Steeda Custom Tuning Finally Available - Focus ST - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > ST EcoBoost Performance (2013)

ST EcoBoost Performance (2013) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
tj@steeda
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 93195
What I Drive: 2011 Red Steed Focus

FF Reputation: 2 tj@steeda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Steeda Custom Tuning Finally Available - Focus ST

Steeda Stage 1: Custom Tune. After lots of hard work and experimentation, we are finally ready to release our custom tuning for the Focus ST. We have solid gains to report with a very safe calibration. We experimented with a variety of paramater combinations including playing with cam timing, ignition timing, fuel, etc…..

As many of you probably know there is a lot of torque and throttle limiting going on with the stock calibration. However we found that in some cases in certain points in the powerband, having the throttle open all the way actually dropped measured load (and measured power on the dyno) vs the throttle being open all the way. So there were certain points in the powerband where letting the throttle close slightly was actually beneficial, something we would have never imagined unless we actually tested it.

Here is the dyno sheet with our results.

As you can see from the graphs we achieved torque gains everywhere in the powerband. Taking a look at the peak numbers, the torque peak numbers are the result of spikes from the initial hit, so I will break down the numbers so there is no confusion on them.

Starting with the peak torque shown of 318, ignore that because that is a spike from the initial boost hit. In this next sheet I have highlighted the run at 3100rpm, a point where measurements have now stabilized so you are getting true readings. As you can see we’ve gained over 52 ft/lbs of torque here and carry large torque gains through another 1,800rpm, torque stays above stock the entire run all the way through 7,000rpm.

On the next sheet we will talk about horsepower. With no spikes to worry about here we have clean numbers. Peak to Peak gains were just shy of 15 horsepower, but point to point gains are much higher. At 5,100 we see an 18+ horsepower gain, at the highlighted point at 5,700, we see over 27 horsepower. At other points lower in the band we have gains of over 25 horsepower. In fact the average gain between 4,000 and 6,000 is well over 20 horsepower.

I would like to point out also that even though we revved the car to 7,000 rpm for these pulls that is no where near where you will want to take it for best performance. Based on the powerband your best times are going to come by experimenting somewhere between 5,500 and 6,000 rpm for your max shift point for best ¼ mile E.T. and trap speed.

After this we installed our Steeda Cold Air Intake on the car with zero tuning changes to see what the cold air would gain alone on its own. We will be calling this our Stage 2 kit which will consist of the cold air and SCT custom tune. Here are the results:

The results this time slightly exceeded our already advertised gains for the cold air system which was pleasing. Peak gain was over 13 horsepower with point to point gains of as much as 17 to 18 horsepower. Peak torque numbers shown are spikes so I will break the actual numbers down again.

Highlighting the 4,000 rpm point we see a torque gain of over 14 ft/lbs. Torque gains started around 2,800rpm and carried all the way through, with an average gain of around 9 ft/lbs.

This sheet highlights the horsepower gain at 5,500rpm which is 16.5 horsepower. Again peak gains were over 13 horsepower, some points saw as much as 18 horsepower.

Here is the final sheet with the total gains for what we will be calling our Stage 2 package with our cold air and tuning.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...psefb0d998.jpg

Best Regards,

TJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
How is the clutch holding up? And for what numbers u guys think its good for?

Also, was the turbo maxed out at this point?

Last edited by FLYLOW; 03-18-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

....?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's a twin disc from the factory, It should be able to handle some decent numbers. I haven't heard of any having issues yet because of power levels, but then again there isn't really anyone on anything other than bolt ons right now. Hopefully Ford built it well enough to handle some abuse!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
It's a twin disc from the factory, It should be able to handle some decent numbers. I haven't heard of any having issues yet because of power levels, but then again there isn't really anyone on anything other than bolt ons right now. Hopefully Ford built it well enough to handle some abuse!
Twin disc or dual mass will snap even faster. Most oem clutches on normal cars start slipping after a 50 -100 wtq increase and after a few miles after heavy upgrades. And its at those levels right now. Its happened to me before, especially in my last car. I guess time will tell.

My other question was about the turbo. Is it maxed out at these numbers? Injectors? Fuel pump?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Most aftermatket clutches are twin discs.... what makes you say it will snap faster? The dual mass I can see going, but not a twin disc clutch.

Do you have an ST? There is a ton of info on them on the ST specific forums if you know how to sift through the BS. The Turbo is very near to maxed out with a tune and bolt ons only. There is one member running a bigger Turbo and he's still on stock fuel system with room to grow. His member name is knack on focusst.org if you wanna look up his build, its an interesting read.

Mazdaspeed forums has a ton of info too. The bottom end on these cars is made of powder forged materials, so while not being as strong as a regular forged part it should still be built to take some power. It will be interesting to see what happens when people start hitting high power levels with these things to see what goes first and requires upgrade.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Most aftermatket clutches are twin discs.... what makes you say it will snap faster? The dual mass I can see going, but not a twin disc clutch.

Do you have an ST? There is a ton of info on them on the ST specific forums if you know how to sift through the BS. The Turbo is very near to maxed out with a tune and bolt ons only. There is one member running a bigger Turbo and he's still on stock fuel system with room to grow. His member name is knack on focusst.org if you wanna look up his build, its an interesting read.

Mazdaspeed forums has a ton of info too. The bottom end on these cars is made of powder forged materials, so while not being as strong as a regular forged part it should still be built to take some power. It will be interesting to see what happens when people start hitting high power levels with these things to see what goes first and requires upgrade.
well, isnt the st a dual mass fw? i can see it going eventually with the bite the twin disc has on it.

I do not have an st but i am in the market for a new car and the st is like 7th in my mind

also if his name is kmac not knack then yes i have seen his p62/62 build thread. But it doenst have full details and/or dyno numbers...

still waiting on steeda to reply... maybe theyre busy?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

I seem to notice they don't get on here much lol.

Yes i've heard the ST is a dual mass, you're right about it going eventually I was just pointing out it won't be the clutch itself. Why is the ST 7th on your list? haha I love mine. I cross shopped other stuff in the same market and this was the most fun to me.

Kmac didn't post dyno numbers directly, but he did say he made 330 wheel on 16lbs and a fairly stock tune IE no timing in it.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
I seem to notice they don't get on here much lol.

Yes i've heard the ST is a dual mass, you're right about it going eventually I was just pointing out it won't be the clutch itself. Why is the ST 7th on your list? haha I love mine. I cross shopped other stuff in the same market and this was the most fun to me.

Kmac didn't post dyno numbers directly, but he did say he made 330 wheel on 16lbs and a fairly stock tune IE no timing in it.
cool, ill keep an eye on his thread.

the st is last in my list because i want another rwd coupe 1st, more than 300hp 2nd, bunch of after market support 3rd and so on. Car im thinking about now: genesis coupe (again), sti, evo, 370z, st and a few others so lets see what happens

I think the st has potential but i dont really love the tails, the factory power it comes with, it's wrong wheel drive its a 4 door saloon among other things
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Good point. I bought it mostly because my SE was wrecked, and I loved the SE. All I really want out of mine is to be a 12 second DD, then i'll pick up a project like I had originally planned to do.

Bookmarks & Social Networks