Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SCCA AutoX - Anybody running an STS SVT Focus in here?

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  svt_4_eva 
#1 ·
I am winning my class (G Stock) at the local autoXs now with my bone-stock SVTF. I was thinking about coming back next spring with an STS or otherwise modified car. Anybody in here running a tuned SVT in SCCA ? Also looking to do some regular laps at the local road course as well...

In any case, I am dissapointed with the severe lack of aftermarket goodies for the SVTF and wondered if anybody had already gone through this process.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I run a zx3, and i finish second pretty much every time at SCCA events. First is a mini (i run H stock). There are a few guys that run svts, and they are mostly stock. The do have R-compound tires on Kazera 17 inch wheels. I believe the tires are Khumo Victoracers. I run falken Azenis on my stock 16 inch wheels. Auto-x is fun as crap.

#3 ·
I am new to AutoX (just did my 2nd one). How about some tips on how to win in GS? Celicas and MiniS are the class of GS. I think I need to go slower in the slow parts and not push so hard.

Here are some pictures of the last AutoX.....I drive the black SVTF that is running on 3 wheels.
www.stewartcomputer.com/Autoxsep

#4 ·
I know of 2 SVTs in my club, and both run GS. The one that does the best has Konis, R-compounds, and a lot of experience.

#5 ·
He's not going to be in G Stock if he has Koni's...

#6 ·
im running STS with a cold air, and TB . the other foci up here run STS as well, except one with falken azzenis who runs HS i think.

#7 ·
rollout said:
I am new to AutoX (just did my 2nd one). How about some tips on how to win in GS? Celicas and MiniS are the class of GS. I think I need to go slower in the slow parts and not push so hard.

Here are some pictures of the last AutoX.....I drive the black SVTF that is running on 3 wheels.
www.stewartcomputer.com/Autoxsep

You should be able to stomp all over the Celicas, but those Mini's are awfully nimble... Pardon me if I say anything you already know.

One of the best things about the SVTF is it's neutral chassis. Work on getting your rear-end to rotate through trail-braking (braking while turning in) and throttle lifts into the turns. This will help you set up a better line and keep your momentum up. You shouldn't shift more than once or twice, period. I had been shifting into 2nd and keeping it there the whole time, but in my last one I kept it in 1st till the very end (where I missed 2nd and lost 2-3 tenths. :( ) I was surprised by just how far I could go in 1st, and was able to stay at the top of the powerband through every turn. I hit the rev limiter at the end of a couple straights, but it more than made up for it when I was able to brake hard to get the best (and not necessarily the fastest) entry speed and be able to power through and out of the turn without languishing at low revs like I had when I went in fast and left it in second.

Definitely take the time to get set up for the best line. Coming in 5-10MPH slower is alright if it allows you to maintain that speed throughout the entire turn and really power out of it instead of struggling to overcome understeer through the turn and coming out off-line and off-cam.

I went from a 63.1 to a 61.5 and won GS the very first time I did this. And we all know how much 1.3 seconds is!

Hope I helped.

#8 ·
Carrera26 said:
He's not going to be in G Stock if he has Koni's...
Um, yes he is. If you read your rules, you'll see that dampers are free in stock classes.

13.5.A : The make of shock absorber may be substituted providing that the number, type, (e.g., tube, lever, etc.) system of attachment and attachment points are not altered.

Its not unheard of professionals running $2000+ custom dampers at national events.

#9 ·
And that's what I get for taking the words of others instead of looking through all of the rules...

My bad. Maybe I should just get some Hoosiers, dampers, and crash bolts to try and run really well in G Stock and see if I can maybe compete beyond my division.

#10 ·
I autocross my SVTF. G stock with an ITG pro-filter. I was wondering if urethane rear motor mount bushings would bump me out of stock? What about uretahane rear sway bar bushings? I run Fulda Extremo tires (180 tread wear) which were on the car when i got it? Any suggestion on an autocross only tire that will fit the stock 17's? Sorry if I hijacked this thread.

#11 ·
bicyclemotocross said:
I was wondering if urethane rear motor mount bushings would bump me out of stock? What about uretahane rear sway bar bushings?
Yes and yes. Both will knock you out of GS. And crash bolts are still in the air. While they are a Ford part, its not in the service manual...

#12 ·
That's BS if they let the Celicas run around with crash bolts and I cannot...

Man, I really need to get an up-to-date rulebook.

As for tires, Kumho Victoracers and Hoosier AS303s are purported to be very good for full-on race tires, and the Falken Azenis are great for an aggresive summer tire / autocross tire. Very inexpensive as well.

#13 ·
SCCA Rules

This a compilation of the 2003 and 2004 SCCA rules book:
Stock Class Rules.
Note the "shock absorber" section. Yes, you can change them.
You can also run any front sway bar, but can't touch the rear.

The gereral rule of thumb: If the rules don't mention it.....you can't do it.
I.E. the rear motor mount, which I've now got installed.
Oh well, STS.....here I come.[;)]

I now see why you mention to bring the factory service manuals to National events, Egz;
"Alternate parts listed in a factory parts manual are not authorized unless their use is specifically referenced in the factory service manual or in a service bulletin for the specific model."

Oh.
Back to the MiniS and the Celica.
Haven't lost to either one yet in GS.
In fact, I CREAMED the Celica.
Bad drivers??

G
#14 ·
i run sts. you can see on my sig what i have cai rear sway frotn and rear strut tower cat back konis and kumho mx. i almost always cam in second every race. there is a guy in a black v-spec that cna driev his ass off and lawyas beats me.

as far as celicas go a celica with upgraded suspension would own our car sorry to say. those cars handle amazingly with a few upgrades

#15 ·
Wow...
There's a lot more you can do in Stock than I thought you could. You can add a friggin roll cage!?!

I have never had problems with Celica's but I have been smacked around by a certain, VERY well driven Mini.

I think I am definitely going to stick in G Stock for now and see how far I can push within the class.

#16 ·
yeah, i have to deal with mins in H-stock as well. I talked to a guy that used to run a FSP zx3, and now he runs a G stock SVT, and next season, ill be all stock, but after that i think im going FSP. I have a few national level civics in sts that i would never be able to touch, thier like 600 pounds lighter than my car. even if i stripped out my car, they would still be way lighter than me, and the drivers kick butt, so no chance of me winning sts.

G
#17 ·
my fridn ahs a 82 civic si with onyl kni adjustables and he pwns all he usuall gets the ftd but then again he is also a professional driver. just shows you what u can do with a 92 hp car if you knwo hwo to drive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.