Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Accidently Broke a gas pump nozzle hose!

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  focusonthefocus19 
#1 ·
Okay, I was going to fill it up with premium, and I paid 15 dollars worth of gas. Went into the station, paid, and went back to my car. It didn't work, so I went back into the station and she said "I'm sorry, go to pump 5" I was in a rush because at that time the station was really busy, and I didn't want any one to get my gas. So the nozzle was still in my car, and I was rushing out for got to take it out, and drove off to the other pump. I heard a sound, and some one yelled dumb ass. Of course I almost started to cry a little because I was treated horrible as a little kid, and this happened. Just brought back a lot of memories, and of course I felt so freaking stupid. So what will happen? I went back into the store, and I thought the cashier knew and she said it's okay, but I'm just not sure she really knew what had happened. I filled up, and drove away all shakey, and felt very sick.

Also another factor which made me in a hurry was I pay my payments at the dealer where I got my car bi weekly. If I'm a few hours late they shut my car off. Now I'm worried, and stressing like hell.

What if some one wrote down my license plate number, or called the cops? I've passed at least two constables, and they didn't do any thing. I'm just scared.

Has any one did this before? I can't afford any fees, charges, or any thing.

Since I get paid very little I can't afford insurance of my own. I have the dealers in house insurance, and they don't give out proof of insurance. I still have to get liability in my name though, and since I'm only 20 it would make it even harder for me.

Please help me.

See less See more
#2 ·
You have no idea how often that happens.

Chances are, you won't have to do anything since you spoke to the cashier and she let you off the hook.

You made a booboo, it happens.

Edit: Did some reading and apparently it is up to the gas station whether or not they pursue payment for the broken pump. It seems to me the girl was not trained in handling the situation because she should've alerted the manager and taken your contact information.

What brand of station did this occur at? This happens on average once a month at gas stations across the US and most stations leave it up to the managers whether or not they file a claim with insurance or press any charges. If the situation is handled poorly (like in this case where the cashier did not follow any type of procedure) it will be difficult for the station to put any blame on you. YOU talked to her, they'll have that on camera if they need to review it. She let you go without getting your contact info.

I wouldn't worry. If anything comes back to you make sure you've got your story and go into the situation with an apology. Those pumps are about $300 to fix and lord knows the gas companies make more than that every minute. The chances you'll have to pay for anything are minimal.

#9 ·
She was a teen. Real young. I'm just not sure if she actaually knew what happened. I went in there as she was taking care of customers, and she saw me, and said it's okay. Was she talking about the 15 dollar in the wrong pump, or the accident? I didn't say any thing to her, and I was so embarresed I took off. If they see me on camera then what do I do, and what will happen?

#4 ·
Dont worry about it, things like that happen all the time, you let the cashier know, you should be fine.

BUT..

Also another factor which made me in a hurry was I pay my payments at the dealer where I got my car bi weekly. If I'm a few hours late they shut my car off. Now I'm worried, and stressing like hell.
Shut your call off? what, never heard of this, and I have a feeling that your dealer is feeding you a line of BS here, Unless they installed something (which to my knowledge doesn't exist) I wouldnt think they would be THAT worried about a 10 year old car...

And get your own insurance. If something happens you'll be glad you have it.

#6 ·
Dont worry about it, things like that happen all the time, you let the cashier know, you should be fine.

BUT..

Shut your call off? what, never heard of this, and I have a feeling that your dealer is feeding you a line of BS here, Unless they installed something (which to my knowledge doesn't exist) I wouldnt think they would be THAT worried about a 10 year old car...

And get your own insurance. If something happens you'll be glad you have it.

Yeah, they installed a GPS device in my car. They do this to all their cars. If your a day late, and some times when their in a bad mood a few hours late for what ever reason they shut it off. When you try to start it nothing happens like there isn't a battery installed.

I don't think the cashier actually knew. I walked in there as scared, and embarrassed I was, and she said it's okay. I didn't have time to say any thing. So since I was scared I just walked out. She was with a lot of customers, and I didn't really want to say what I just did.

#12 ·
ull be fine bro..

but that dealer you deal with sounds extremely shady. Have they ever "shut you off" cause a gps device won't be able to do that. And if you are late for a payment they cannot just shut your car off. I've never ever heard of such thing.. It cannot be legal.. And in house insurance? wth is that lol do you pay for that?

#16 ·
Eh their alright. Some other dealers around here do the same thing with shutting down their cars. It has lojack, and some other device. My uncle's truck got shut off due to a late payment at a different dealer. One of my friend's he's gotten a car from the place I got mine at, and he's been late one time, and they shut his car off in the middle of town. Yeah, it's all messed up but it is what it is.

Their in house insurance only covers their car, which the state doesn't require proof of that type of insurance. (Sounds like BS to me to, trust me) I pay 43 every two weeks, and for my age that's unrealistically cheap. I still have to get liability of my own to cover the other people's injuries if I do get in a wreck, but money is very tight for me right now.

My cousin works there, and she doesn't let them screw me around. Still have AC problems though.

#13 ·
ok so some quick googleing and I guess there are dealers that install PASSTIME devices hooked up to the started solenoid? Did you sign a contract that authorizes them to do that? First thing I would do is cut that sucker off lol

here you go lol

http://cars.blurtit.com/q399307.html

i do not condone criminal behavior, this comment is for comical purposes only.

#14 ·
it happens plenty... new vehicles are now equipped with said devices. (GM especially with onstar) if they find you speeding they can send a ticket through the mail. they can even disable your vehicle if you fail to pay.

Elizabeth got that right though... every pump I've seen has a quick-disconnect made by Husky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.