Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SYNC Update Available on Focus!!!

157K views 734 replies 111 participants last post by  oritpro 
#1 · (Edited)
SYNC MFT V3.2.2 Update Available on Focus!!!

I had nothing better to do this morning so I checked SMR. It's showing the update is available![headbang]

DA5T-14D544-AH Version Gen2 - V3.2.2

--------------Update 1---------------

The update took 37 minutes. Did a master reset and fuse pull prior to the install. Climate works fine. I'm having a rather odd issue - the system crashes every time I click "Rearview Camera Setting". A master reset and fuse pull didn't help. I'll just let the car sit overnight. If it doesn't fix itself, I'm taking it to the dealer [dunno]

--------------Update 2---------------

Took my car to the dealership yesterday and they couldn't re-flash the software after 6 tries. They were told by Ford that the update on SMR was corrupted. They finally fixed it by taking the MFT unit (APIM?) out and forced the update.

#402 ·
I will try to provide some insight into the issue, complete speculation.

A typical CAN communicates like this, values not exact:
<Module Address 8 bits>+<Control 8 bits>+<Payload/Data 32bits>

The control will be read/write, CRC values, etc.
The module address will be a number assigned to each part (APIM, BCM, etc) on the network, similar to a static IP.

The payload is then broken into two parts:
<Register Address 16bits>+<Data Value 16bits>

The register address is a number that indexes which values to read/write from. Some examples would be:
0x00 Module Version/Info
0x01 Module Status
0x10 HVAC Status
0x11 Driver Temp

These register addresses are defined by each module maker and typically change from vendor to vendor with exception being 0x00 for version. So what you may have is
0x00 = 1 (Version)
0x10 = (Hvac status)
0x11 = (Driver Temp)

or

0x00 = 2 (version
0x30 = (HVAC status)
0x40 = (Driver Temp)

so that the address for the HVAC changes between APIMs.

It's completely arbitrary after the version info. So what a programmer for MFT would do is something like this:
if (readData(Version) == 1)
HVAC_STATUS=0x10;
else if (readData(Version) == 2)
HVAC_STATUS=0x30;

to select between versions. Then whenever the climate control section is used, it just uses getData(HVAC_STATUS) and that maps into the right register.

So whenever BSQUARE is responsible for "system integration", they read the data specs for each APIM and determine what version maps with what register address for the HVAC, etc. It's my opinion that they omitted the versions that are specific to the Focus in their latest build.

What's actually more likely is that instead of programming modular code, they just statically define each address when they use it, ie getData(0x10) for hvac and then they have to compiled a different set of code for each car (bad practice).

What seems somewhat obvious to me is that the earlier versions of MFT did something like this:
1: Read some data from the CAN
2: Wait until the full data is received

Then there would be an error in communication and it would be stuck at step 2, waiting for data it would never receive, until the system was reset instead of detecting and correcting the error. This aligns with most sporadic behaviors in these systems. With poor hardware design, the communication system will have glitches from time to time and it's important to design error correction into the modules.

#405 ·
Just went to SMR and my MFT status was switched back to 3.0.2 and the upgrade is available again. I'm downloading now.

Also, just got an email from my dealer. Ford is telling them "to roll the software back to a previous version by using our diagnostic equipment."

hmmmm

#412 ·
I just logged into SMK and yeah. Confirmed. The update is back. The prior update that everyone installed that broke CC. I did notice they pulled it so this one has to be the newly updated release.

#406 ·
I've been running it for a few days and haven't had any issues. I have the iPhone 5 and it's working fine, bluetooth no issues, and a thumb drive with mp3s has been working as well. I have to say that I'd rather NOT have the temperature on the nav screen. I already have a temp display in the instrument cluster and it seems cluttered and redundant now.

#409 ·
Hey everyone!

The MyFord Touch 3.2.2 software, which was shown as being available this past weekend, has been removed from our website; there was a technical issue with the file. If you’ve downloaded this software onto a USB, but have yet to perform the update, do not install it in your vehicle. We're working on a resolution and will make an announcement when it's available on SyncMyRide.com, please stay tuned:

http://Boards.SyncCommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=fordsyncmb&listMode=0

Jaclyn

#410 ·
Posted 9/10 for the first round of the update for the other models by a mod at SMR:

There is a technical issue with the software update download file on SYNCMyRide.com, please do not install. We are working to resolve the issue.

I guess there are two approaches after something like that. The first is to take a lesson from it and not allow it to happen again. The other option I suppose is to learn nothing and do the exact same thing over again.

This is getting comical!

#413 ·
Just to clarify: I'll need to go to my dealership to get them to roll back my software before I can get the re-re-released V3.2.2 software?

#414 ·
If that turns out to be the case then that sucks. What a total downer if all of you that got the "messed up climate" syndrome from the first version can only get it taken care of at the dealer.

Anyone that already did the install and ended up with the climate problem try logging into SMR and seeing if anything shows up under updates now?

#423 ·
There wasn't a confirmation. On my SMR I had confirmed the install of v3.2.2 yesterday and all was showing current version was 3.2.2. About 30 minutes ago I went to SMR and it was reverted back to 3.0.2 and the download was available. I'm headed out now to see if it will re-load. I'll report back in a couple of hours.

#444 ·
So this time I got in while the download was available.

Now the question is whether it will be an improvement on v3.0.2 in any way besides temperature on the quad display and what all new it will break. Since installing it takes so much time to sit idling, re-pair phones, re-program radio presets, re-key WiFi, and on and on, it sure whould be nice to know what, if any, the payoff will be.

I had a loaner '12 BMW 535ix this week with iTouch. (My 135i had an "unfortunate incident" with a mammoth pothole.) It was so refreshing driving a car with a high-end infotainment system that actually worked correctly and consistently, every start, every function.

I'd sure love to know if anybody at Ford has a clue how bad MFT has been and how bad it makes them look.

#458 ·
---need help, there's something wrong with MFT, I keep installing these corrupted updates that Ford Motor Company releases and now my climate control doesn't work ! Ford refuses to answer my questions and concerns and after 4 or 5 days of prodding they finally re release a statement from 3 weeks ago that was meant for ANOTHER Vehicle....exceptional customer service

#462 ·
And, yes, iDrive has had its detractors. But in the week I had the car it ALWAYS came up on the same audio source/same station I turned it off on. MFT doesn't do that in three consecutive starts... It's position info or current audio source/program info never just stopped displaying for no apparent reason. And on and on I could go.

Hey, I bought the FoFo. I paid for MFT. But to defend it because other systems might be less than perfect, in the face of all the evidence that suggests MFT has been deeply flawed--in absolute terms and probably the worst of any OEM auto infotainment system yet produced--seems odd. Eepecially in this forum where removing a temperature indicator and shrinking album art were viewed as huge problems.

#463 ·
Well I downloaded and installed the latest update on SMR on my car and I have LOST CLIMATE!

So whatever they threw back up there is still the exact same update that broke other's climate!

#464 ·
So, was the problem only with the installer? I ask because I was one of the lucky ones who installed it and had no obvious problems. CC works well. I guess what I'm asking is that if it installed okay then are there any other latent problems I should be worried about?

I have to say that so far, so good.

#465 ·
My online account at syncmyride still shows that G2 3.0.2 is the only version available for my Focus.

Unless someone can tell me what I am missing?

#467 ·
I noticed that the ETA for when you have a destination set has been fixed with 3.2.2.

The update has been, overall, an improvement for me. I didn't lose the climate functionality and it *seems* more stable. It has only re-booted itself once since I updated last Sunday. Knock on wood.

#517 ·
I'd agree so far - my experience has been the same.

That said, there is still a completely unacceptable number of bugs/issues/non-working features on this version. Ford's had six months to address them since the last major release! [thumbd]

#473 ·
Ok, i installed 3.2.2 last Sunday and like a lot of people i lost cc functionality. Called sync support line and they told me to take it to the dealer. Like most of you i thought i was wasting my time but whatever they did worked because everything is working again. The tech was already gone when I picked the car up so I couldn't ask him what specifically the fix was, but I will stop by Monday to talk to him. I'll let everyone know as soon as I find out. Just wanted to let everyone know it may not be a waste of time to take it in.

#480 ·
Ford dealer got fix/update late Tuesday and it mentions checking the apim level. Appt on Monday to have it done. Will update with details.

BSquare 2nd qtr report shows thay are still involved until 2013 for MyTouch development. Below qoute from CEO on 2nd qtr report;

"Before I leave services, I would like to comment on the status of our work with Microsoft on the MyFord Touch system. We successfully renewed our contract with Microsoft through the end of 2012 and are currently discussing 2013 plans. We have positive indications that our work will continue next year, however no agreement has been reached as of today".

Not good. As a 25+ year developer I'm hoping they go to Microsoft automotive and completely recode. Have never seen software as buggy as this released to the public.

Worse yet is the lack of communications from Ford. Downloaded last Sunday and of course no climate control just power button. Also usb is not working correctly among other old bugs still existing.

Love the car - hate the MFT software and Ford's handling of the situation.

#481 ·
Does this update affect those without the dual-climate control or MFT? I have the single-climate dial system, and just Sync (no MFT).

Is the 3.2.2 update safe for my setup? Sync hasn't been updated for about 6 months now, and I was just looking to keep it updated.

#482 ·
I have the sync with myFord system and no there is currently no update announced or available for it. All this talk of sync updates is really a discussion of MFT updates.

My car does have dual zone automatic climate controls however vs the single zone manual ones, as it is an SEL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.