Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#2,458 ·
thanks. if you like it so much, give me a vote in the ROTM. its been a long process... and its never over.. but its getting close to perfect, at least in my eyes.

#2,464 ·
it may flow with the interior, but as far as the exterior, maybe some more touches of blue would help.. or a side shot to see the brakes.

#2,465 ·
I'll try and get a better side shot when it gets nicer out. I would love to add more blue, but I also don't want to go to town on it with a bunch of ricer stripes all over the car. Just at a creative stand still at the moment I guess. I guess I can always experiment by laying down some dip first, then painting over it so I can peel it off if I don't like it...

#2,467 ·
Pulled all the hatch area panels and sprayed them with black dip. Did 3-4 heavy coats. Its on there good! Next up is the rear door panels. Going to take them off to do them. I can then also add some dynamat to the door skin while the panel is off. From there will just keep moving forward to finish the whole interior.

#2,469 ·
Well I tried the SEM black paint and it does not hold up very well at all. The only thing good about the SEM is if you paint it over the vinyl like on our doors it doesn't get tacky to the touch like Krylon and others do. But again it still scratches off easily from the vinyl or hard plastic. I did try some Krylon Fusion on my spare center console and that seems to be pretty damn tough. The fusion seems good on hard plastic but not on the vinyl door panels. That's why im trying the dip. Seems pretty durable if you put it on thick enough through multiple coats. I'll see how it holds up over time. Of course I try to be a little careful.

Side note, I dipped my rear hatch trim strip 3-4 months ago and it has held up perfect even through multiple trips through those heavy cloth car washes and my own scrubbing with a mitt.

#2,470 ·
It's not perfect. The hood is still in it's construction phase.

#2,474 ·
It used ti have the vent inserts from a stang. I fiberglassed them closed.

#2,475 ·
Functional heat extractors custom by me.

And that's almost two cans

#2,482 ·
I do find it kinda funny that both cans have the picture of the old cap on it. But in red...

#2,485 ·
Heres the finished product of doing my whole focus. since theget the ive done a few more coats and have peeled the excess on the windows but you get the picture. Not a horrible job for all spray cans :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.