Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2013 Focus Titanium Transmission Noise (Grinding) Dealer Handout

28K views 105 replies 38 participants last post by  Wckdsmrt 
#1 · (Edited)
This is what my Ford Dealer handed me this morning when I took my 2013 Focus Titanium with 582 miles on the odometer in for transmission grinding, lunging and etc, it's dated 9/27/2012 with no revisions. First thing that was said to me when I explained the issues "that is normal for that model car". Maybe I should have responded "I didn't get the memo"?

Just curious if anyone else received the same two pages or another variation?

I am still wondering why this came after the fact and not before the sale? Appears that Ford had plenty of time to revise their sales brochures and notify sales people of what they consider "Normal" operation. [scratch]

I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this break-in period and hope it improves because I love the car besides this annoyance/issue.

Dealer Handout Scan (note: there are two pages)

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/002452907-1.html#1

#3 ·
I know what you mean, I drove manuals for years from the 1960's era muscle cars up to present and I never experienced the "normal characteristics" claimed by Ford for the DCT.

The dealer service writer seemed well rehearsed or should I say very experienced on the issue, it's obvious there were plenty of others before me and the statements were spot on with what others across the country have said.

#4 ·
I got a similar document but it did not describe my particular issue of delayed shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I was told the same thing about the break in period but I am at 7k kms now and it's still acting the same. I got the same spiel from another dealer.

It's sad that people are getting the same scripted answers for different issues...
"Break in period" and "It's Normal"

#12 ·
I have 24,000 km on my 2012 Focus and it is still shifting roughly from standstill even on a rolling take off without my foot on the gas. Once it is moving past first or second gear it performs fine. Have I reached my breakin period yet or is it going to be like this till I or the car dies?

#5 ·
Mine does different things on a day to day basis, on my commute this morning, it was grinding for 15-20 seconds between 3rd and 4th then continued till it hit 5th gear. It's almost always making this noise on launch and between gear changes, but they are not clean as a manual would me. The only noise I heard from the manuals I drove was the linkage and that's it.

#6 ·
I have a 2012 Titanium with the DCT that works very well. Everything described in the memo is accurate on my car, and in no way affects the way it drives.

However, I have never had any grinding or shift hesitation. That is not normal in my experience with my car. From all the threads I have seen, grinding and hesitation is indicative of a leaking seal contaminating the clutches with transmission oil. Ford knows about this issue, and has a TSB, but I don't think they have informed the dealers. A few members here have had good results once the seal and clutches have been replaced.

If you look at the other threads some members have posted the work orders for the clutch replacement. I would recommend downloading one of those and take it to your dealer.

#7 ·
The service writer at my dealer claimed they have never replaced any DCT seals or clutches...whether or not that is the truth is unknown.

I mentioned this as a possible reason and I was immediatly told it is not the case and the break-in period has not been completed.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
The service writer at my dealer claimed they have never replaced any DCT seals or clutches...whether or not that is the truth is unknown.

I mentioned this as a possible reason and I was immediatly told it is not the case and the break-in period has not been completed.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using FF Mobile
Time for a new dealer. You can get service at any Ford dealer, doesn't matter where you bought the car.

#9 ·
Hi everyone!

If you're currently experiencing this concern, I want to do what I can to help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll look into options to assist.

Crystal

#10 ·
Still no improvements, it appears it's getting worse. Shift hesitation and grinding lasting longer than it should. I will give it till 1K mileage than I am taking it in again. Dealer told me if I bring it in again, I will get the same response. It's worrying me to the point of it being unsafe to drive, last night I attempted to make a turn ahead of oncoming traffic and the hesitation on launch was not responsive as it should be, I now am afraid to make that move again something of which where I live is very common.

I love the car besides this but the transmission is an integral part of the car to the point where I am now regretting buying it along with the dealer's corrective action plan. Regardless what they say, it does not behave like a manual, drive like a manual or even sound like one.

#14 ·
I'm at 49.5k miles and it still grinds and shudders. I can assure you that if you're still having issues after the "break-in" (let's give Ford the benefit of the doubt here and say 3k miles) then you probably have a bad part.

#15 ·
So you gave up on getting it corrected? Your still within the warranty. If mine is still doing this after a few years and Ford doesn't fix it, I will probably trade it in and lose plenty. I probably drive 12K miles per year roughly so 4 years, I'll be near your mileage but probably wont' get much on the trade with the DCT baggage.

#17 ·
Hi gang,

Give your dealerships a call if you feel that your vehicle may have any outstanding service actions (such as a TSB); they'll be able to quickly tell you if that's the case. Additionally, I can assist by getting your information into the hands of your regional customer service manager; send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name so I can get the ball rolling.

Crystal

#19 ·
I feel your pain, mine is still grinding really bad and shifting poorly. It's going back in around 300 miles, I am preparing myself for the scripted response from the dealer. I also found a paint defect the other day on the one door. A few cosmetic issues I need to have them take care of.

I am not happy with the car, but I am trying to make a go of it to see if it improves, not a very good experience to say the least.

#20 ·
Update:

Nearing 1800 miles, skipped the 1500 interval to take it in, thinking of waiting till 2K, still grinding and shuddering between shifts. I tried a tank of 93 octane this weekend, no changes or improvements.

Even driving the car like a lead foot at launch, does not stop the issues between shifts.

#23 ·
I appear to be having the same issues. I just bought a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium (9/11 build date) brand new, it's got 500 miles on it now and I notice a grinding (sounds almost like a splash shield scraping but it isn't) when I start from stopped.

Hope this goes away after the break in period but from your guys posts it doesn't seem like it will. Wonder what I should do now...

#24 ·
Identical to mine, I responded to your other post.

I was told it will go away, but it hasn't I have stacked up nearly 1500 miles since it was last in the shop, no improvements and I am taking it back in soon.

Search on Youtube for "Ford PowerShift Transmission Problems" you will see videos of other people who have the same issue and the sounds.

Same transmission is in the Fiesta, same problems:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/07/ttac-bounty-fords-powershift-consumer-enlightenment-memo/

All you can do is keep track of your dealer visits and research your state lemon laws or trade it in for something else, like a manual equipped Focus, a lot of people are doing this.

#27 ·
I have the ST with the 6 speed transmission. The only part of that write-up that sounds valid is the whinning described when in reverse. You will hear that on almost all manuals. But with that said, its only really loud if you are moving pretty quickly in reverse.
The rest of it sounds like a manual driven by someone who has never driven a manual tranny. I would expect the computer to shift much better than described. IMO

#28 ·
Grinding along

I have the same issue and received the same handout from the dealer. I just reached 1200 miles and it's still making the noise. The mechanic drove the car with me in the passenger seat, when the noise happened he said that it is normal. I am giving Ford the benefit of the doubt for now. What can I do after my dealer says it's normal? Love the car except for the grind!

#32 ·
I have the same issue and received the same handout from the dealer. I just reached 1200 miles and it's still making the noise. The mechanic drove the car with me in the passenger seat, when the noise happened he said that it is normal. I am giving Ford the benefit of the doubt for now. What can I do after my dealer says it's normal? Love the car except for the grind!
Hi jonSheppa,

I've responded to your most recent PM. Circle back with me when you hear from your regional customer service manager.

Thanks!

Crystal

#29 ·
Mine came back from the dealer and they said they only heard "normal" functioning sounds... Oh well, I think it's getting better (though I can still hear it every once in a while) but maybe that's just my imagination wanting me not to hear it anymore since I can't do anything about it...

On the bright side at least they did fix my MFT system when I brought it in.

#31 ·
I don't have tranny noises or problems with it. I don't drive it like it has a V8. I slowly apply gas as the engine gets up to speed and stay with traffic flow. Merging onto highway I apply gas and after 40mph give it a little more, plenty of pep to do the job of getting up to speed.
If I mash the pedal too hard, sure it lunges. But I know I don't have a race car, so I don't press hard.

#33 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 Focus Titanium with 7500 miles.
The transmission grinds a little when taking off but nothing major.
I drive like a grandma, however.
I hope I have no issues. I do remain concerned and will pay attention to others' complaints and issues as well as any certain behaviors with my car.
One morning, it shifted hard and revved up to 6,000 rpm between shifts and acted crazy for a few minutes. It also refused to go into Sport Shift. I figured it was a computer issue.
It corrected itself. No probs since then.
My dealership gave me a free 100,000 mile warranty with the car when I bought it in January 2013.

#34 ·
...It corrected itself. No probs since then...
Good news, SilverTomKat. If anything comes up in the future, swing by the dealership; I'm sure they'll take great care of you.

Crystal

#37 ·
Update:

Drove the car today on a 50 mile loop, was horrendous to say the least....time to take it in for another visit at the Dealer. Also experienced my first MFT reboot while using Sync Navigation, the Blue Oval popped up and then the screen went black and rebooted. Luckily I knew where I was going but just seeing how it worked.

Seems like the problems just persist.

The shuddering at low speed is so annoying, feels like it's launching in 3rd gear and sounds like it. I also got another neck snapping lunge between shifts.

Anyone thinking of getting a Focus, think twice and get a manual equipped model or get something else!

#38 ·
Mine goes in to the shop this morning. When taking off from a dead stop, it feels like someone is letting the clutch slip TOO much and the car barely gets any acceleration in 1st gear before shifting into 2nd gear. Beyond that (which is enough), the DCT shifts fine. Will let you know what Camelback Ford says. I'm not beyond complaining to the BBB and AZ Attorney General.

#39 ·
in response to the last couple posts...
My car is okay but I still have issues like this too. My 1st gear feels slow on take-off and I get random neck-snapping lunges still.
someone said you gotta just learn to drive it, and drive it smooth on the gas. It think it's true but it is difficult to do in traffic. If if let off the gas you will lunge. If you stay smooth on the gas you will just have to brake harder - since you're in traffic.
I also think its true you gotta let your car know what your doing... like if you wanna go forward to give some gas... the problem is cruising in traffic is more or less impossible. This is the only downside really for me right now... plus it's embarrrasing when people see your car seizuring at 5 mph lol

#41 ·
I agree. Super-difficult to drive in slow traffic.

Even in traffic at moderate speeds, there's no "moderate" acceleration. You're either coasting or flooring it because when you try to accelerate moderately, it doesn't downshift and just bogs down - but give it the beans and it'll downshift and you'll fly forward. Unless that's just my clutch...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.