Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Catback Tip Replacement Question

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  S2 
#1 ·
Ok, I got the MBRP catback system (and no this post has nothing to do with how loud it is so leave that out of it) but when I got it, somehow the tip got bent slightly. Actually the tip on the MBRP isn't the nicest one out there anyway and I am thinking about changing it. I want to change it not only cause that dent looks like crap but the MBRP doesn't stick out far enough from where my Wings West kit sits, so the tip is about an inch or so under the lip which sucks cause I don't want the heat from the exhaust discoloring the paint, etc. Anyway, I need to extend it outwards about an inch or two at most. Also, the MBRP tip is 'rattling' against my Wings West kit also which is annoying. It only does it when the system is warmed up and only when I restart the car (after stopping and shutting it off of course) and when I shift hard. Not a big deal but still there.

Anyway my question is, the MBRP tip is double walled so I can't just go and cut just the tip, looks like that double wall extends deeper into the pipe. Also, what kind of tips are out there that are not ricey? I used to have a Ractive one but ractive is sorta 'ricey' to me. Any suggestions?

I did a search also and it's not overally common that someone would swap out the tip from a catback system for something else. Then again the BORLA or MAGNAFLOW has amazing tips compared to the MBRP.

Anyway, shoot away...... thanks in advance......

See less See more
#4 ·
Steeda Magnaflow tip? Post a link.....

Steeda's catback system is a BORLA rebadge.... either way MAGNAFLOW or BORLA, you can't just buy the tip and the thing that I am really wondering is about that double walled pipe. If I cut it and extent it and put a different tip on it, is that cool? I still can't believe how HOT that tip gets, even being double walled.

Not sure if I need to get another double walled pipe welded on? If I just need to leave it as is, etc.... not sure.....

#8 ·
I was thinking the same thing about tip not clearing my kit

#9 ·
i'd just have a shop cut off the tip and enough pipe that they could just weld on a new tip and pipe as far out as you'd like it. as far as teh actual tip goes, check with the muffler shops. they'll usually have a few around that my tickle your fancy.

Mike

#12 ·
You should be abeal to tel if you look at it. The tip on my Magnaflow system is double walled and you can see where the double wall ends or starts just before the tip about 6 to 8 inches. The double wall should be thicker than the rest of the pipe. Maybe that helped.

#14 ·
Just an update, talked to MBRP on the phone yesterday, they are shipping me a brand new tip (their new designed one) and a piece of 2-1/4" pipe to allow me to cut the old one off, extend and mount the new tip. Customer service at MBRP +++++

#15 ·
For free? Thats pretty damn good customer service if you aske me.

#16 ·
Yep for free, and I was telling the truth obviously about the tip being bent in shipping but I was quite shocked cause I basically said on the phone, is there anyway I can buy another tip off you guys and they straight out said, no we'll just send you one. I did tell them that I am a 'heavy user' of ff.com and have had my car in shows (which I have) but either way, I told him that afterwards, after Eric said he would send me the tip as well as the extra pipe.

All in all, I am extremely impressed with MBRP....

#19 ·
^^^^^^ that has nothing to do with what I posted, funny cause you said you forgot the topic and then posted about something different then I was talking about.

Anyway, Magnaflow has one of the better looking tips out there.

Will post pics on here when I get the new tip on, before with the old tip and after pics.... probably a good week or so from now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.