Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Cell phone mounts.. let's see what you got?!

177K views 213 replies 104 participants last post by  StLCards 
#1 ·
I have a Ram Mount system on my motorcycle..
And was thinking of doing something similar for the car (I use my iPhone as GPS).

Here is what the setup looks like on my moto:

Anyone have anything pictures/details of their car setup?
I'm looking for some creative ideas.
I am also looking to avoid the suction cup setup.

See less See more
#56 ·
Glassmaker, check out Pro-Clip! They'll have one made just for that car.

#61 ·
I bought the tetrax xway mount for $20. You place a magnet on the back of your phone and it attaches to the base that's on your car. I have the samsung note 2 with a case that has a stand so the magnet does not bug me.

http://imgur.com/d56Aqn7

http://imgur.com/4esiRzb

Tetrax sells the xway mount that attaches to your vent. They also sell a mount that uses 3m tape that you can stick anywhere.

My kit came with 4 magnets for different electronics.

#64 ·
I am another Kuda mount fan, you can't get anything nicer. Worth the extra money, fit great in every car I have had them in.

#65 ·
My Simple Custom Made Cell Phone Mount

Here is how I have my cell phone mounted.

0502131642-00 by jupiter_1222, on Flickr

I have a Mountek mount that used the CD player slot but I hated the way it blocked all my controls, so I decided to make my own using the holder from the mount.

IMAG0245small by jupiter_1222, on Flickr

I went down to Ace Hardware and grabbed a 0.99 cent piece of metal strapping.

IMAG0244small by jupiter_1222, on Flickr

I bent, cut, and colored the metal with a black marker. I then test fitted where I wanted it and marked it off with painters tape so I can place it back exactly where I wanted it.

IMAG0251small by jupiter_1222, on Flickr

I then took the controls for the radio off and then mounted the piece of metal using double sided tape.

IMAG0254small by jupiter_1222, on Flickr

The Mountex mount easily attaches to the small piece of metal like this. The strapping all ready had a little hole so I did not have to drill one for the screw to go through.

IMAG0252small by jupiter_1222, on Flickr

This is how the mount looks when the dash is put back together.

IMAG0255small by jupiter_1222, on Flickr

Reactions: Moulox
#66 ·
Anyone have the left side KUDA mount on their Mk3? This one:

http://www.kudausa.com/ford-focus-since-2012-black-a1667.html

Very poor picture on the website. The picture of the dashboard isn't even the same as my Focus. Similar, but definitely not a Mk3 Focus dashboard. I currently have the passenger side Proclip mount, but I don't like it as I have to take my eyes off the road to look over to the GPS. Plus the sun seems to hit the screen and wash it out.

#67 ·
Heres my ram mount setup posted in another thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4507579

I LOVE IT... cost about $50, but i know my phone isnt going anywhere, for any reason... Course, i've also hardwired a charger there as well so no cables hanging down...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

#69 ·
Ram mount mirror-mate on the rear view mirror stud with mirror on it, and ram X-grip cellphone holder...
EDIT: the second and third pics show the mount really clearly, and the first pic shows the mount in relation to the mirror.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

#70 ·
Some really nice solutions here. The Kuda looks the nicest by far, but I worry about using mounts that are too far outside of the normal FOV, making it more of a distraction.

#71 ·
I got inspired by Orion1222 and I used the info in http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259875.

What I did was to use the 2nd USB port to plug my phone and then put a metal plate on top of the center screen. the I got a cheap phone holder that attaches with a magnet (from a HDD), so that I can easily remove it.

I like this location for the phone, as it doesn't block the view and is easily reachable.

I used 2 screws and double sided tape to secure the bracket. The screws go to the hard plastic, and I made guide holes for them with a motortool.

Attachments

#72 ·
I have a RAM X-Grip and a flexible seat bolt mount in the mail currently. I'll be sure to post pics once I get it installed. Didn't really like any of the clip mounts or dash mounts I found. Went with the RAM system in order to make it at least somewhat modular if I change my mind in the future I just have to by another base not a whole new mounting system.

#73 ·
So, i have both of those, but never thought of combining them. The seat bolt mount is pretty darned stable, i use mine for a netbook and its got nary a wiggle, regardless of how spirited the driving gets. I hope you like it. :)

Sent from SGH-I747M Via Tapatalk 2, Care of CSIS ;-)

#74 ·
I bought this phone holster/ mount at an Auto Parts store for like $15. I took it apart, drilled some holes on the back under the rubber and drilled it into my dash. I can see the phone well through the wheel while driving for nav/music and doesn't get in the way when turning.

#75 ·
My iPod Solution

Couldn't quite afford to dodge the suction cup option this time around and don't like the vent clip option either. So...I searched and searched within the confines of the cramped quarters of the Focus and came up with this placement...which works for me. It's accessible and pretty much out of the way...which is a difficult outcome given the cramped Focus interior.

Forgive the dirty floor liners...I did this in the rain.

I simply placed the adhesive base in the location shown...removed the suction cup from the base of the holder because they don't hold well anyway, and super glued the holder to it. Adjust...hide the cables as much as possible...and that's it.

Not the greatest job...again it was raining...but maybe the idea will help someone else.

What I really want to do is to come up with a way to mount a GPS device into the headliner at the edge of the windshield. Any ideas?

Attachments

#76 ·
You could mount the GPS unit to the left of the instrument cluster on the dash. Just find a mount that you like and either drill it like I did or use 3M adhesive.

#78 ·
Put a new phone mount in the other day. I searched and searched and searched on here, but couldn't find one I liked. I wanted to make 100% certain it was NOT blocking my field of view out of the windshield, as that is a pet-peeve of mine. the second requirement was that if it "came loose" with the windows down it would stay IN the car, so pillar mounts and such were out. I liked the idea of it being near the shifter while cruising, so I ended up going with a seat bolt mount, and X-Clip from RAM. EXCELLENT setup, and is FAR FAR more stable than I predicted. So far I'm really enjoying it.

Mount in the car by itself:

Detail of seat bolt attachment:

Detail of the X-Clip, and top of post area:

Detail of "X-Clip" device:

I'll update my post when I get the pictures off my wifes camera that show the phone actually mounted....Forgot to get those last night....whoops!

#79 ·
Very nice. I like that solution! It seems that you get more for your money with this solution than with some of the others. It looks very sturdy.

#80 ·
I concur. Total cost was around $50 plus shipping.

The other benefit to this system is that you can mount ANY RAM accessory on that ball. So i can easily swap out the "X-Clip" for a tablet mount in the future. Rebend the support, and away I go. I'm also considering getting another, and mounting it in the backseat for Junior to hold a tablet with on long road trips.

#82 ·
Those look like the right parts. I bought from GPS City via Amazon. I was probably off on the $50 number. I accidentally bought two x-grips and was doing some mental math and how much the extra mount cost me for purchase and shipping.

I'll track down the part numbers I ordered and post em up shortly.

*edit*

OK, here they are:

RAM-B-316-1U - $40.86 (I paid $38.81 via Amazon)

RAM-HOL-UN10BU - $25.49 (I paid $24.98 via Amazon)

#84 ·
Just an FYI. Have a nice big set of pliers or channel locks handy to bend that rod. You can do it by hand but it is super tough. The instructions say to use tight radius bends as well, however I've not had a problem with the sweeping bends I made.

Had a passenger in the car for the first time since the mount went in last night. She was able to sit comfortably without the mount bothering her and was able to move the seat forward and back to accommodate some rear seat passengers withput any problem.

Have pics of the phone in the mount now as well. I'll try to get those up today.

#85 ·
i saw that somebody has the Pro Clip mount that goes on the driver's A-pillar. i had a Pro Clip in my MK1 for my GPS and i loved it.

i see they also have one for either side of the center stack - does anyone have one of these? been thinking of one for my phone so i can leave Trapster open or something (nav in the dash so i don't need a separate GPS anymore)

pro clip 854619

pro clip 854620

personally i think i'd opt for the left side one to keep the cord tidier (to the center console). i don't think i'd spring for the Pro Clip holster-type mount specifically for my (version of) iPhone though, want something more universal so i might screw an AMPS type mount to the Pro Clip mounting plate.

#86 ·
#87 · (Edited)
oh cool, thanks!

hrm i won't have the pro-clip phone holder though, if i can get a universal one where the top of the phone was flush with the top of the pro-clip i think i'd be okay. i've noticed these vents don't point down that far (and i usually have them pointing up so it gets to the kids in the backseat anyway).

food for thought, thanks for the great pics in the other thread!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.