Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to install hood pins??

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  AdmiralZX3 
#1 ·
anybody ever install hood pins? i did a brief search, but didnt find anything at a glance. if you have done it please post instructions, or post a link on how to do it. also, if you got pins installed please post pics so i can get an idea of where the placement should be. thanks

I found a mustang forum with a post on how to do it, but seeing as how this isnt a mustang community, its a focus community, that doesnt do squat for me.

If i can get a good set of instructions, ill use the instructions and take pics and post them for everybody, and credit both of us.

#3 ·
well hears how i did um on my svt with my scoot 2 hood. it is practically impossible to install them into the stock radiator support due to the webbing on the bottom of it, lack of space, and weird angle(my opinon only on that so dont bash me cause you know that your brothers uncles stepson inlaws dads got his pins in the radiator support, to me it is impossible). so what i did was fabbed up some brackets out of aluminum and mounted them to the center area of the radiator support. basicly between the headlights. the brackets i made from a stick of flat aluminum that was 2 inches wide and an 1/8 inch thick. i cut the peices 4 inches long.(basicly 4"by2" by 1/8th") i then marked the peice in the middle. then with a vice i bent the peice of aluminum at that mark. what i ended up with was an angle that would bolt or rivet to the center of the radiator support but would extend off and be level with the ground. it sounds alittle weird but the pictures should clear it up. i then mounted half of this bracket to the radiator support with the other half sticking off the front of it. the part that sticks off the front i drilled for the pin to go in and be bolted down. the cool thing with this design is that i can easlily remove the pins in a matter of mins if i deside to put my stock hood on and then just simply replace the pins when i want to put back on the fiberglass hood. as of now i have the stock hood on so i didnt have any pics of what the pins look like in the bracket but you can image from the pics what it looks like. also the brackets arent of the greatest look but they work. if i had a lil bit of time to play i would have painted them black and sanded the edges to make them look good. i made them in about a half an hour. also these are very strong brackets. ive had my vehicle in triple digit speeds with no issues of failure. if anything i do advise doing as i did and rivet the brackets on. i used four 1/4" hole aluminum rivets with large heads and steel cores to attach each bracket.

i hope these pics clear up what i was trying to explain

an uplose of one of the brackets. like i said not the prettiest but it works. so extra time and some flat black paint and they would look great.

after looking i found a pic with the pins in the bracket and the hood up. if you look close you can see the pins.

and finally a pic of how the hoodpins look with the hood closed. hope this helps ya. if you have anymore questions just let me know and ill try to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.