Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Anyone upgraded their Sony 10-speaker stereo?

34K views 69 replies 40 participants last post by  84Camaro_L69 
#1 ·
Maybe it's my aging ears, but I just feel that the stereo could be much better. In my younger days, I would always replace the ENTIRE stereo system, wiring and all... and could get a great sounding stereo. To me, the Sony setup only sounds above average... Any else out there upgraded their Sony 10-speaker stereo? Anyone gutted everything but the head unit (MFT)? Is that even possible?

#2 ·
I didn't get mine yet, but I'm hoping that I'll be content with the Sony speakers. I quit doing amps and wiring replacement 10 years ago, but usually replaced the factory head and speakers. The only reason I got the 10 speaker was to avoid having to replace factory parts at all. It might be my age, but I find myself enjoying the drive in silence 90% of the time anyway.

#3 ·
I love the Sony sound system. After playing with the settings and adjusting the equalizer on my iPhone I'm bumpin pretty good and it doesn't sound shitty. Sound real clear.

My last car had all new speakers and 2 12" subs n such and was far louder but I didn't want to put the subs in my new car. Plus they took up a lot of trunk space. Not that I use the trunk for much anyway other than to carry a case of beer or bottle o' rum.

#8 ·
[???:)][:0][confused][eek]

There HAS to be something wrong with your stereo. If I turn my volume up to where the little volume display is about a quarter of the way "full", my ears start bleeding.

I do think the volume needs more detents, since it kind of goes from too quiet, to a bit loud, to "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!"

But anyway... for the OP: I'd play with the settings a bit. It took me a while to get the system sounding good (didn't like it at all at first), but after almost five months of ownership, I'm still impressed with how good the stock system sounds.

#5 ·
I love mine - no complaints here.

Maybe some super audiophiles won't love it, but I certainly am happy with it. Beats the heck out of anything in any car I've owned before.

Only complaint is that I wish there was more granularity with the volume control - but that's a MFT/programming issue, not an audio hardware issue.

#6 ·
I did not expect much from a system on a $22k car, but I do feel like they could have done better with the sound quality. It sounds to me like they don't have the speakers aimed at the right positions. The sub can be quite a surprise, though, when given the right song with some deep bass.

Coming from a 2001 Audi S4 with Bose system, so there was a lot more mids there.. "no highs, no lows.. must be Bose" ;) I feel like the Focus could use a bit more oomph in the mid-range, even when I adjust it, feels kind of lacking.

Am I going to replace it or modify? Nah. =/ I am more concerned with the subpar antenna that came equipped. THAT I will likely replace.

#7 ·
After years of replacing decks, speakers and adding subs to previous cars with dubious, albeit loud, results I have finally laid that nonsense to rest.

The Sony 10-speaker setup that came with my SEL sounds amazing to me; much better than anything that I could piece together. In fact, it sounds better than my girls' stereo in her R32 and easily outclasses my co-worker's A-4.

It's crisp, clear and loud enough for me. Plus the proprietary design of the stereo/dash in most new cars these days does not make modification easy, nor necessary IMO.

#9 ·
I did by making it a 9 speaker system. I jettisoned the harsh sounding, image ruining center channel speaker.
It wont transform it but it will improve it if you have an appreciation for a 2D stereo image.
After 30 years of gutting every factory system and replacing it with a custom system in every new car I have purchased, I have given up trying to create an enjoyable listening environment in a car. It aint worth the money.

#10 ·
After 30 years of gutting every factory system and replacing it with a custom system in every new car I have purchased, I have given up trying to create an enjoyable listening environment in a car. It aint worth the money.
Not 30 years here, but ditto on the rest. It's pretty much burning money, unless you can justify the cost with your enjoyment of it over the life of ownership.

With exception of an equalizer and ironically, a Sony amp from the early 90's, none of my equipment ever jumped cars either. The eq and amp lived in 4 cars.

#18 ·
+ 1 . I too think this is by far the best sound system in a car I had the pleasure to listen to. Being affected by tinnitus, I now tend to be carefull about my ears, but hey, I knock myself out once in a while with some Rammstein :)

But back on topic...no upgrade for me in the future.

#14 ·
Currently upgrading my Sony 10 speaker
Currently:
Audison bit one processor ( keeps stock mft but way better then any after market head unit)
Audison SR4 amp
Focal ps 165 mid/tweets in the front

That all iv done for now and its 4 times louder than stock and a wider range of sound, well worth the money in my opinion . I plan on compeating my car in a sound quality competition next month with the current set up after a bit more tuning is done with the bit one.

#16 ·
I had it installed so I didn't see behind the head unit. As for the processor it was going to be the lower end bit ten but it wasn't able to connect to some part of the factory gear so I bumped up to the bit one. and its located under the front passenger seat , as for the vent there it was moved upward so that it would still work and wouldn't blow directly on the processor. As for all the wiring its running low down on the passenger side I believe

#20 ·
Full volume is ridiculous. When my car did the crazy booming sound that MFT sometimes does (Full volume, all bass) people in the house came outside to see what the loud noise was. If you can drive around like that you should either see an audiologist because you're going deaf or Ford because your system is broken.

#22 ·
I know this thread is kind of old, but I had to chime in as one that doesn't think the Sony system is loud enough. It may be my ears, but I have no problem getting pleasing sound from other stereos. It seems like once you get past about 75% on the volume, it doesn't get any louder. It just runs out of oomph. Also, when listening at "high" volume, the sound seems to - drop? I can't adequately describe it, but it feels like the sound bounces or drops a bit from note to note. Does anyone else hear the same thing?

#23 ·
I honestly can't take mine much past halfway without it hurting my ears. What source are you using where you get this to happen? Perhaps the source recording level is low. Or, maybe there is something wrong with your system/settings?

I have a live Metallica concert CD set on my iPod that is too loud even on less then 50% volume.

#32 ·
I used to be a rock drummer. I have also produced recordings. So I have some hearing loss. Still, I like my sound at concert level and I am more than satisfied with the Sony system in my Ti. Several posters have said they want more volume. "What?" What happens is that when you reach a certain Db threshold your auditory system tries to attenuate the 'noise' to protect your hearing and brain. This is why what initially is perceived as LOUD seems to get quieter after a period of time, sometimes only a few minutes. Another factor is the production quality of recordings. A recording that is well engineered and produced will have lots of presence and punch. You can boost this with the compressor built into the audio processor. As someone pointed, out using the EQ and boost in your iPhone can also have a big impact. There is an app for the iPhone called the Bongiovi DPS that can really tweak sound. Ford can really improve the audio if they were to add a better EQ to the system or, better still, audio processing software. The EQ they have can is OK if one knows how to use it. The problem is that a lot of recordings are poorly produced. So before you slag the Sony or any audio system try it with a well produced recording. Want to find out how loud your audio system really is? Leave your volume way up when you shut your engine off. Then start your Focus a few hours later. You will blow your eardrums. And if you want to beat your buddies to stone deafness keep cranking the volume.

#34 ·
I was going to make a separate thread, but I'll just ask here.

I get a major rattling noise from what sounds like my passenger side. Bass and everything at normal levels, and it happens almost every song.

Anyone have this problem?

#37 ·
Once you open the sun roof and windows all bets are off. It takes massive watts and audio sophistication to get good sound in an open environment because the sound waves disperse in every direction and for the most part just keep going. In a closed environment you get reflected sound. Audio engineers can design for closed environments because constraints are known that is until you start opening things to the exterior. Do you have a lot money? I mean a lot of money, because you're going to need it.

#39 ·
Words of wisdom regarding hearing loss. My hearing is a bit damaged from years of cranking the jams along with thousands upon thousands of hours working in rooms packed with noisy servers and networking equipment without using hearing protection all the time. Most won't listen to the advice because they're young and think they're invincible but one or two will and heed the warnings from others who have lost hearing and benefit. My Sony system is plenty loud by the way and my center speaker sounds pretty good. [cheers]

#40 ·
Hearing loss is at epidemic levels in society today. This especially true among the younger generation who grew up with personal players and smartphones. And when companies put limiters on volume idiots quickly found ways to defeat them. The problem is that as hearing loss sets in those so affected keep cranking up the volume. Sound systems in some cars are so loud I can hear them coming blocks away.

#45 ·
Does the center channel grill pop off from the top?

As an ex-audio industry guy (13 years in the stereo biz) I think the system is a little too bright in the midrange - so I'm hoping that disconnecting the center speaker might tone it down a little. Having a midrange speaker that close to angled glass tends to do screwy things to the sound anyway.

I really wish it had a better built-in eq. For a stock system, I still think its pretty impressive. It really just needs a little tweaking. Better quality tweeters might help.

#47 ·
Speaker placement is a challenge in any automobile because the audio engineer doesn't have a carte blanche on interior territory. There are limited choices for speaker placement. In the Sony system in the Focus tweeters face across the cockpit at dash level with mids down under the dash also facing across the cockpit. A lot of the sound waves that would normally be reflected in a better audio environment are absorbed except for the mid under the windshield. The hard live glass surface reflects and disperses mid frequency sound waves straight back at the occupants. This can make the system sound harsh and excessively bright. One way to suppress this is to shift the audio centre slightly behind the front seats.

I agree that the built-in eq is not very effective. You can make the system sound a lot better with either the eq built into the iPad or iPhone or through the use of an eq app. My favourite is EQu. It has a number of presets that allow the user to quickly compare a number of choices then fine tune the one they like by manipulating the eq curve with their finger.

Since eqs are digital it would not be hard for Ford to add an eq like EQu and 4 off centre audio imaging presets to help users figure out which direction to adjust the centre.

#48 ·
"WizardSkills said: After years of replacing decks, speakers and adding subs to previous cars with dubious, albeit loud, results I have finally laid that nonsense to rest........"

Yeah that is a very tiring routine. I have done that several times, then gotten rid of the car(s) two years later. Then comes the headache trade in time. Do you "uninstall" the extra stuff or leave it in the car and lose over $1000. I've done it both ways.

Who wants to remove door panels on an old car while trying to take delivery of a new one ?

I have the factory 6 speaker AM/FM/CD/SIRIUS/SYNC crap in mine > works fine.

#49 ·
Adding an amplifier and a sub is one thing because low frequencies are non directional. So sub placement is not a big deal. But getting really decent sound in a car interior takes a skilled audio engineer who is able to place speakers in the optimal location. This is why as far as I am concerned the best option is for Ford to either offer a high end option with Sony or partner with a company like Bose or B&O. This would mean trading up to a 2014 or 2015 Focus. But if Ford offers some of the options I wanted but couldn't get in my 2012 Ti I would trade up. Switching is easier than retrofitting a sound system into my present Focus then ripping it out when I trade or sell it.

#51 ·
I'm in the group that thinks this is a great system that is plenty loud. I played professionally for 10 years, sat(Hammond B-3, 122 RV Leslie and Mini-Moog, Fender Rhodes) in front of Marshall stacks, Orange, Fender, Sunn,,,etc...and I know loud. Went to a WHO concert and THEY were loud. The Sony gets plenty loud for me. How loud do you need it? I want CLEAN loud, not distorted and this system is fine.
I've been in the thousands of watts cars and it's not enjoyable. If you want loud because it pisses the neighbors off and you want to be the loudest on the beach, well, to me that's a waste of $ and infantile. Ever been in someones home that's a true audiophile? You know, the receiver is a few grand, the speakers are 10K...clean, pure audio...zero hiss...you hear the the drummers brushes and the faint squeak in the bass drum pedal...the pluck of a stand up bass or the harmonics of a Martin guitar...all at rather high volume, or low volume for that matter. Booming bass you hear 2 blocks away is idiotic to me...course..there's no dust in that car...it's all vibrated out the windows.
I like heavy metal...LOUD...but tone down the bass...that's not how it is live...if it were the manager would be talking to the bass player to tone it down. Booming bass sux.
My 2 cents...the Sony is fine for me and mine. Go try it out...can always make it louder with $$$...but for most of us, not necessary.

#52 ·
Well, tried disconnecting the center channel. I have mixed feelings about it.

In my opinion:

Pro: got rid of most of the echo-ey nasal sounding midrange I was hearing. This seems to be a byproduct of these frequencies bouncing off of the glass.

Con: seemed to hurt the soundstaging, moved the sound lower and more into the doors (to be expected). Tonal balance might have been slightly better with it connected.

So I'm split on it. As of now, I left it reconnected, and I'm going to continue to look for other solutions. Adding a resistor to reduce the center volume or attempting some type of passive equalization might work. We'll see, I'll report back if I find something that seems to help.

#53 ·
If you have an iPad or iPhone try an app called EQu (available on the app store). You can either use line in (RCA mini) or bluetooth to connect to MFT audio. Launch EQu and select a song (Mary Chapin Carpenter or Steely Dan are well produced). With the song playing try different presets. When you find the one you like you can fine tune the EQ curve with your fingers. A notch (narrow cut) in the mid range will tame the brightness of the center speaker. Close your eyes and enjoy. Sony never sounded so good!

#54 ·
Daytona, I'm with you on your findings, although for me I prefer it disconnected, but at the same time acknowledge what I've lost regarding center fill and stage height. I actually prefer the disconnected tonal balance. Wouldn't you consider a volume pot. for adjustability over a resister. Looking forward to your possible solutions.

Linchpin, Great idea. I assume this applies only to musical content within the ipad or iphone? I'm stuck on the sound quality from the cd player above all else even with the highest resolution storage; lossless at a minimum on my ipod. Will an upgrade to my storage device w/recommended apps approach cd quality? If so, sign me up, sure can't deny the convenience.

Between what your both offering we may be able to wait out the next generation DSP implemented players surely to come. [clap]

#55 · (Edited)
Linchpin, Great idea. I assume this applies only to musical content within the ipad or iphone? I'm stuck on the sound quality from the cd player above all else even with the highest resolution storage; lossless at a minimum on my ipod. Will an upgrade to my storage device w/recommended apps approach cd quality? If so, sign me up, sure can't deny the convenience.

Between what your both offering we may be able to wait out the next generation DSP implemented players surely to come. [clap]
Yes, only from the iPad or iPhone. Mp3s only have a tenth of the digital information as lossless CD quality 44.1-16 bit. Those who play mostly Mp3s on a good audio system usually think the system is crap. To paraphrase Bill "It's the mp3s stupid!" CD quality is what I load onto my iPad and iPhone. I think iTunes will play a higher bit rate than 16 bits. But I haven't got around to fiddling with it

I would really like to hang my iPad in front of MFT screen when playing music with EQu running and pretend (and pray) that the engineers at Ford can see and hear what a huge improvement this is. It is totally intuitive because when you select a preset you see the EQ curve displayed with the set points, ergo you can see what causes the sound. With EQu you can add up to 1000 points. You touch the curve and tweak it and the change is dramatic. You really can 'Have it your way". What is truly laughable is that the EQu app is a couple of bucks. Ford should buy the rights to the app. Are you taking this in Crystal?'

For those who really want more volume from their Sony here's a quick fix. Go to your iPad or iPhone song folder in iTunes on your Mac or PC and choose 'select all' then choose 'get info'. Go to options>volume and move the slider to 100%. Insert ear plugs, fasten seat belt and hit play. Roger Dearborn, we have liftoff.

"What did you say?"

#56 ·
I am mostly disappointed in the sound quality of the 10-speaker Sony speakers. The system sounds pretty good at the dealer, but in listening to a variety of music there is some really ragged dips and peaks in the response. The imaging is also really bad, a song like the Posies "Suddenly Mary" with its pulsing shimmering image that was quite enjoyable with the Focal speakers I installed in my previous Mazda 3, is almost completely flattened. I am going to try disconnecting the center channel to start with, but I think the door speakers are probably going to have to be replaced as well, and there needs to be some braces and acoustic mat added to the door panels to get rid of some annoying resonances in the doors.

I think I will just use some masking tape to cover the grille for the center speaker to do an easily removed experiment. If it sounds better, I will then disable it.

The problem is that the head unit will still be sending sound to the drivers as if there is a center channel so the equalization may be way off. I wish Microsoft / Ford would give us more control of the MyTouch system so we could change things like this.

#62 ·
I am mostly disappointed in the sound quality of the 10-speaker Sony speakers. The system sounds pretty good at the dealer, but in listening to a variety of music there is some really ragged dips and peaks in the response. The imaging is also really bad, a song like the Posies "Suddenly Mary" with its pulsing shimmering image that was quite enjoyable with the Focal speakers I installed in my previous Mazda 3, is almost completely flattened.
My 50-something ears are OK with the Sony system as is, but I had to quote this for the Posies. "Suddenly Mary" is one of the greatest pop songs ever written.

"Loving", she told me, "is a question of bravery"
But when she started to hold me, it was closer to slavery

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.