Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#2,717 ·
ok thinking of plasti dippin the wheels tomorrow. any suggestions or tips? they are svt 5 sspokes

#2,725 ·
well i ended up doing it yesterday and to say the least it came out like crap! I already peeled it off my wheels. It was super sticky and had lots of texture on the finished product. Idk what I did wrong because ive plasti dipped other pieces of my car that came out great. I heard i may have had a bad batch of plasti dip. IDK it sucks though I spent like $50 on that crap.

#2,730 ·
I did it all right. it was done in a garage, temp was about 65, wheels were cleaned real good with soap and water to start, I started with real light coats and gradually got heavier. I painted my front lower bumper with black plasti dip before and it turned out great. This time it looked completely different. I dont really think I did anything wrong. IDK but i want my 50$ back or new cans of paint!

#2,733 ·
Go there where you got them and tell them what happened, sounds like you had bad cans... Be real with them and I'm sure they'll do something for you, if not just give you more cans for free. I had a bad can (only sprayed air) and took it back and got a full refund (but got another) so try that and see what happens.

#2,736 ·
Yay! Blaze purple over black with silver metalizer. Doing the rest of the dash after my SES dash pieces get here... Wanted it to go over the whole dash, not just the center strip like the silver in the SE.

The unfortunate part of using silver metalizer? There's glitter EVERYWHERE now. I foresee many hours with tape and patience in my future.

#2,741 ·
start by removing the radio and the ashtray, then there are four screws just inside the radio opening....remove those, and then grab inside the ashtray area and the radio area and give a good tug, should pop out....then you'll have to disconnect the wiring and the a/c knob cables to get it all the way out.

#2,743 ·
I don't think it would- it's thin, almost like a mist. I think it needs a layer of dip to grab onto, even then- my experience with it so far is that no matter how much you try to rub off the excess- it sheds glitter everywhere! I may give up on my sparkle purple endeavor because I don't want a completely glittery car! ;) literally, it seems to bed in rubber, and wherever it shed there it is not coming back off.

Best advice I could give is mask WELL then coat over it maybe with a heavy layered clear dip, then it might mostly peel off.

#2,756 ·
Plasti-dipped my old Cobra. I got it wrecked so it had a blue V6 front end with a yellow body. We then used the V6 car's rear bumper and a few things, kinda used it as a sleeper. I enventually bought a cobra front and re-did the mess but this is the best pic of the plasti-dip I have.

And a quick video for anyone that love the 5.0's scream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiONhSmOodk

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.