Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Removing OEM shift knob: How to

175K views 151 replies 55 participants last post by  Focused4Rally 
#1 ·
Tonight I decided to go ahead and take apart the shift knob/boot/trim on my Focus, to figure out the procedure. Searching forums showed lots of questions but no definite answers for taking everything apart, nor were there any for the thread pitch of the shift knob.

So, here's how it went:

First, remove the trim piece around the base of the shift boot. There are clips all around it, but the ones that really hold it down are located in three of the four corners (The corner missing one is the rearward passenger side, next to R). By gripping the trim piece through the boot, some firm tugs and pulls should see them pop out, one by one. I shifted through a few gears to reposition the shifter, giving the boot extra slack when needed so that I didn't stretch it. For undoing the knob, grip the top of the boot to prevent it from spinning and start unscrewing. It can take a fair bit of effort to get the knob to start turning.

When the whole assembly is out of the way, this is what's left:

This is everthing that came out, taken apart.

The boot clips to the underside of the trim. It's very easy to remove and clip back in - the boot itself is pretty much permanently mounted to the plastic base that allows it to clip in though. An aftermarket boot would probably have to be attached to this base (With the original boot cut out) if you're looking for a quality, OEM-looking install.

The shift knob is held to the boot via a clip that sandwiches the top of the boot between itself and the base of the knob.

Said clip sits here on the boot (Looking from the inside)..

..and the knob then pops in here.

After figuring out the removal and installation procedure, next was to measure the thread pitch. I'm brand new to Focuses, so I didn't know if it's be the same as previous generations or not. I measured it as 12 x 1.25.

So anyway, that's what I discovered in my trial tonight. Now that I know how, and the thread pitch, I can go pick a nice new shift knob for the Fofo. Hope this helps! [thumb]

See less See more
#75 ·
Note that because the knob is 12x1.25, SVTF knobs (and any knobs which work for the SVTF) will also work with the MK3.

I put my delrin Kartboy WRX shift knob which I had used in my 02 SVTF into my 2012 Focus this morning. Fits perfect and feels great :) Here's the product link: http://www.fastwrx.com/kadeshkn.html

IMG_20130215_092417_GNEX by mellephants, on Flickr

IMG_20130215_093419_GNEX by mellephants, on Flickr

IMG_20130215_091659_GNEX by mellephants, on Flickr

IMG_20130215_093712_GNEX by mellephants, on Flickr

IMG_20130215_091637_GNEX by mellephants, on Flickr

IMG_20130215_093723_GNEX by mellephants, on Flickr

#81 ·
Not necessarily, aesthetics are a big reason and not all knobs are heavier than OEM.

#84 ·
I'm working with Chris to make sure we get the correct measurements for the counterbore for the reverse pull up and the depth for the threading so it sits a bit lower or equal to stock. We (st owners) might have to cut the collar down Just a bit so that the collar pull up goes all the way into the new knob.

It's just a little hard since I'm in Canada emailing him pictures :p and giving him the specs needed.

#86 ·
I have tried many different shift knobs of various weights, and on both the Getrag MT 285 and Ford MTX75, I prefer lighter weight knobs for the precise feel, and increased accuracy gained by losing all that counterweight mass.

I think part of this is just *how* you shift. I shift with my fingertips, treating the shifter like a little joystick. I like to feel the gates, synchros, and gear meshing in my hand while I shift. The heavy knobs mask all of those sensations, and instead provide a solid unified thunk into gear. I can understand why that is desirable for a lot of people, too, but I don't prefer it.

BTW Latheworks has made many lightweight knobs as well, a few friends of mine use them and still swear by them.

#87 ·
I've got a plastic cue ball style knob and I don't mind the lack of weight one bit.

I had a driver friend (from the UK) that always told me, if it takes more than two fingers to shift into gear you're not at the right speed/rpm/etc... No need to be forcing anything.

#92 ·
Removed the OEM knob today and installed the Blox Racing Type R Billet knob (Limited Series neo-chrome). Don't have a pic of it installed (did it at night), but here's a pic of the Blox knob itself. It's a 450g bit, so it's weightiness improved the shift feel a lot. Now, I just have to install the Steeda STS this wekend to complete it. Getting the stock knob to come off of the boot clip was singularly the hardest part.

#94 ·
It's not on the Steeda STS (trying to find time for that), but here it is on the stock shifter. I used the provided washer from Blox to secure the boot to the base of the knob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.