Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Focus Zetec S 182 - My Car, pics and 220BHP

21K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  Ecomatt 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have been in the background ever since I picked up my car in March 2012. I'll take you through my ownership.

I had my heart set on a white Zetec S 182 as I wanted a car with perfomance, but low enough emissions to get on my company's car scheme. This car ticked the boxes.

So I picked up a standard one in March. I dont actually have any pics from then, but it was standard so looked like this:-

First mod I did was a new set of Rims in June. These are OEM Black Ford RS wheels:-

Next, I wanted better sound so after replacing the standard speakers, I found the clipping from the stock stereo was too much. I purchased a LC2i and mounted it like this:-

I was able to screw the LC2i straight into the stereo unit. I then used a wiring harness meant for a handsfree kit. This meant I did not need to cut any of the vehicle loom to tap into the speaker out put.

And mounted:-

I purchased a JL Audio sub for the car, and used an old Amp I had lying around:-

After this, I got a few more mods. I have a Mountune quickshift installed, a Revo Air Filter, and did the Snorkel delete mod. I also fiited a Vibratechnics lower engine mount.

Some more of the car:-

So finally, I got the mod I was waiting for since I picked up my car.... a Revo Stg 1 remap! Their test car was hitting 228Bhp, so I knew the car would be quick. When I picked first drove it after the map, I had a constant smile on my face. The way the car drove changed completely. It was effortlessly quick - always ready to go. For me, it drives much happier higher up the range - where I was changing gear at 2,000 - I know find I'm changing at 3,000. I can light up traction control in 2nd and 3rd in the dry - and the same in 4th in the wet. I highly recommend this map. My MPG is currently sitting at 37mpg after two tanks of fuel. I have the map set to 97RON.

So today, I took it to a rolling road to see what power it was producing:-

And the power graph:-

Very happy with the result. The tuner reckons on a cold engine, it could do a few more BHP, and I was expecting it to be in the range of 220-230 BHP.

Next mods are a dump valve, and some wheel spacers to fill the arches out.

Let me know what you think.

See less See more
#3 ·
Holy High Resolutions, Batman!

Haha, looks cool though! They say they brought the european focus over here but they really didn't. Wish we had some the engine and transmission choices you did.

Too cool man! Enjoy!

#8 ·
Thanks!

I've got a 50 meg connection here and it was taking a while with that! LOL.

I love the stereo setup. Very creative. With the type of setups these cars have, I much prefer 'factory integration' setups over using those ugly dash kits to install an aftermarket head unit.

#10 ·
The slip says 1.6 Turbo, an engine we can't get in the states. I'm pretty sure that's the 1.6L Turbo Diesel (TDCI) that's available from an American auto manufacturer everywhere but America. There's also a smaller gas ecoboost engine, and that might be what it is, but I'm pretty sure it's the Diesel (OP?)

I wish we had more than the one engine choice here. I'd gladly have gotten the Diesel in my focus if it was available. Better fuel economy.

#13 ·
Yep, its a 1.6 L Ti-VCT ecoboost petrol engine. It's running 20psi boost to achieve this power.

Show's what a solid engine Ford built for it to produce 220Bhp just from a stage 1 remap...

#19 ·
Got a few bits delievered today:-

10MM spacers (undecided on whether to fit them)
Dump valve
Focus St Mk2.5 fitting pipe
Powerflex rear engine mount insert

I wanted to mock fit the dumpvalve today, so started by removing the symphosiser hose:-

After a lot of effort, I removed the pipe and the sound box:-

This is how I wanted to retain the box as well as fit the dumpvalve. The original pipe is next to it:-

As the take off pipe was not originally designed for my vehicle, the fit was tight - not 100% ideal. So it currently looks like this:-

Its a tight fit - so I might try and get a pipe that matches the original. I didn't really want a blue pipe - I prefer the OEM look, so may either wrap this is black hose tape or get a new black one.

Also, I priced up some bits for my next trip down to the Ford parts department :-

Centre console mat - 1786086 - £12.23

Ford OEM Lowering springs (Eibach) - 1762707 - £157.13
These are meant to lower the car by 30mm, while retaining the Ford warranty.

I also want to get the ST airbox, as it has two feeds into the box, compared to the single feed the Zetec S has.

Airbox - 1803633 - £29.12
Intake - 5160503 - £4.64
Intake split - 5167301 - £11.33
Intake short pipe - 1745845 - £7.26
Intake long pipe - 5176123 - £16.69

#21 ·
Update Time!

I managed to finish off the dump valve fit. I took a feed off the plastic pipes coming from the inlet manifold. To do this, I had to remove the Ford pipes, and use some silicone hose:-

It sounds ok - a quick short dump. you cannot hear it inside the car unless the windows are open. I might look to getting the Forge one which fits on the turbo.

I ordered the parts listed above and they finally arrived.

Center console mat:-

And the air box bits:-

So I made a start on swapping the air boxes today

removed the airbox:-

here you can see my quickshift:-

Airboxes side by side:-

I had to move the MAF sensor elbow from the old box to the new.

I then fitted half the air box:-

and swapped over my filter:-

I also bought this piece, which goes in place of my removed snorkel. I figured it should help smooth the airflow into the airbox:-

Which goes here:-

Like so:-

Finished:-

I'm not actually sure this will bring any benefit to the car\engine, but I'm working on the basis that if its need for the ST.... Also, the Mountune MP200 kit fits this airbox too along with a remap and intercooler.

Initial drive did not feel much different, but I will wait for the ECU to account for the additional air flow.

The old air box:-

And my next mod -

[cool]

#22 ·
Time for an update.

Firstly, the springs I got from Ford turned out to be for the Focus estate version. When they were fitted, the back was higher than standard!

I managed to swap the springs with Ford, and get the correct rear springs.

Fitting the rear springs:-

I also changed my lower torque mount after I found there was too much vibration for my liking.

Went from this:-

To this:-

I will upload some proper pictures of the car once its had a clean and I can find my camera. Until then, here are some quick ones I took after fitting the springs:-

#23 ·
love the look of the car. i want mine to turn out very similar. i also have the sportline springs in mine. was going to get the pro kit but i decided to go lower and get sportline instead. how you liking them so far?

#25 ·
It's worth keeping in mind that this is the engine/trans combination that is in the Fiesta ST. Shows that there's lots of potential out there for that ~2700 lb hot hatch!

#29 ·
ok, its been a while but a bit of an update on the car

I was getting itchy fingers as I hadn't done anything with the car for a while. So I ordered a couple of bits to add to the car after a track day:-

The first part to fit was a Steada rear anti roll bar. When I was out on track, I didn't really feel confident with the handling so I bought this to address that somewhat.

This is the standard one on the car:-

And the new bar:-

Compared to OE:-

This didn't take too long to fit:-

The second part required me taking off the front bumper. This is not too difficult on these cars - a couple of bolts on the edge of the bumper and it comes off:-

Here you can see how I modded the inside to allow better airflow to the airbox:-

I also took off the fog surrounds as I wanted to spray them gloss black to match the other bits on the front bumper:-

a view of the front with the active shutter grills:-

And the part in question removed and what will replace it:-

To fit this intercooler, I had to lose the active shutters:-

And here is the intercooler fitted:-

A bracket is provided to hold the motor for the active shutters:-

Bumper ready to go back on:-

And fitted:-

Here are the bits that I removed:-

And how the fog surrounds now look:-

#34 ·
Thanks for the comments!

Just to give some feedback on the mods - the rear anti roll bar made a massive difference to the handling. When I went back on the track after fitting it, the handling felt much more responsive and the car gripped much more. I would definitely recommend it if you like throwing your car around bends.

As for the intercooler, I cant really comment until I go to the rolling road again, but I have not felt any power loss in hot weather or on the track (I have done in the past). One think I have noticed - it can drink fuel when I floor it now!

I dont have any more mods planned - however I would like a dual exit exhaust. Unfortunately, all the mods over here are for the ST!

I might hold out for the 2015 ST....

#35 ·
I see you fitted the ST airbox like me. I am liking the build of the car so far. I am looking at fitting the Airtec intercooler but cant justify the expense as I am getting married later this year.
I removed my powerflex insert and fitted the mount from the electric focus. It has solid rubber bushes so it doesn't transmit harsh vibrations through the cabin. I haven't done much to my car apart from the ST airbox and Superchips Bluefin. Though i might fit the sound symposer from the Fiesta ST for a bit more of intake noise in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.