Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How To: Add Rear Head Rests

11K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  crazedfox 
#1 ·
Seat back all have provision for a rear head rests. Grab some black tubes from a junk yard yard seat. If they are trashed, pull up the covering. Push the tab and tap them up from the bottom. Seeing this on other seats will help understand how this works. (I got my tubes from a back seat, so some speculation on compatibility front to rear).

The rear seats have holes for three head rests. Pull the seat out with a torx driver. Unfasten the covering connector on the bottom edge, and loosen the side velcro. Put a thin screw driver up the front of the metal between the pad and metal. The first hole on the metal cross brace is 20 inches in, so the forearm will go in as well. The head rest post angle forward, so tilt the driver to find the upper hole. Push through cloth, cut out a hole, see image on how Ford does it. Repeat for other post. They are 12 cm apart on center.

From top, Push black tube in, it is keyed and I believe they are RL specifc. Push in until it clicks, may need to lightly tap. Test fit post.

The front head rests are spaced 15 mm, so they dont fit. I found a set from an unusal ZX3 with them. Maybe ones from a Windstar or Explorer rears will fit?

See less See more
#4 ·
I added 2008-10 head rests, though it was a hassle to some degree. I liked the looks of that model better. Just bought new pegs/tubes and those were more than they should be. Had to piece together 2 sets of headrest since only 2 of the 3 late model headrest fit, the third one had a wider spread on the post. The pegs didn't line up with the old holes in seat frame, so I had to dremel the correct grooves to fit the late model pegs.

Now I just need to get new covers to match my leather interior. The middle one is a different color, so I left it out for now.

#5 ·
I just did this on my '03 Wagon. Ford part numbers for the plastic tubes/guides:

1S4Z.54610B16.AA (RH)
2M5Z.54610B16.AAA (LH)

One each needed per headrest.

After taking the seat out and apart like originally decribed, I realized that it's more easily done inside the car without any dissasembly at all! The holes are already in the foam pad. Feel around and you can make a depression in the upholstery cover where the guide tube will go because the foam padding is already cut out. I inserted a straight pick into where I thought was center, then moved it around a bit to feel the seat frame and how close my estimate was. Out of 4 holes I made (didn't want a center headrest), I was only 1-3mm off center with each initial probe. Enlarge the upholstery oppening little by little until you can get the guides tubes to fit - press down to snap into place! Looks factory.

#7 · (Edited)
This is good to know. I really like the versatility and cargo room of a wagon, but I've been appalled at the lack of rear seat headrests on the 00-07 Focus Wagons. I need to be able to put my kids back there occasionally and not worry about being rear ended and having the kids get whiplash because there is no headrest.

I have not made a car purchase yet but I'm shopping and comparing, and this thread is making me think the Focus wagon could work for me if I can add headrests myself.

1) Are the 2000-2007 head rests all interchangeable from sedan to wagon? Or does the 2000-2004, require another headrest from an 2000-2004, and an 2005-2007 require headrests from 2005-2007?

2) Also - why would you need to order the Ford Factory plastic tubes listed above? Couldn't I re-use the plastic tubes/guides from the car I'm taking the head rests from? Or are they so difficult to remove they will likely break when removing them?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.