2005 ZX4 CEL P0171 Code - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I believe that's a PS line, and the reason it has shielding on it is because it passes close to the exhaust. I'm not 100% on that, but a kink without a leak or a PS problem wouldn't be a big deal. I'll check sometime when it's not -9 outside. There might be some pics of it in my thread "How to Remove a Duratec Alternator from Above" If that's the hose you're referring to, then it's part of the Evaporative emissions system. I think that's the line that comes from the gas tank and goes to the purge valve. The other 2 lines that have silver metal surrounding them you can see in one of the pics going down the firewall. Those are the heater core lines, and the metal shielding is on there to protect it from exhaust heat. I'm assuming that the Evap line is not leaking or you'd have a code, and if the heater lines were leaking then you'd have coolant everywhere.

Neither would give you a lean code.

The PCV is located underneath the intake manifold between the intake and the engine block. It's very difficult to get to without removing the intake manifold. One guy did it with some long curved needle nose pliers. It's a very short hose, if it's damaged, then you'll need to replace it. It might be possible to loosen the intake manifold and gain some clearance, but I don't know. Mine hasn't been a problem so I'm not interested in trying to replace it until I have to replace the intake manifold to repair the tumble flaps.

You could try simply removing the MAF and cleaning it, replacing the fuel filter, and then unplug the negative battery terminal for 10 mins or so. That will clear the PCM. Then, start the engine without touching the accelerator. Allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes after the idle drops to 1k rpm. After the 5 mins are up, the idle will drop to 700 rpm as normal. Now you can shut it off, or drive, or whatever. Hopefully that will clear the code.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
MoonyJohn
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 132898
What I Drive: 2005, Red, ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 MoonyJohn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
I believe that's a PS line, and the reason it has shielding on it is because it passes close to the exhaust. I'm not 100% on that, but a kink without a leak or a PS problem wouldn't be a big deal. I'll check sometime when it's not -9 outside. There might be some pics of it in my thread "How to Remove a Duratec Alternator from Above" If that's the hose you're referring to, then it's part of the Evaporative emissions system. I think that's the line that comes from the gas tank and goes to the purge valve. The other 2 lines that have silver metal surrounding them you can see in one of the pics going down the firewall. Those are the heater core lines, and the metal shielding is on there to protect it from exhaust heat. I'm assuming that the Evap line is not leaking or you'd have a code, and if the heater lines were leaking then you'd have coolant everywhere.

Neither would give you a lean code.

The PCV is located underneath the intake manifold between the intake and the engine block. It's very difficult to get to without removing the intake manifold. One guy did it with some long curved needle nose pliers. It's a very short hose, if it's damaged, then you'll need to replace it. It might be possible to loosen the intake manifold and gain some clearance, but I don't know. Mine hasn't been a problem so I'm not interested in trying to replace it until I have to replace the intake manifold to repair the tumble flaps.

You could try simply removing the MAF and cleaning it, replacing the fuel filter, and then unplug the negative battery terminal for 10 mins or so. That will clear the PCM. Then, start the engine without touching the accelerator. Allow the engine to idle for 5 minutes after the idle drops to 1k rpm. After the 5 mins are up, the idle will drop to 700 rpm as normal. Now you can shut it off, or drive, or whatever. Hopefully that will clear the code.
Thank you for all the suggestions! We ended up taking it to a shop, and they said that the aftermarket air intake was making it stall cause it was drawing in too much air so the comuter told the car to shut off. Hes just replacing it with stock parts. Hopefully thats all thats wrong with it!

Airbag light though should be fixed as well though.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
Marde
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions! We ended up taking it to a shop, and they said that the aftermarket air intake was making it stall cause it was drawing in too much air so the comuter told the car to shut off. Hes just replacing it with stock parts. Hopefully thats all thats wrong with it!

Airbag light though should be fixed as well though.
I have little experience with Focus but I must comment on this. I really do NOT like the diagnosis and repair of re-installing the stock "lifetime" filter assembly. There are several people here who run away from that stock filter for many good reasons and have had good/great results (me included). That "repair" is expensive and (to me) not necessary. I wish you great luck on your repair and also hope that you can hold your shop accountable for the costs charged in the event that your car is not fixed. That shop might fix your problem using other methods (some suggested in this thread!!) and have unnecessarily re-installed your stock intake filter.

Cheers!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
sykozis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sykozis Good Standing Member
A proper aftermarket intake won't cause any issues. There are quite a few cheap "intake systems" that are problematic. If the packaging identifies it as a "universal" intake, it's just wrong.

I really hope they didn't imply that replacing the intake system would fix the airbag light....
Old 01-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #15
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Hard to guess on this one, since it was bought crashed with existing problems there's no history. It may never have run right after the intake was installed.

Good intakes are a no-problem replacement for the stock one, but there were some "E-bay" cheapos that didn't have the right diameter tubing for the MAF & would never work right.

Description from the shop was poor, could match a cheapo intake problem. Brand name off the intake would be the only way to tell.

S.R. #275
Old 01-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #16
lyonidas13
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109972
What I Drive: 2003 D23 SE

FF Reputation: 1 lyonidas13 Good Standing Member
Iv haven't heard of an aftermarket intake causing a po171 code(system too lean) but as stated if it is a crappy universal intake I guess its possible, but Im not a mechanic either. If its vacuum leak you may be able to hear a hissing sound coming from around the engine with the hood open and engine running. you may also hear it for a few seconds right after shut down.

Recently, my car threw the po171 code and along with a misfire. I found a chip out of my intake manifold where it comes into contact with the cylinder head. you could hear a hissing noise with the engine on and right after shut down. IDK how it happened.

If its the PCV hose the only way to really replace it is by removing the intake manifold. There is a nice write up in the "how to archive".

Good luck with the repair, hopefully it does end up being the aftermarket intake.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #17
Marde
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115991
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW PZEV 2.3 ATX

FF Reputation: 7 Marde Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
A proper aftermarket intake won't cause any issues. There are quite a few cheap "intake systems" that are problematic. If the packaging identifies it as a "universal" intake, it's just wrong.

I really hope they didn't imply that replacing the intake system would fix the airbag light....
I am sure there are poor quality "universal" intake filter assemblies with incorrect tube diameters and adapters then used on the Focus... but chances are low that the problems by the OP are caused by that. If really bad, the shop should/could have suggested that the OP replace it with something that breathes better. Oddly enuff, I used a replacement intake filter with "universal" in the title. My universal sounds n runs great!

K&N RC-9160 High Performance Universal Clamp-on Chrome Air Filter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@OP - ask the shop to give you your old intake filter assembly and all clamps/pipes/adapters and hoses too!

Cheers!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 PM   #18
sykozis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sykozis Good Standing Member
Some of the cheap, universal kits are assembled using multiple pieces. Those pieces don't seal together properly resulting in air getting sucked in after the MAF. The additional, unmetered air results in a P0171.

There are also the intakes that sailor mentioned where the diameter of the tubing where the MAF goes is too large.

@Marde - Application specific intakes typically work much better. I ran a Spectre "universal" intake for about a year. While it sounded good, my poor 05 ZX5 suffered from reduced power and reduced fuel economy. I also fought with a rough idle and random misfire. Back in September I replaced that "universal" kit with a proper K&N kit with that same filter you linked to. Since the change over my car idles very nicely and the random misfire has ceased. The car even runs better than it originally did. Have no idea as to the fuel economy at this point as I drive less than 50 miles a week. My average week is 20 miles round trip to work (a mile each direction), 2 miles round trip to the grocery store and 20 miles round trip to the other stores I frequent. After my own personal experience and seeing issues with the cheap, universal kits, it's my recommendation to either buy a proper K&N or other reputable (application specific) intake system or stick to stock. As for cost, I paid less for my K&N kit than the list price of the "lifetime" filter on the Focus....by almost half.

Bookmarks & Social Networks