Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Traction Control...HELP

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  nseah 
#1 ·
Hi guys.
Is there a way to disable the traction control on my 2013 Focus SE? We had a major snow storm today with wet heavy snow more than 1 foot deep. My car easily got stuck but might not have if the traction control did not kick in and retard the power to the wheels. Once stuck, I could not get moving. The car was just basically shut down from delivering any power to the wheels that may have allowed me to break free. I hope there is a solution.....this could be a deal breaker for me!!
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Dom

#4 ·
Hey Woody. You'll find traction control is less than adequate in this thing. I can barely get the car to move with TC engaged. Be safe out there. This storm's almost over.

#6 ·
The TCS doesn't seem to interfere with driving if I drive in manual mode and avoid excessive wheel spin in the snow, it catches a little if it spins, but it was much worse when left to its own devices in drive.

#7 ·
The TC with snow tires works extremely well. My car drives like it is on rails in this weather. I thought I was going to have an issue going up a steep hill, but the car handled it like a champ, no TC issues during the climb.

#8 ·
I'm still driving on the stock tires with 20,000 miles on them. Being a manual driver I can just let off the clutch without applying any acceleration and the engine runs at a perfect sped to help me get moving along.

#9 ·
I could have really used this option when I got stuck in the snow the other day. My Focus Ti came with Summer Only tires and it definitely does terrible in the snow. I am not sure how much better the all weather tires would do but I will look into them for next Winter.

I have seen this option before but I forgot to disable TCS in the heat of the moment. Luckily I made it out!

#10 ·
I also still have the stock tires (15,000 miles) but plan to get true winter tires next winter when the stock tires will be nearing replacement. The stock tires are not terrible but if the snow is deep enough or of just the right/wrong type the MK3 FF is a dog.

Maybe we should get some feedback on how the various winter tires handle the snow as I'd be in the market come next December.

So, I'll keep my stock rims (17's) and put winter tires on them next winter and then as the winter is coming to an end I'll likely order a new set of wheels (17's) with summer tires from Tirerack.

Brian

#14 ·
I'm using General winter tires, which i got at the ford dealership. Cost me 1200 with 16inch steel rims. They actually work a lot better then i thought. On my last car I had Michelin X-Ice but they were too expensive for me this time round. I would say the General's that I have now grip as well as the michelins, but the road noise is a little higher.

I live in canada and these tires got me through all the major snowstorms we've had this winter. I got stuck a few times last week (we had a major snow storm) but that was mainly because the snow was much higher then the car clearance. Id highly recommend them

#11 ·
Question - does traction control do anything?

I have some pretty big patches of ice in my alleyway and I'm pretty sure I could spin my tires all day on that ice. The traction control light flashes and I let off of the gas to get going - but I thought the point of traction control was to control the power and brakes to stop my wheels from spinning. Right?

I do have winter tires, but this is really just an issue when driving on a sheet of ice under both front tires while driving uphill. How long should it take before it kicks in?

EDIT: And I don't intend to salt my entire alley. lol

#12 ·
From what I have gathered the TCS simply stops your engine from revving up to higher RPMs. I got stuck in some ice/snow/slush and tried to give it some extra gas and upon doing so the RPMs didn't go any higher. I dont think this really helps a whole lot. I could be wrong but that is what I have experienced thus far.

Get out dat salt!

#13 ·
That might be the best solution, haha. The manual says it controls the brakes and cuts engine power (paraphrased, obviously).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.