m glad your Focus will be visiting the local Ford dealer. A representative from the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center will also be happy to assist. Give them call at 1.800.565.3673 when you have a chance.

my 2012 is in the shop for a second time. 4000 miles... air conditioner is great, then stops blows hot or warm humid air and a weird smell....
Hello again dcamfam,

Thank you for your patience as the dealer repairs the issue.

Have you contacted the Customer Service Manager assigned to your case previously? Send me a PM with the request; I'll be happy to do so on your behalf.

Noemi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.