How do you manually open a back latch on a 2001 Focus ZX3 from the inside? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
DBible3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 139841
What I Drive: 2001 blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 DBible3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How do you manually open a back latch on a 2001 Focus ZX3 from the inside?

Just got a Ford Focus and I'm trying to replace a tail lamp housing on my Focus by grabbing one from another at Pull-A-Part. The problem I have is that I need the back latch open to get to the one screw on the housing and the vehicles in their lot have the back latches closed, with no battery in the car (so the electric button on the front dash has no power). Does anyone know how I can get the back latch open manually? Is there a release cable, if so, where is it located? I was told I could use a jumper box, but I don't have one nor do I know anyone that has one. I don't want to buy a $50 appliance to get a $20 part.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
sykozis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sykozis Good Standing Member
Unless there's a release handle on the outside, there's no release cable. To my knowledge, the latch is self-contained and electronic.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
ShadowFocus603
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118448
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT EAP 2Dr #1878

FF Reputation: 1 ShadowFocus603 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Best bet would be to take a battery with you. Barring that get inside it and pull the trim panel. These hatches have a key therefor they are mechanical as well as electrical. Fiddle with the lock cylinder where it attaches to the linkage, get an idea of which way key would turn (use your own vehicle as a basis) then push/pull the linkage as necessary.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
sykozis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 137929
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 sykozis Good Standing Member
I always forget about the key lock. Can't remember the last time I used my key to open my hatch.

Anyway, if he can get the trim panel off, he should be able to figure out a way to open the hatch.

From the looks of it, once the trim panel is off all he needs to do is disconnect the release cable from the lock cylinder and pull on the cable end to release the latch.

Guess I should have pulled up the manual before my first post....oh well. Too late now.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
gondorian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105695
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SE Wagon 5spd Zetec

FF Reputation: 7 gondorian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The trim panel isn't easy to get of with the door closed though. Once you have convinced it to come off you can just pull on the cable that is attached to the lock cylinder and the latch will open. It's really too easy after you get the trim piece off.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Newer models have the "hostage release handle" so you can open them from the inside. Very sensible.
Bust the trim piece to get at the release otherwise. It's very fiddly to get out with the hatch shut.

Bookmarks & Social Networks