Focus Fanatics Forum banner

anyone using premium gas ?

1M views 2K replies 423 participants last post by  paulrondelli 
#1 ·
yes or not worth it

#1,515 ·
I've been using 90 (Alaska premium) from chevron religiously for over two and a half years now. Each time I get brave and put 87 in to see what happens, its Noticeably different on the throttle response.
As for Gas milage.. no matter how you drive the focus, it gets great milage haha but in town average is around 25mpg driving hard. 35+ if I drive like I'm dead. Octane boost sups(certain) ones add a pep to it as well.

#1,516 ·
I've been testing this over the past couple of months and so far all I can notice is that the car seems to Idle much better using premium (Shell 93) over regular 87.

#1,517 ·
This topic has been hashed many times over in the 2011+ Mustang forums & I'll share my experiences here on this forum.... It all has to do with the Ti-VCT and how it advance's your timing until it sense's knock.
Save your money, use quailty top tier 87 fuel, not discount gas, but name brands like shell (what I use) mobile 1, phillips 66, Exxon etc...

I believe the ecoboost models require at least 91% octane for best performance...

#1,519 ·
I've only had my car since Aug 31 but my first two tanks were 87 and then I put 91 in and I will not look back. The car is noticeably happy with the extra octane, better fuel milage, better responsiveness, just better.

#1,520 ·
This... our cars absolutely use higher octane, it was even mentioned in the owners manual for 2012 but taken out to avoid complaints/confusion...The Mustang is probably different: since you are talking larger displacement and more horsepower not many care about 10 more horsepower when you are already making 310-420+

#1,522 ·
I don't know why people keep saying "use 87 octane, save money" - maybe I'd missed out on something, but the Ti-VCT engine definitely seems to offer better MPG and power with 91 or 93 octane. Which is contrary (to what I know) to what is normally said about using higher octane in engines that can't handle it (lower MPG, and knocking down the road...) So the 2012 Focus, regardless of edition, handles it with ease. The book mentions higher octane can help with performance, so for some it's definitely worth the money, even if the improvements are countered by the slightly higher cost.

Poor quality gas, regardless of octane, does hurt MPG and power. I won't do the one small town place ever again. Why is it small town stores seem to be more likely to dilute gasoline, even the higher octane and more expensive stuff?

#1,523 ·
I don't know why people keep saying "use 87 octane, save money" - maybe I'd missed out on something, but the Ti-VCT engine definitely seems to offer better MPG and power with 91 or 93 octane. Which is contrary (to what I know) to what is normally said abousing higher octane in engines that can't handle it (lower MPG, and knocking down the road...)ut So the 2012 Focus, regardless of edition, handles it with ease. The book mentions higher octane can help with performance, so for some it's definitely worth the money, even if the improvements are countered by the slightly higher cost.

Poor quality gas, regardless of octane, does hurt MPG and power. I won't do the one small town place ever again. Why is it small town stores seem to be more likely to dilute gasoline, even the higher octane and more expensive stuff?
There is a 40 cent a gallon difference here. Rudimentary math says it doesn't add up. Where is it said Higher octane in engines that can't handle it causes MPG lose and knocking down the road?

#1,524 ·
Computer love...

I'd love to pump 91-93 octane in my 13 but my wallet will not allow it. Besides, the computers in these units control the timing as to kill the pre ignition. I can see a definite difference using the higher stuff but will not pay inflated prices to the " one hose bandits". Biggest fleecing of American public ever.

#1,529 ·
I'd love to pump 91-93 octane in my 13 but my wallet will not allow it. Besides, the computers in these units control the timing as to kill the pre ignition. I can see a definite difference using the higher stuff but will not pay inflated prices to the " one hose bandits". Biggest fleecing of American public ever.
First you say that there's a noticeable difference with higher octane fuel, then say that it's "fleecing" to charge more for higher quality fuel.

I don't even...

Fuel companies get a higher profit margin from low-grade fuel than they do from high-grade fuel, because it costs quite a bit of time and energy to further refine that higher grade. The much higher volume of low-grade fuel sales funds that refining. You're digging the oil companies more when you buy high grade, and you're filling their pockets easier when you buy low grade.

No, I have no proof of this other than the general knowledge of supply/demand, volume sales vs specialty, and rudimentary knowledge of refining processes. So you can believe what you want.

#1,527 ·
Truth

On one of my new FF's, I kept getting engine trouble lights. I took the unit back to the Dealer three times only to be told they couldn't find anything wrong. I finally grabbed a service tech. and asked him what was going on with my car. He asked if I used prem. in my 02 SE? I answered yes. He told me to use 87 octane around town, when loaded heavy highway 89 octane. I used his suggestion and NEVER had a trouble light until years later for emissions. We think we are helping these beauties by running higher octane fuels but keep your money and buy a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner every oil change. The higher octane gas has higher levels of engine cleaners.

#1,528 ·
There's a huge difference in ECU control strategies between the Mk1 and Mk3 models. If we were in the Mk1 section I wouldn't recommend anything but 87 octane on a stock vehicle. Fast-forward 10 years worth of technology and what used to be true is no longer applicable.

#1,531 ·
Forty cents per gal.more for prem. just doesn't cut it for me. If you want to pay $6.00 more for a tank of prem., please go for it. But most cars run just fine on regular.
And again, if you don't have a Mk3 then you're just wasting your money on anything above 87 anyways.

#1,534 ·
Apples and Oranges here. You are talking boosted versus my 9.3 comp. stocker. I I were you, at 20 psi boosted, I might look at some FastGas.
But doesn't that go against your argument of fleecing the public? I run 23 psi and can do it on 87, though I choose not to. His boosted application is a closer comparison to the high-compression and direct-injection Mk3 than your 9.3:1 is.

#1,539 ·
Anything above 100 0ctane should run a 5-10# boost. As stated.... should run OK. 100-12-15. Higher the numbers, the slower combustion rate. Makes a ton of power when set up right. 100 oct. Aviation fuel in a pinch, but not everyday.
Great if your racing, but for a DDer, premium is good.

#1,542 ·
It has been said before by other people but the driveability between 87 and 91 (I live in CA) really is a huge difference in my MK3. I've ran 91 for the last two tanks and it's crazy how much better the car feels. No more drop in power when starting from a stop with A/C on, car has more linear power throughout the gears, 2MPG increase, and it feels there is more HP.

$4 to $5 more... No brainer there.

#1,544 ·
93 V-PoWA for the win!!! I use it exclusively anymore. I'm part of the shell rewards now too so I get .03 cents off every gallon. Not huge but it makes you think you're getting a deal.

#1,545 ·
I joined that shell rewards and there's no participating stations anywhere near where I live or work...what a crock...that's off topic though sorry

#1,546 ·
Premium every tank here. It's $.20 more a gallon where I live for the good stuff, so only a little over $2 per tank using premium vs low grade.

I also only use Chevron. My brother in law used to be a gas tank delivery driver. He says every truck for every company lines up to the same tank to get a load of gas, except Chevron, they have their own line.

I used to have a Mazda Protege (03) and I used cheap no name stations all the time. Engine blew at 60,000 miles. First question my mechanic asked was if I use cheap gas. Yup, excluvely lol. I put a JDM motor in and never used chap gas, got 70,000 miles on that motor (I had a 120 mile round trip daily commute) plus whatever was on it before I got it. Car is still driving around town. I see it all the time (I don't own it anymore).

Every station here in Cali has ethanol, which sucks. I'd love to run pure stuff.

#1,550 ·
Not to nit-pick, but the tank is only 12.4 gallons. That equates to only $3.72, and that's from a completely dry tank. Your point is the same, it's just a little more pointed that way.

Some people act like using premium is what will cause them to go broke, but don't ever actually do the math to see just how much money they're 'out' by using it-and that doesn't take into account possible fuel mileage gains that would drive the additional cost down even more.

#1,554 ·
Since you asked twice with no direct answer: Your car WILL run fine with regular but it does actually adjust to higher octane to give you a bit more power and mileage. The 2012 owners manual even says using premium fuel will provide more performance but was pulled after that presumably to avoid confusion and people worried that "have to" use premium... It also seems to help the engine run smoother when matched with a DCT, especially in hot weather. With the mileage our cars get and with it only being 20 cents a gallon more, I can afford $2 more for a fill-up and also get the additional benefits of more detergents in the premium as well and not have to use fuel system cleaner as often.

#1,552 ·
jrfender try it for two or three tanks and see what results you get. I personally won't go back to 87 though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.